PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star
    PhillyFlyers's Avatar Become A Pro!

Favorite Childhood Candy Now Fukking Ruined--Goldenberg's Peanut Chews

So I'm not much of a candy eater, but every once in a while I get a craving for old childhood candies of my youth.

So I go into the store the other day, and I see one of my all-time favorite childhood candies. A real Philadelphia tradition.

Goldenberg's Peanut Chews.

So, I'm like oh yeah that'll work. I grab 3 packages and head off. As I make my way to pay for them, I read the back of the label.

WTF!

Not the candy I used to know.

At all.

I'm a health conscious person so I read the back of the ingredients labels all of the time.

What do I see? Partially Hydrogenated Oil.

If you don't know what that is, it's basically a fukking heart attack in a package.

I can't tell you how fukking disappointed I was.

When I was a kid, this was an all-natural candy. Peanuts, Dark Chocolate, etc. that was basically it. The company was bought out though and the new owners changed the formula. Now the candy is artificial, unhealthy, and tastes like shit.

Now, if you look at the label it says partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, glycerine, and sorbitan tristearate (an emulsifier).

WTF is that shit?

Anyway, I put the candy back where I found them and wound up settling for a coffee instead.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below
    PuckIt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers View Post
    A real Philadelphia tradition.

You smell that??? .....Goldberg!!!!

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by PuckIt View Post
    You smell that??? .....Goldberg!!!!

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

It has been 36 years, 9 months, and 18 days since the Flyers won the Stanley Cup.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

It has been 36 years, 9 months, and 18 days since the Flyers won the Stanley Cup.

So what? It was almost 50 seasons for the blackhawks before they won in 09-10. It was 53 seasons for the rangers before they won again 93-94.

What is your point?

The penguins can't compare to the Flyers in any way.

Look at your history and then look at ours.

franchise record
    flyers: 1731-1186-457-86 ---- (4005p)
    penguins: 1477-1517-383-84 ---- (3421p)

losing seasons
    flyers: 11 of 44
    penguins: 21 of 44

best record
    flyers: 3 ('75, '80, '85)
    penguins: 1 ('93)

seasons in top 5
    flyers: 17
    penguins: 6

division titles
    Flyers: 16

playoff appearances
    Flyers: 35 of 44 --- 79.5%
    penguins: 26 of 44 --- 59.1%

finals appearances
    Flyers: 8
    penguins: 4

conference finals or NHL semifinals appearances
    Flyers: 16

conference championships won
    Flyers 8
    penguins 4
    Flyers have had a better record than penguins in 30 of 44 seasons. tied in '72

Now go back to that small mudhole you call a city.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

You put waaaaaaay too much time into that and all you proved is that the Flyers can't finish

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

You put waaaaaaay too much time into that and all you proved is that the Flyers can't finish
    Can't finish? take a look at those stats again genius and tell me who can't finish?

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

Can't finish? take a look at those stats again genius and tell me who can't finish?
    One of the advantages of being fact-selective, lol. I see high #'s of playoff appearances, conference championships, finals appearances, but there's one important stat you seem to have neglected.

Mriceyman
    Mriceyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2373

is the stat the one that shows the nhl fixing the lottery so the pens got.crosby?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

One of the advantages of being fact-selective, lol. I see high #'s of playoff appearances, conference championships, finals appearances, but there's one important stat you seem to have neglected.
    What is selective about it? 3 Cups to 2? The Devils have won more Cups than we have and they are not anywhere near the franchise The Philadelphia Flyers are either. What is your pointless point?

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mriceyman View Post
    is the stat the one that shows the nhl fixing the lottery so the pens got.crosby?

Well played sir.

The fact is the penguins lost on purpose to get Crosby. Losing on purpose was a part of their strategy. In this case, it worked for them.

However, you will never see losing on purpose a strategy of The Philadelphia Flyers.

BTW this thread is about childhood candy. Can we please keep it on topic? How the fukk it got turned into a hockey thread is beyond me.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

Well played sir.

The fact is the penguins lost on purpose to get Crosby. Losing on purpose was a part of their strategy. In this case, it worked for them.

However, you will never see losing on purpose a strategy of The Philadelphia Flyers.

BTW this thread is about childhood candy. Can we please keep it on topic? How the fukk it got turned into a hockey thread is beyond me.
    Oh no, we're gonna add conspiracies to the thread too?! If it happened to be true, i'd say it was a great move. Look at them now!

