Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Did any of you read The Hunger Games? Thoughts? Your review?

I haven't read it, but apparently it's gonna be mass hysteria when the movie opens on Friday. I had never even heard of the books until recently.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

bunch of my kids were reading it for schools, so it can't be too high level (5th/6th graders)

they seemed to be into it, and they aren't into to reading ANYTHING if it isn't on facebook

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Yeah, I read all of The Hunger Games trilogy books. All the books were pretty good. The first was the best and I'd give it an 'A' grade and the second book and third books weren't quite as good, probably more in the B/B+ range.

I'm looking forward to the movie but I'm not quite sure the movie will be as good as the book. FYI, I thought the Harry Potter books were far superior to the movies and I thought the Lord of the Rings movies were actually just as good as the books.

I pretty much see The Hunger Games playing out similar to the Harry Potter series -- great books and good but not great movies. It's kinda funny that both book series were originally targeted at young adults/teens but they blew up into this huge pop culture phenomenon.
    Points Awarded:

MartinBlank gave Iced 600 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    bunch of my kids were reading it for schools, so it can't be too high level (5th/6th graders)

they seemed to be into it, and they aren't into to reading ANYTHING if it isn't on facebook
    Yeah, I gotta say, I never quite understand why Young Adult books end up becoming HUGE books that EVERYONE reads and then goes apeshit over and stands in line for the movies on opening night and buys up all the merchandise and whatnot... Like Harry Potter, for instance. I mean I saw the first one, and I was like "Okay, well, it's fine for a kid's movie, that's about it." Next thing I knew, people of all ages were freaking out over all the books and movies and the franchise is the biggest thing since sliced bread. I'm like whoa, whoa, does anyone in this country read an adult fukking level?

Can'tt speak to The Hunger Games yet, though, either film or book, because I have no personal experience.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Oops, no offense, Iced! And I seem to have addressed your last comment with my post!

Iced

No offense taken. I don't particularly care for the Harry Potter movies, I thought they were merely above-average and not nearly as good as the books. I read a lot of books and I usually read non-fiction, but when I do read fiction it's usually fantasy-type books. The Lord of the Rings and the A Song of Ice and Fire are my favorite fantasy series and far superior to The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, but each series is pretty good on its own merits. I don't really understand how Harry Potter and the Hunger Games blew up either, because I thought they were good but not fantastic books.. but they somehow gained a huge fan base.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9082

I never heard of the books until recently but over heard some teenagers talking about it today while eating lunch at subway and it sounds pretty interesting.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    No offense taken. I don't particularly care for the Harry Potter movies, I thought they were merely above-average and not nearly as good as the books. I read a lot of books and I usually read non-fiction, but when I do read fiction it's usually fantasy-type books. The Lord of the Rings and the A Song of Ice and Fire are my favorite fantasy series and far superior to The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, but each series is pretty good on its own merits. I don't really understand how Harry Potter and the Hunger Games blew up either, because I thought they were good but not fantastic books.. but they somehow gained a huge fan base.
    I'm down with fantasy-type books, sci-fi, etc., as well, but are there are any hugely popular series that aren't "young adult" books?? It's crazy. If I'm not mistaken, even Tolkien intended Lord of the Rings for a young audience (not 100% sure on that one, though; it might have just been The Hobbitt)...

Lemme think of cool fantasy or sci-fi adult stuff I've read... hmm... Clive Barker wrote some cool stuff -- The Great and Secret Show was very good. And Hellraiser certainly turned into a nice screenplay. Well, guess that would be horror, lol. People really like Neil Gaiman's stuff, I can take or leave it.... Paul Auster...eh. There's an awesome book called Lives of the Monster Dogs that is a great read if you can find it.... People are into The Passage by Justin Cronin. I got it but haven't started it yet.

Iced

A Song of Ice and Fire is generally agreed to be the best fantasy series (even greater than Lord of the Rings) and it is an adult series.

A few more fantasy series I like for adults..
    - Malazan Book of the Fallen
    - The Black Company
    - The Wheel of Time
    - The Farseer Trilogy
    - The First Law

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

harry potter? what are you, 12?

ive read the synopsis of hunger games on wiki and it was confusing and stupid. i bet it bombs.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Iced, im on A Storm of Swords right now...

Everybody should read A song of Ice and Fire series..