Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!
    Capybara's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6238

Listening to early Sabbath and realizing that they INVENTED everyone who came after!

I'm not one of those strict classic-rock guys... I'm always looking for the new and interesting and have my whole life...

But... as I'm relistening to the first two Sabbath records, I'm remembering that these guys were the original everybody!!!

There's not a single great hard rock/ heavy metal band who came after who don't owe almost everything to what Black Sabbath started in the first place in 1970.

It's really amazing... I mean some of the great bands that followed, you totally hear where they got their earliest inspiration from... Rage Against the Machine, Metallica, Alice in Chains, the list goes on and on and on...

I hadn't always realized this, but as I'm listening to these albums I can actually HEAR all the bands I'd thought were really original who came later... Wow.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Dutch, smitch124, and darrell74

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

MetallicA is my favorite band of all time... and I agree with you 100%. It baffles me that they were doing that stuff 40 years ago.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    MetallicA is my favorite band of all time... and I agree with you 100%. It baffles me that they were doing that stuff 40 years ago.
    Yeah, I can't believe how fresh some of the stuff on Paranoid sounds, today, 42 fukkin years after it came out -- it's mind-blowing! And as I said, listening to it you can actually hear where various great riffs by RATM, Metallica, Alice in Chains, and countless other bands were born, many years earlier...

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

tool and slayer best metal bands

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

and metallica top 3

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Capt relax...

Wtf is wrong with you

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Old Sabbath is fukin unreal. Godfathers of heavy metal.

Tony Iommi is a GOD.

MendozaLine

MendozaLine

It goes Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest.

Slayer is in a whole nother category. Great band though

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

I realized the same thing a while ago, the problem is the term "they were years ahead of their time" gets thrown about too much and when it deserves to be used, like with b.sabbath, it has no meaning to other people.

The question is, who really created those songs?

uup115
    uup115's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3140

vol. 4 is a masterpiece

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Another awesome band I just thought of who yet again clearly descended from Black Sabbath is Queens of the Stone Age.

Oh fukk it, while we're on the topic, I might as well include my personal ALL TIME FAVORITE HARD ROCK OR METAL BANDS OR ANYONE IN A SIMILAR CATEGORY. They are:

King's X
    Rush
    Van Halen
    Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave
    Soundgarden
    Living Colour
    Megadeth
    Metallica
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Ministry
    Opeth
    Mastodon
    Jucifer
    Sevendust
    Nine Inch Nails
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Cave In
    Porcupine Tree
    Sunny Day Real Estate
    Korn
    Helmet
    Unsane
    And of course Black Sabbath

Haha, yeah, that list is kind of all over the place, but I kept the category broad.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Best thread.

uup115

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    Another awesome band I just thought of who yet again clearly descended from Black Sabbath is Queens of the Stone Age. Oh fukk it, while we're on the topic, I might as well include my personal ALL TIME FAVORITE HARD ROCK OR METAL BANDS OR ANYONE IN A SIMILAR CATEGORY. They are: King's X Rush Van Halen Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave Soundgarden Living Colour Megadeth Metallica Queens of the Stone Age Ministry Opeth Mastodon Jucifer Sevendust Nine Inch Nails Smashing Pumpkins Cave In Porcupine Tree Sunny Day Real Estate Korn Helmet Unsane And of course Black Sabbath Haha, yeah, that list is kind of all over the place, but I kept the category broad.
    are you from Atlanta?

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by uup115 View Post
    are you from Atlanta?
    No, Boston, why do you ask?

JohnGalt2341

Another awesome band I just thought of who yet again clearly descended from Black Sabbath is Queens of the Stone Age. Oh fukk it, while we're on the topic, I might as well include my personal ALL TIME FAVORITE HARD ROCK OR METAL BANDS OR ANYONE IN A SIMILAR CATEGORY. They are: King's X Rush Van Halen Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave Soundgarden Living Colour Megadeth Metallica Queens of the Stone Age Ministry Opeth Mastodon Jucifer Sevendust Nine Inch Nails Smashing Pumpkins Cave In Porcupine Tree Sunny Day Real Estate Korn Helmet Unsane And of course Black Sabbath Haha, yeah, that list is kind of all over the place, but I kept the category broad.
    That's a solid list. My only objection is that you did not include Iron Maiden. As important as Sabbath was to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I don't think Iron Maiden was too far behind... especially when it comes to Metal.

Have you ever heard of the band Hot Water Music? I think you might like them. Their style is hard to describe but I guess they are best described as "post hardcore". Here's a song by them called "In the Gray". This isn't my favorite song by them but I really like this homemade video for this song.

Capybara
    Punta Cana, bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalt2341 View Post
    That's a solid list. My only objection is that you did not include Iron Maiden. As important as Sabbath was to Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I don't think Iron Maiden was too far behind... especially when it comes to Metal.

Have you ever heard of the band Hot Water Music? I think you might like them. Their style is hard to describe but I guess they are best described as "post hardcore". Here's a song by them called "In the Gray". This isn't my favorite song by them but I really like this homemade video for this song.
    I hear you about Maiden, I definitely appreciate their influence on metal, and I do definitely like some of their stuff, just wouldn't put them in my personal favorites list since you have to cull it down to the stuff that did it for you the most. Although thinking about them reminds me that I maybe should have added Queensryche, because I'd put Operation Mindcrime among my fave metal records ever, that thing blew me away for months. Saw them together w/ Metallica in fact on the Justice tour in 1988(?). That concert would have ruled but it was too fukkin loud, just sounded terrible, all distorted.

