bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

anyone know what it takes to transfer ownership of house?

hi, I may call the family lawyer but I thought some on here might have some advice, besides lawyers charge an arm and a leg. ok so heres whats up, my dad passed a few years ago and so we moved the title of the house from his name into the estate. now the problem is, no homeowners insurance will cover the house as they are all telling me they cant insure a house thats in an estate. so anyways, Chase Bank is going to force their own insurance on the hosue at a cost of 6500 a year. We normally pay about 1100 a year through regular insurance. so, since I cant find anyone to insure the house, what are the steps in trying to change the title of the house from the estate to either mine or my brothers name? thanks in advance

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quit claim dead will transfer title. Simple in most states. Whoever is eligible to sign for the estate can fill out the deed and sign it over to whoever then notarize and then file at the courthouse. Done pretty much. You prob should notify the county assessor so the tax bill is sent to the new owners name address etc.

Edit: I will be here all week!

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

Quote Originally Posted by katstale View Post
    Quit claim dead will transfer title. Simple in most states. Whoever is eligible to sign for the estate can fill out the deed and sign it over to whoever then notarize and then file at the courthouse. Done pretty much. You prob should notify the county assessor so the tax bill is sent to the new owners name address etc.

Edit: I will be here all week!

This and you can call your county for the details. That's who you will be filing with. No need for lawyers if all parties agree with everything.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Brad, has the house been uninsured for a few years? You say your dad passed away a few years ago and you can't find an insurer. Whose name was the house in for the last few years if not the estate?

I just had to deal with this. Messy estate situation, everything on hold, house in limbo. The company that insured the house when the owner died will continue to insure the house for as long as it's owned by the estate. That's the way it is where I am.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

my dad paid the insurance for up to 5 years. he died in 09 and his insurance expired in 2010 but his insurance would not renew with us as we moved the house from his name into the estate. im the executor of the estate however I dont want to put the house in my name as its going to be my brothers who buy the house and live in in the next couple of years. we still owe about 49k on it.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by bradthebloke View Post
    my dad paid the insurance for up to 5 years. he died in 09 and his insurance expired in 2010 but his insurance would not renew with us as we moved the house from his name into the estate. im the executor of the estate however I dont want to put the house in my name as its going to be my brothers who buy the house and live in in the next couple of years. we still owe about 49k on it.
    Ok, insurance policies are renewed yearly over here (Ontario, Canada).

Good luck, I know settling an estate can be a big headache, taking years in some cases...