griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

bartenders make $$$$

some days when i am sitting at my desk hating my job i think i should have stayed in the bartending field.

then after work is done and I go out, i am glad i am not the one pouring the drinks

mathdotcom
    mathdotcom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1943

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    Jobs are for morons

They are something the establishment uses as a tool to get you in debt and make you a slave for life.

What is the address of the establishment?

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

don't need one
    sweet. how much do you make gambling and via other investments?

Salmon Steak
    Salmon Steak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 613

you have to do what you love man. You will not be happy doing something only for the money. I say dream big, you only live once.

JuniorAnalyst
    JuniorAnalyst's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Thanks everyone for the contributions. Really appreciate the supports. Another bad day today just keeps me looking forward. I know trades will forever be amazing but it's not my type of work. The restaurant stuff I'm amazing at and every person I work for or with says I'm like no other kid my age. Great work ethic and destined for success. But until it's your own business your just working tour ass off making diddly squat for some other bigshot. Defiantly thinking of getting Ito something financial and then when I'm 28-32 opening a restaurant. Thanks again for all opinions and if anyone else has more to share I'm all ears.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Jobs are for morons

They are something the establishment uses as a tool to get you in debt and make you a slave for life.
    Emily, do you live off the fat of the land?

You strike me as the type

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Emily, do you live off the fat of the land? You strike me as the type
    Pretty sure Emily has said s/he lives off welfare. Which doesn't seem to make sense with the whole anti-establishment thing.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    Pretty sure Emily has said s/he lives off welfare. Which doesn't seem to make sense with the whole anti-establishment thing.
    I picture emily starting with a pocketful of seeds as his only food supply

ericthegangster
    MARK IT ZERO!
    ericthegangster's Avatar Become A Pro!

it sounds like you understand the risk/rewards of going to school, which puts you in a better spot than most kids at 18. if you do go to school, make sure you know what your end career goal is. dont aimlessly go through school and rack up a bunch of debt while you try to figure things out. make sure the career you seek to achieve can allow you to live comfortably and pay back student loans. there is no greater helpless feeling in the world than paying back 200k in loans on a 25k/yr salary.

if you do go to school make sure you do it with the right mindset - figure out what your goal is and approach it like an investment in yourself. that's the best advice i can give you.

Plus573
    It's Miller Time
    Plus573's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1887

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorAnalyst View Post
    Thanks everyone for the contributions. Really appreciate the supports. Another bad day today just keeps me looking forward. I know trades will forever be amazing but it's not my type of work. The restaurant stuff I'm amazing at and every person I work for or with says I'm like no other kid my age. Great work ethic and destined for success. But until it's your own business your just working tour ass off making diddly squat for some other bigshot. Defiantly thinking of getting Ito something financial and then when I'm 28-32 opening a restaurant. Thanks again for all opinions and if anyone else has more to share I'm all ears.
    Pretty sure being a restauranteur has a pretty high rate of failure ~60% I believe, as does other entrepreneur ventures. Opening up your own business is great if you succeed, however you should research what you are getting yourself into before you commit to a ten year plan based around the idea. You should look at getting an education, figuring out what you like to do/are good at is important, and this will be a good way to do this. Just make sure you don't waste your money away on some worthless degree or venture that is destined to fail.

Dr. Black
    Dr. Black's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Many years ago I was in your situation. Loved action, no income. An old time bookie asked me to handle a few customers for him. Showed me how to take some plays, keep the sheet, pay or collect.

Become a local, or move to a place where you can work in the industry. Maybe you will be the one to figure out how to overcome the next generation of problems. Every profession needs bright new minds.

ivyconniver
    ivyconniver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

Just don't get married, and you'll effectively double your income.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Thats a really nice garden. I'd be proud of it.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Work your way up in food and beverage industry. Either become managing partner or switch to vendor side of business.

Never take advice from unemployed virgins like Emily who are the dingleberrys of society or tubby warrior who is mad because you are over 18 and he likes them younger.

Good luck in whatever you do.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Continue your studies and gamble on the side as a hobby. Extra cash for beer/going out is always good to have

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

Save up enough and open your own restaurant someday. Had a buddy that cooked for 9yrs climbing up the ladder and moving from restaurant to restaurant. Finally, he opened his own and its a very successful.

AustinHoopDream
    AustinHoopDream's Avatar Become A Pro!

get a degree. you think fours years in school is a lot of time? how about a life time of making $25K a year.

YouMama
    Losers Lose
    YouMama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

... or a life of making 40K a yr with 100k debt

CollegeOverUnder
    DJ COOPER
    CollegeOverUnder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 217

you like sports so perhaps look at the fitness industry Im 21 and work in the fitness industry doing my passion. Not full time yet still got another 1 or 2 before Im ready to go full time but ill be around sports somehow and its what I like.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by paranoyd androyd View Post

sweet. how much do you make gambling and via other investments?
    15K a year. Haines is livin the high life.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

In response to the OP my best advice is to figure out what you're passionate about and pursue it. If you like the restaurant industry then I would check out a degree in restaurant manegement, though be ready to work 6 or 7 days a week for 12 hours a day. Otherwise you'll likely need a business degree in the other fields youre interested in. BOL.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

stick the resturaunt business kid. you can make good money as a bartender. now days people don't get to choose their careers

work in a sports bar that way you can get paid while you watch sports. Also becoming a local bookie . you can take bets from your patrons.

You will need to hire a debt collector though. my suggestion is hire one of those big ass bouncers that work at the front door to collect your payments. Keep your business on the low low and you will be straight. If you conduct your business the right way you will never get caught.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Go to College...enjoy being young.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds like me 25 years ago. Fascination with numbers, logic and analysis. Started in the restaurant industry as well. Also started in Canada.

Kid send me a PM maybe I can give you some advice.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Work for yourself. Let your performance decide your fate.

Nothing inspires someone like desperation.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

looking for career advice from losers who want to fight to the death over 20 dollar bets which is their daily salary at mcdonalds

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Work for yourself. Let your performance decide your fate.

Nothing inspires someone like desperation.
    Lot of truth to that last statement.

Solid.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    Whatever you do, do not listen to lakerboy. He's 38yo and an assistant night manager at McDonalds.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

prostitution is hiring

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Do not go to the U of Iowa and get a Bachelors in Sociology. Trust me.

First 12