jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Unethical To "Hold" Bets From Friends

Instead of calling into bookie??

I know a guy that held bets from his friend and won over7k over the holidays

He took all the money from him and now might get divorced

I guess same thing as calling bets into bookie but for some reason this does not seem right

Thoughts??

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

The guy probably isn't prepared to pay in the event his friend turns out to be a big winner and that's really a problem.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Very Bad...

Worse than a politician...

At least a bum shows his face on the streets...

Cowardly...

Worthy of ass-whooping...

stuntin909
    stuntin909's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

nvmnd

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

No problem with holding the bet if you have the cash on hand to pay out.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

unless hes not willing to pay if friend wins, i see nothing wrong with it. the friends gona bet regardless right??

FourLengthsClear
    King of the Idiots
    FourLengthsClear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 508

Quote Originally Posted by hubie69 View Post
    Agreed.

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

slippery slope and a good way to ruin a friendship.

Chimneyfish
    Chimneyfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1283

This scam only worked for horse racing back in the day when people couldn't easily get information about the results of the races. At least that's how Chinaski did it in the movie Factotum.

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    unless hes not willing to pay if friend wins, i see nothing wrong with it. the friends gona bet regardless right??
    Glad I'm not your "friend"...

You're making money off your "friend" without him even knowing...

You don't see how this is fukked up

Sad...

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by FindTheLock View Post
    slippery slope and a good way to ruin a friendship.

a lot of things could go wrong with this, mostly if the buddy placing the wagers knows the bookie. they run into each other -
    "hey wish you would've given me 7 1/2 on nevada last week" "my line WAS 7 1/2 but i didn't take any action on that game from you and john?"...

if the buddy and the bookie are never going to meet or talk to each other then you should be fine, i wouldn't feel guilty taking the action if i was giving the friend the same line.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

I took a few from a coworker who is a triple meat burger...nothing major....enough to take my girl to a nice dinner

jjgold

glad I was not involved

jstblaze
    jstblaze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

If your using the exact same line, and you are just as happy to pay him if he wins it makes no difference at all.

Honestly, I would rather have my friend get the money I lost rather then the bookie.

What would possibly be wrong with it? I dont even understand.

iifold
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by jstblaze View Post
    If your using the exact same line, and you are just as happy to pay him if he wins it makes no difference at all.

Honestly, I would rather have my friend get the money I lost rather then the bookie.

You can't understand this

You're a fukkin crook...

Using the bookies lines and your friends sickness to make money...

Nothing wrong with being a bookie as long as you own up to it...

When your drinking beers with your friends at a bar and you make a bet, do you charge him 10%???

FindTheLock
    FindTheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 191

In my opinion it is the fact you're not really doing what you said you would do. You're profiting off your friends demise. Even though he would win or lose the same betting against someone else, it makes a difference when I am the one taking my friends action even though I know he can't afford to lose it. I care about my friends and would never want to take part in trying to win money off of them only to watch that friends marriage ruined while I am out buying a new car with his money...

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by hubie69 View Post
    But the person is willing to risk the money against the bookie's bankroll, NOT YOURS. If he wanted you to book him, he would have played it that way.

dredmahawkus
    dredmahawkus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Being the middle man is never good with friends. Something always fukd happens! I won't take a friends action or give him to a book to get my 10%. Only do that to acquaintances that you don't give a crap if the book goes after them.

jstblaze

You guys are all ridiculous.

I just asked a reasonably large sample of friends who put in plays on a daily basis, and every single one of them said without a doubt they would not care at all.

It is your friends choice to bet or not. You are not encouraging it. If it is the same odds then it doesnt matter where it is booked as long as the security of your money is 100%.

IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME NO MATTER WHERE THE PLAY GOES IN.

ONLY PROBLEM IS IF YOU WOULDNT PAY THEM IF THEY WIN.

iifold
    Update your status

You guys are all ridiculous.

I just asked a reasonably large sample of friends who put in plays on a daily basis, and every single one of them said without a doubt they would not care at all.

It is your friends choice to bet or not. You are not encouraging it. If it is the same odds then it doesnt matter where it is booked as long as the security of your money is 100%.

IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME NO MATTER WHERE THE PLAY GOES IN.

ONLY PROBLEM IS IF YOU WOULDNT PAY THEM IF THEY WIN.

