Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

Any car guys in here?..

Tired of feeling all pressured and shit when I go into the dealership just to get a oil change or something. I hate mechanics, they look down on you just because you don't know shit about cars and try to hustle you. Fukkers tried to get me to buy a $18 air filter on top of the oil change, I left and went and got the same one at Walmart for $5. Someone throw me a few good books to pick up about cars or something so I can feel a little bit better about this shit.

dxunchuk
    dxunchuk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 602

the easiest way is to look at mechanics and try to remember what they do, and what are the names of parts and what are they for. that's the way I learned my car

Dom177

Good strategy I suppose. How much work do you actually do on your own car though when it does need something?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Google.com

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

Ilove cars from all types classic cars and the new cars out there . I also love the foreign cars fhat cost as much as a house. If I didn't have to listen to my wife I would have collected at least a dozen cars. But marriage is give and take, so I have only 4 cars. my favorite car is my porshe its 5 years old and has 8,000 miles .

FiguredOut
    FiguredOut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dom177, congratulations on taking the initiative to learn some shit bout' cars. Today, most men are too big of pussies to pick up a wrench and would rather have some mechanic **** them seven ways from Sunday. You can do 95% of the maintenance on your car yourself. There are three rules to automotive maintenance.
    #1 Don't get under a jacked up vehicle without three points of support. You will ******* die.
    #2 Don't start turning bolts and taking shit apart without knowing what you're doing.
    #3 Use the right tools for the job.

#1. If you have you get under your vehicle support it correctly. Many people die each year because they don't follow this simple rule. It takes ten extra minutes. Jack your vehicle up on a solid foundation. Support it with jack stands. Put some wheel chocks behind the wheels. Put some cinder blocks for tertiary backup support.

#2. Get yourself a good manual or subscribe to a service online. Expect to pay about $20 for top of the line information. Follow the torque specifications precisely.

#3. Get yourself the tools for the job. You can get complete sets for like $75. If you need a special tool the auto parts store will lend it to you for free.

It's really as easy as it sounds. If you have a specific question, it has likely been asked and answered before on an online forum somewhere. If you can microwave a TV dinner you can do a brake job on a car. Most of the manuals are written on an elementary grade reading level.

FiguredOut

I'll take some screen shots to show you exactly what I'm talking bout' as far as manuals go.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

what kinda car you got? best bet i've seen is to join a forum for said car. i got a dodge ram that i have done so much work on with the help of the guys on a dodge forum.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    what kinda car you got? best bet i've seen is to join a forum for said car. i got a dodge ram that i have done so much work on with the help of the guys on a dodge forum.
    Google would led him in the right direction for basic stuff. So he knows what the mechanics are talking about, and not get ripped off. It will also help when he jumps into it himself.

Correct tools and manuals are a must if your going the DIY route.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Google would led him in the right direction for basic stuff. So he knows what the mechanics are talking about, and not get ripped off. It will also help when he jumps into it himself. Correct tools and manuals are a must if your going the DIY route.
    true, but i've googled some stuff for my truck and got some batshit crazy websites.

another site that has helped a lot, youtube. almost every fukkin thing you can think of for minor repair is on there. that way when you do it you at least know whats up with it

Dom177

THanks for some of those responses especially figureditout..google was cool for help with a few things but like my air went out on my car over the summer and some of the wiring diagrams were really shitty copies. I drive an older explorer but I'm about to buy either a F150 or Silverado..still looking around. As far as the duct tape goes, too late. I had to duct tape my sunroof shut from the outside of my car in the fall since it was leaking and I couldn't find it with all the rain we had

Dom177

How do you like your ram? Lots of them around me seem to be over priced like an 03 w/ 130k miles for $9-10k... I know rams run strong but seems like a bit much. I'm also trying to find something with no rust which is becoming hard to do since I live in Michigan

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Dom177 View Post
    THanks for some of those responses especially figureditout..google was cool for help with a few things but like my air went out on my car over the summer and some of the wiring diagrams were really shitty copies. I drive an older explorer but I'm about to buy either a F150 or Silverado..still looking around. As far as the duct tape goes, too late. I had to duct tape my sunroof shut from the outside of my car in the fall since it was leaking and I couldn't find it with all the rain we had
    well theres for sure plenty of ford and chevy truck forums. i can point you to a good chevy website if you go with the silver.