Thanks for the recommendation, I listened to that... sounds pretty good but I'm not into the vocals. I definitely hear the hardcore in there. I was never too too big into the hardcore thing, although I like the occasions when bands sort of cross hardcore into metal...

Sometimes it's hard to quantify what it is exactly that works for you. For me, it's usually about the musical composition first... in other words, melody above all else, like what can you do that's interesting musically, what grabs me... but then there are so many other factors as well, like your sound, the "attitude" behind the music (in the case of hard rock), virtuosity of the players, etc.

I could go on and on and on about music.

And it's funny, this is only a discussion of hard rock/ metal -- if we opened it up to everything, my list of favorites hits about 150 artists/bands, LOL.

uup115

you can add Black Sabbath/Dio...compleatly different from traditional B.S. and Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules might be the two greatest albums ever written.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Couldn't agree more, love Sabbath was listening to Megalomania on the way home just a few minutes ago.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Listened to a lot of Black Sabbath growing up, just about wore this album out, good times.

JohnGalt2341

Although thinking about them reminds me that I maybe should have added Queensryche, because I'd put Operation Mindcrime among my fave metal records ever, that thing blew me away for months. Saw them together w/ Metallica in fact on the Justice tour in 1988(?). That concert would have ruled but it was too fukkin loud, just sounded terrible, all distorted.
    Funny you should mention the Justice/Mindcrime tour because I saw the same concert in Minneapolis when I was 16. The concert I saw was killer. It was definitely one of the best concerts I have ever been to in my entire life. The crowd was amazing... I don't think I've ever been to a concert since then where virtually everyone in the audience sang along as loudly to virtually every single song... especially the MetallicA songs. Good times...

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7589

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Couldn't agree more, love Sabbath was listening to Megalomania on the way home just a few minutes ago.

i posted like 6 or 7 months ago that sabotage is criminally underrated. hole in the sky is easily a top 5 sabbath song, those guitar bends in the second riff are so awesome. and megalomania is is just fukking nasty. ozzy was in great form on this record too, although he seems to think he wasn't according to interviews i've read. whatever, he's an idiot anyway.

my only guess is that am i going insane, one of the shittiest songs ever, was the single off of it, therefore the album got written off as the last straw as far as black sabbath and their slow departure from their roots which began with vol. 4. i would take sabotage over sabbath bloody sabbath or vol 4 any day. i like all those records too...just something about sabotage that i love.

Dutch
    Honky Lips

The Writ was always my favorite on Sabotage.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7589

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The Writ was always my favorite on Sabotage.
    man those high ass vocals are what really sells that song.

as stated earlier, ozzy was in great form on that album.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

yes I really loved the early days I was listening to that getting high and driving to college, that was `1968 to about 1970 then I was 10 or 12000 miles away on vacation in the jungles lol

Yich123
    Yich123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2244

im a big Sabbath fan getting even bigger as I do not know all their albums but plan to do that sometime shortly. just wanted to say he best band in the world is 100% without a doubt PINK FLOYD! the depth they offer in each individual song is mind boggling - the amount of detail and perfection!

HellSpawn
    HellSpawn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Here's a question for you, do you prefer Dio or Ozzy? I personally prefer Ozzy on BS... but Dio is a God and sings way better... also... I agree with Yich123... Pink Floyd are simply Gods... who got together and made music for mortal... ask me... who in their minds would have made Shine on you Crazy Diamond like PF did... or Echoes... I mean... just amazing...

uup115

Quote Originally Posted by HellSpawn View Post
    Here's a question for you, do you prefer Dio or Ozzy? I personally prefer Ozzy on BS... but Dio is a God and sings way better... also... I agree with Yich123... Pink Floyd are simply Gods... who got together and made music for mortal... ask me... who in their minds would have made Shine on you Crazy Diamond like PF did... or Echoes... I mean... just amazing...
    when the Dio led band changed their name to Heaven and Hell it really helped define how they were really two different bands from two different eras.Both equally great, for different reasons and in very different ways.

HellSpawn

ok that being said, do you prefer Heaven and Hell or Black Sabbath? one of them has to get to you more than the other

Dutch
    Honky Lips

Heaven and Hell wasn't bad, but they're no Black Sabbath. I still listen to the first 4 or 5 Sabbath albums regularly, I haven't heard H & H in years.

I've never met someone who prefers Heaven and Hell over Black Sabbath.

uup115

Heaven and Hell wasn't bad, but they're no Black Sabbath. I still listen to the first 4 or 5 Sabbath albums regularly, I haven't heard H & H in years.

I've never met someone who prefers Heaven and Hell over Black Sabbath.
    the music is more complex and much better song construction...when you get older you will find a greater appreciation for Mob Rules and H/H.

Dutch
    Honky Lips

When I get older? lol, OK.

Just listened to half of Mob Rules, sounds dated, despite it's "complexity and better song construction." Neither of which belong anywhere near a Sabbath conversation, but whatever.

The dated sound could have something to do with Ronnie's singing style being copied by so many singers at the time. Making the music sound 'of an era', while early Sabbath has a timeless quality to it.

uup115

Ronnie's singing style being copied by so many singers
    were you trying to be funny?

HellSpawn

I prefer BS because of their mood and feeling... I personally say Dio is a better singer, but I can't stand 2-3 really high pitch screams like he did... It just makes me crazy... but Dutch is right... Dio is the one who started with the high pitch screams, then everyone started singing like that... For example... Iron Maiden

Dutch
    Honky Lips

Quote Originally Posted by uup115 View Post
    were you trying to be funny?

Not at all.

I didn't say anyone was better than him, but that style of singing was all over the place in the early 80's.

12 Last