parlayin
    parlayin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2037

Hiring online for data work

What are some sites for posting a project and have others bid to do freelance work like data entry and compilation?

JDUB07
    Houston Cougars!!!
    JDUB07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

What do you need done?

strixee
    I think, therefore I win
    strixee's Avatar Become A Pro!

cyberbabble
    cyberbabble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3347

If I hire some unknown person to write code to run on my computer, how do I know he didn't include some sort of malware?

OMGRandyJackson
    OMGRandyJackson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4054

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbabble View Post
    If I hire some unknown person to write code to run on my computer, how do I know he didn't include some sort of malware?
    Not 100% but I would write up a contract, have id verified ect.

dr_wolf
    dr_wolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19055

Depends what you request from him

AngryPlanets
    AngryPlanets's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

You don't have a virus and malware checker on your PC? If you do, and you try to install the program, you will get warned. If you don't, get AVGFree.

OMGRandyJackson

Quote Originally Posted by AngryPlanets View Post
    You don't have a virus and malware checker on your PC? If you do, and you try to install the program, you will get warned. If you don't, get AVGFree.
    Actually probably not. If a free lancer was going to do malware it would probably be very specific and not in the wild at all. Therefor it can go in undetected.

strixee
    I think, therefore I win

I would recommend Virus Total or you can hire some other programmer to check the code.
    But I think such a threat is very rare. When hiring a freelancer, make sure you won't be scammed. Paying in advance isn't wise. A scammer usually asks you for rating before writing anything or when you ask about some technical detail, he'll say something like "Don't care about anything" or he'll ask for increase etc. Of course it depends what country the programmer is from. When dealing with Pakistanis for example, be extremely cautious!

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32811

Quote Originally Posted by parlayin View Post
    What are some sites for posting a project and have others bid to do freelance work like data entry and compilation?
    I'm an operations analyst (I/T) by trade.
    What exactly do you want done, I can help, I work with, amongst others, acturials (insurance statisticians) that do that stuff for a living too.

cyberbabble

Legally enforcing an agreement or contract would be impossible.
    Virus checkers find known viruses. If somebody can code a decent program, they can add code that wouldn't show up in a virus scanner.

Has anyone actually hired someone over the internet to do this kind of work? The point is to get the work done cheaply. This means eastern Europe, India, or some such place. I live in S. California and can find someone locally, but the cost is high.

You get what you pay for. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. Etc.
    Last edited by cyberbabble; 03-26-12 at 09:50 AM. Reason: badly worded

strixee
    I think, therefore I win

Has anyone actually hired someone over the internet to do this kind of work? The point is to get the work done cheaply. This means eastern Europe, India, or some such place. I live in S. California and can find someone locally, but the cost is high.

You get what you pay for. If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't. Etc.
    I only have experience with a French student and the Pakistani scammer. Europeans are good choice because of no significant cultural difference. But overall I must say the best way is to code it yourself if you can

cyberbabble

"But overall I must say the best way is to code it yourself if you can" - so true.

I'm just looking for a cheap, easy way. If it wasn't for people looking for an easy way to make money, there wouldn't be any gambling.

mikew
    mikew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 720

you read through the code and see that its safe

evo34
    evo34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4198

I used freelancer.com with pretty good results. Obviously, don't respond to bidders who have no project history.

OMGRandyJackson

Legally enforcing an agreement or contract would be impossible.
    If its a proper contract, no it wouldnt. it would be a bitch to enforce but not impossible.

Shammy
    Shammy's Avatar Become A Pro!

I know a great site, much better than monster.com when it comes to skillful and hardworking for hire freelancers.