MiAMiEDDY
    MiAMiEDDY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1499

advice on basketball league

I Want to start up a basketball league in my area and wondering if any of you guys have experience or have opened one up yourself. Ideally, I'd open up a non profit charity but the paperwork is long and extensive. not to mention cost a lot. So i thought about opening up a LLC and advertise that a % of the proceeds goes to a different charity each month ( all players vote on charity each month) . I plan on paying myself and a few others as im sure this cant be done alone. But it'll be pennies.

Ill recruit coaches and refs as volunteers. so there should be a small space for profits when all said and done.

Any advice or words of wisdom from my fellow SBRers as i embark on this journey>>???

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

i played in a league a few years back. guy bolted with the cash before the championship game was even played, promised a prize to the winners.

NSN21
    NSN21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7886

I would strongly advise getting refs that have been/currently are officials at middle school level or above. I play off and on in a local league with refs that don't even know half of the basic rules and it really bogs down the quality of the games. Keeping the games running smooth and the players content is a big plus. Good luck.