soul786
    soul786's Avatar Become A Pro!

How many posters drive/own a beamer (3series)

Thinking about dropping on one, heard their problematic in their late years (over 7 or 8 and you'll begin getting problems). Any insight on it?

I know insurance/tuneups/repairs will all be more $$ but aside from that, is it worth it? Or should I be looking Lexus. I want elegant, not flashy or rice looking, only thing I'll be doing is upgrading to a kickass sound system.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7236

Have you considered an Acura?

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

All the newer Bm'ers 2008 and above are built solid. The technology and engineering of the newer models are night and day compared to the previous years. Sure you can get a Lexus/Acura but they aint a B'mer. Japanese may make the best valued cars but for performance, German rides are the best.

Japanese carmakers tend to copy a lot of the German styling but it takes them years to incorporate it in their design. They tend to play it safe until the German makers do it then copy them few years later.

soul786

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    Have you considered an Acura?
    Don't like the look, something about the stance a beamer has appeals to me

soul786

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    All the newer Bm'ers 2008 and above are built solid. The technology and engineering of the newer models are night and day compared to the previous years. Sure you can get a Lexus/Acura but they aint a B'mer. Japanese may make the best valued cars but for performance, German rides are the best.
    If I'm getting a deal on a gently used '06 model, would you say hold off? I'm talking a good $15k less than dealership (family member selling)

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by soul786 View Post
    If I'm getting a deal on a gently used '06 model, would you say hold off? I'm talking a good $15k less than dealership (family member selling)
    Hold off and try to get a 2008 or above. I've got a 2008 M-Coupe and love it. Performance and feel of it cant by matched by the Japanese rides in it's class and I test drove almost all of em from Lexus, Acura, etc.....the only ride that has a similar feel to it are the newer AUDIs.
    Last edited by MagicDiceFlow; 03-25-12 at 11:49 PM.

imzdeals
    imzdeals's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 410

Agreed, get an 08-newer, you can drive it for years with no problems and almost no maintenance

PuckIt
    See Premonition Below
    PuckIt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

bimmer, not beamer...unless you're talking motorcycles, which don't come in a 3-series.

I drive an 06 E90 pre-lci 330Xi and haven't had any problems yet...up to around 75k on the clock.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

I owned one 20 years ago , lots of problems

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4512

They are called the ultimate driving machine for a reason. I had one in the 80's when I was in my early 20's, now almost 25yrs later , I bought my second bimmer. I've driven many cars in between from MB to the Japanese. I have to say if you want a car for the pure pleasure of driving at a reasonable price, i dont think any car beat it. That's how i feel.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Have to echo the Audi shoutout. Just avoid the TT and you'll have yourself a very stylish ride.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

3series are for douches