And the thread got off-topic when I noticed you said "Philadelphia classic Goldenberg," which instantly made me think of Mighty Ducks. Why you responded with a youtube video of a lucky shot is beyond me

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Oh no, we're gonna add conspiracies to the thread too?! If it happened to be true, i'd say it was a great move. Look at them now!

And the thread got off-topic when I noticed you said "Philadelphia classic Goldenberg," which instantly made me think of Mighty Ducks. Why you responded with a youtube video of a lucky shot is beyond me

It's not a conspiracy theory it's a fact that has been acknowledged by every fan of every other team outside of pittsburgh.

If a movie reminded you of the candy's name then you are wrong totally. The kid's name in the movie isn't Goldenberg it's Goldberg.

But what can I say, you're a penguins fan after all.

Now, back to the topic.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

It's not a conspiracy theory it's a fact that has been acknowledged by every fan of every other team outside of pittsburgh.

If a movie reminded you of the candy's name then you are wrong totally. The kid's name in the movie isn't Goldenberg it's Goldberg.

But what can I say, you're a penguins fan after all.

Now, back to the topic.
    You're right, there's no similarities between the names "Goldenberg" and "Goldberg"

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

You're right, there's no similarities between the names "Goldenberg" and "Goldberg"
    Yeah you're right, letters don't make a difference. Guess that's why you like Shittsburgh.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

And here I was trying to be nice.

The only negative thing about Pittsburgh is that it could possibly fall victim to the Filthadelphia trade-winds blowing the stench of your city across the turnpike.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

And here I was trying to be nice.

The only negative thing about Pittsburgh is that it could possibly fall victim to the Filthadelphia trade-winds blowing the stench of your city across the turnpike.

Philadelphia is the greatest city in this nation's history.

What is Shittsburgh? A backwoods mudhole filled with rednecks and people who can't hack it in Philly live.

How's your basketball team doing?

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

Whoa whoa whoa...that's a low blow. Minus points for you. This would have turned into a drunken brawl in my college days.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Whoa whoa whoa...that's a low blow. Minus points for you. This would have turned into a drunken brawl in my college days.
    What's a low blow? The truth?

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

"How's your basketball team doing?" = the truth?

Philly may be the nations greatest city...for heroin trafficking.

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

"How's your basketball team doing?" = the truth?

Philly may be the nations greatest city...for heroin trafficking.
    Again, what is Shittsburgh? Can you answer? It's a mudhole filled with rednecks with no real history, culture and importance.

The place where people who can't hack Philly get put out to pasture.

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below

Man thats that i get for betting on the Flyers. Almosy -300 ML and the reverse PL wins!

PhillyFlyers
    SBR'S Biggest Star

Man thats that i get for betting on the Flyers. Almosy -300 ML and the reverse PL wins!
    Stop hijacking this thread.

If you want to talk hockey there's a hockey forum.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

eat the candy philly, buy all three bars ,but eat only one save the other two bars for the pittsburg steelers games you can throw them at santa claus next year lol

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Are you sure that the ingredients aren't the same, but in the 70s and 80s you could call them natural ingredients without calling them what they really were?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

So I'm not much of a candy eater, but every once in a while I get a craving for old childhood candies of my youth.

So I go into the store the other day, and I see one of my all-time favorite childhood candies. A real Philadelphia tradition.

So, I'm like oh yeah that'll work. I grab 3 packages and head off. As I make my way to pay for them, I read the back of the label.

WTF!

Not the candy I used to know.

At all.

I'm a health conscious person so I read the back of the ingredients labels all of the time.

What do I see? Partially Hydrogenated Oil.

If you don't know what that is, it's basically a fukking heart attack in a package.

I can't tell you how fukking disappointed I was.

When I was a kid, this was an all-natural candy. Peanuts, Dark Chocolate, etc. that was basically it. The company was bought out though and the new owners changed the formula. Now the candy is artificial, unhealthy, and tastes like shit.

Now, if you look at the label it says partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil, glycerine, and sorbitan tristearate (an emulsifier).

WTF is that shit?

Anyway, I put the candy back where I found them and wound up settling for a coffee instead.
    Not my favorite (Mounds and Almond Joy are) but I remember enjoying the peanut chews for .25 a bar.