This thread isn't directed at 19 year old college students that bet $24 a game and bang their "friends" whores on the side....

It's for Men who bet thousands with locals...

jstblaze

This makes no sense...

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiger View Post
    But the person is willing to risk the money against the bookie's bankroll, NOT YOURS. If he wanted you to book him, he would have played it that way.
    If the value is the same, and the security of the money is at least equal, your friend is betting to win, and thats it. Why would it matter where it was booked and who's bankroll is behind it.

No fees for deposit or withdrawal. The chance of me paying would surely be higher then every book out there.

If you have some problem taking the juice, which I could understand a little, even though your giving the exact same odds as your friend would have had to book the ticket with anyway.

Then just tell them your taking the action with no juice, and they get better odds, and if they have a problem with this then they are not an intelligent gambler and willing to sacrfice better odds for no reason.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

I had a friend who held a bet from me that won,when I went to collect he told me he could not get the bet in on time,long story short he was replacing a engine in his brand new truck within a week...................

jstblaze

I will agree to disagree...

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post

This thread isn't directed at 19 year old college students that bet $24 a game and bang their "friends" whores on the side....

It's for Men who bet thousands with locals...
    Your making yourself sounds real stupid and immature in my opinion, so Im not even going to bother sticking around this thread.

Every person I polled (14 people) is 30 or over, has been betting for 10 plus years, and while the majority dont bet thousands a game, some do, and the others are betting 100-250 per game. I understand that may not be a lot to you, but it is a reasonable amount to take seriously on a daily basis.

I think you guys have friends you dont trust or you dont trust yourself with the action.

Otherwise it makes no difference. A wager is being placed with same odds and same security of money. NO DIFFERENCE.

jstblaze

easy answer....

Quote Originally Posted by paulypoker View Post
    i had a friend who held a bet from me that won,when i went to collect he told me he could not get the bet in on time,long story short he was replacing a engine in his brand new truck within a week...................
    then he was not a friend!

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

then he was not a friend!
    Yep,found out the hard way.........

jstblaze

Bronx tale would tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    Yep,found out the hard way.........
    That whatever money he took from you was essentially what you had to pay to find out he was not your friend.

Hope it wasnt too expensive!!!

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

It's business

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

I dont see a problem with it - occasionally one of my uncles or a friend will phone up and ask me to put a bet on for him, and I am happy to do so. I will usually pull up an odds comparison site, and tell them the best price I can give them at that time on one of my betting accounts, or if it is a Horse Racing bet then I will give them the option to take that price or tell them they can take the official SP if they would prefer.

Now as far as I am concerned after that a bet has been stuck, a price has been agreed and they will get paid out at that agreed price.

What happens after that is irrelevant - sometimes I will lay the bet off straight away at the same price quoted, sometimes if I have time I will leave it for a while and see if the price goes up and maybe lay off at a better price, sometimes I will hold the bet myself either because the price dropped, or because I think it might lose anyway.

The point is, once everything has been agreed and both parties are happy with the details, then a bet is a bet and the rest doesnt matter.

If they wanted to then they could setup multiple betting accounts and spend the time shopping for the best price themselves, they evidently dont want to or dont have the time - I am happy to do this for them, and anything I decide to do with their money is a seperate win/loss risk for myself and therefore has no bearing on their bet...as long as I pay out (which I always do).
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: macoeric, and Holtgetsback

bswagos
    bswagos's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2547

Why didn't the friend just call the bookie himself?

dredmahawkus
    dredmahawkus's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    It's business
    exactly!!!! thats why you dont do business with friends!

like I said above someway somehow if you involve real friends, something will fuk up somewhere and you wont be friends anymore.

I have a good friend thats in the business....and I wont bring him customers....I would rather still be friends.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by bswagos View Post
    Why didn't the friend just call the bookie himself?
    Did not want to be associated with a bookie

Holding a guys bets usually is easy money, rarely does anyone win

20Four7
    Timmy T = Failure
    20Four7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4120

I hold bets all the time. No big deal. I have one "friend" who is slow paying me the 2k he owes. Better it didn't go through because I would have had to cough that up.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

As long as you can cover the action can't see what difference it makes...

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14840

No big deal doing this. Being the house once in a while can work well.

12 Last