How do you like your ram? Lots of them around me seem to be over priced like an 03 w/ 130k miles for $9-10k... I know rams run strong but seems like a bit much. I'm also trying to find something with no rust which is becoming hard to do since I live in Michigan
    i fukkin hate it

its a 99 with 176k on it. i got it dirt cheap and i knew what they were infamous for going in it. but after i dropped $1000 into it its a tolerable truck

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

true, but i've googled some stuff for my truck and got some batshit crazy websites.

another site that has helped a lot, youtube. almost every fukkin thing you can think of for minor repair is on there. that way when you do it you at least know whats up with it
    Well common sense will tell you to steer away from those sites.

Youtube and specific forums show up in Google searches.

You have to start somewhere to find the stuff your looking for.

Dom177

Haha I've been reading up on them a lot, seeing a lot of transmission problems coming up so I'm trying to steer away from anything that MAY need to be taken in within the first 8-12 months I have it.

blackbeSSt

Haha I've been reading up on them a lot, seeing a lot of transmission problems coming up so I'm trying to steer away from anything that MAY need to be taken in within the first 8-12 months I have it.
    yup. i just had some work done on my tranny. the 2nd gen rams were notorious for fukked up trannys. not too sure about the newer ones. another thing was a stupid $10 plenum gasket that leaks and gets oil in the intake. the book shows its a $1000+ job. all for a $10 gasket

FiguredOut

Just go to alldata.com and subscribe to your vehicle and it'll tell you everything you ever need to know. For example. When I pull up the brake repair section it gives me 6 diagrams for a replacing the brake pads on my car. It tells me to torque the brake line support screws at 7.2 foot pounds, the service limit for the pads is 1.6mm, and the caliper support bolt is torqued at 54 foot pounds. It even shows you what you would charge if you were a repair shop. It says to charge $59.13 for the front brake pads as well as 1.0 units for labor. (Usually shops charge $90 an hour) This is why you get ****** so hard when you go to the dealership.

FiguredOut

FiguredOut

FiguredOut

FiguredOut

So before you start a project, make sure you have a good map of exactly what you are going to do. The images I posted are only an example. There are countless diagrams and explanations. I think I paid $12.00 for a year subscription. Good luck with your new endeavors.
    Points Awarded:

Dom177 gave FiguredOut 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

get the shop manual for your car. The techs in the shop use the same one. Other good books are Chilton manuals. Haynes manuals too. I would get all three. Then get a good wrench set and socket set. Pick up tools like a oil filter wrench and brake presser to make things easier when you work on the car. Changing your own brakes is the real money saver.

Dom177

It is settled...I have bought an F-150 and will be looking around and bookmarking the forums for that. Thanks for your help gentlemen!

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

It is settled...I have bought an F-150 and will be looking around and bookmarking the forums for that. Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Yes forums can be the best thing.

Alot of forums will have actual pictures of exact step by step procedures for how to do things...look at the "maintenance" part of the forum.

Just by searching the internet you can pretty much find out anything that's wrong with your car and what you need to do to fix it.

I'd definitely pick up http://www.haynes.com/ that manual off of ebay or online somewhere...Pretty solid info from that on how to do your maintenance.

blackbeSSt

before signing up take a look at all the sub forums and see how frequent people post. if theres a couple threads that have replies per day you might wanna stay away. the dodge forum that im on in just the 2nd gen section theres 20 threads that have been replied to since 8am this morning. there were some that had maybe 3 threads replied per day