ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

Firefighters refuse to save burning house

SOUTH FULTON, TN (WPSD/CNN) - A Tennessee family had to watch their house burn to the ground as firefighters stood by and refused to put out the flames because the family didn't pay the annual subscription fee for fire service.
    When Vicky Bell called 911, firefighters were dispatched, but once at the scene they only watched.
    "You could look out my mom's home and see the trucks sitting at a distance," Bell said.
    For Bell, that sight was almost as disturbing as the fire itself.
    "We just wished we could've gotten more out," she said.
    It's a controversial policy that the area has dealt with before. People in the city of South Fulton have fire protection, but those in the county do not unless they pay a $75 annual fee.
    The city makes no exceptions.
    "There's no way to go to every fire and be able to keep up the manpower, the equipment, and just the funding for the fire department," said South Fulton Mayor David Crocker.
    Crocker said that by now, everyone should know about the city's fire policy.
    "After the last situation, I would hope that everybody would be well aware of the rural fire fees, this time," he said.
    Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them.
    The city has received a lot of heat over its year-old policy, but has refused to change it.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

THAT story is over a year old.

You really need to get up to speed.

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them."

Oops.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's a different story, but same deal as the one last year.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

And...?

In that city it is like an insurance policy. It is obviously a small town and they can't afford to have a fire dept without charging the people. The people who had the fire KNEW ABOUT THE POLICY and refused to pay it cuz they didn't expect it to happen to them. It is their own fault.

Sure, it's a sucky situation to be in for the fire crew, but if they let one family get away with it, then nobody would pay the annual fee

ttwarrior1

there has to be some that don't know the policy especially if someone is new to the town. Would you pay 75. Hell alot don't have it. Just bill them later or something.

Sitting back and watching it burn down just isn't right. Why do they even come out. Would they let it burn down with someone in the house

ttwarrior1

then why have the whole crew come out and sit there?

DrStale

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    there has to be some that don't know the policy especially if someone is new to the town. Would you pay 75. Hell alot don't have it. Just bill them later or something.

Sitting back and watching it burn down just isn't right. Why do they even come out. Would they let it burn down with someone in the house
    Yeah they dont have 75 dollars but if you bill them later they'll surely get paid.

They knew about it, they took their chances and lost.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Just in case there was someone inside is my guess. They wouldn't want anyone to die. And it is most likely a rural area where there are volunteers and a lot of times some go straight to the fire without going to their fire hall if they have their gear with them in their vehicles.

The actual firefighters would love to put the fire out or else they wouldn't be firefighters. It is just a city policy that they can't break.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

The neighbors probably paid their bill like any responsible homeowner should. The firefighters were there to make sure the fire didn't spread to the responsible residents' homes.

Spaceman Spiff
    Spaceman Spiff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 804

Wow. If that was my house, I probably would have burned the Fire Hall down.

Whether they paid or not, it's pretty inhumane to watch something like that happen and not help, especially when it's what you do for a living.

a4u2fear
    TEASE IT
    a4u2fear's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 35459

how about handing over your wedding ring as collateral or something as its burning and say get your ass over there and put it out! instead of taking the net loss.

dumbasses

DrStale

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
    Wow. If that was my house, I probably would have burned the Fire Hall down.
    I have a feeling that fire would get put out pretty quickly.

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

I wonder what happens with the Home + Contents insurance cover (assuming they paid that as well) if their house burns down and they havent paid the $75 annual fee ?

Maniac
    Maniac's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8815

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    I have a feeling that fire would get put out pretty quickly.
    Depends if the Fire Hall had paid their $75 annual fee
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ttwarrior1

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

It case it spread to a house of someone who paid, they would put out the fire in that house, then go back down the block and watch the first house continue to burn.

ttwarrior1

only a complete moron department would let one burn down and then save one

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

To make sure the flames don't jump to the neighbors' grass and/or home....you know..the ones who did pay for the service