EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

So Much For Due Process: Fine FIRED

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP)—Bernie Fine was fired Sunday by Syracuse University after a third man accused the assistant basketball coach of molesting him nine years ago.
    Bernie Fine
    (Getty Images)

“At the direction of Chancellor Cantor, Bernie Fine’s employment with Syracuse University has been terminated, effective immediately,” Kevin Quinn, the school’s senior vice president for public affairs, said in a statement.

The 65-year-old Fine was in his 36th season at his alma mater. He had the longest active streak of consecutive seasons at one school among assistant coaches in Division I.
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...einvestigation

I'm a big 'Cuse hoops fan and won't condemn or defend the man because I just don't know the case at this point, but Syracuse doesn't wait for the process to be completed .. cans him. Either they know something for certain or just want to distance themselves .... because if he is somehow innocent, lawsuit has already been made. What a mess.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9740

i don't believe those accusers for nothing, this isn't like the case at penn state
    and your wrong, you should be defending him

The Bet Master
    The Bet Master's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    i don't believe those accusers for nothing, this isn't like the case at penn state
    Have you heard the phone recording yet?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

With all the bad publicity, Cuse can't keep having its assistant coach's name come up with the kind of bullshit that came out this morning with his wife. He should have told Boeheim to stop defending him when it broke. Now Boeheim looks like he could be part of the cover up.

iFrat
    iFrat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 240

His own wife went on record that she knew shit was going down. What do you expect them to do. Keep cutting him checks?

onacloud
    onacloud's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bet Master View Post

Have you heard the phone recording yet?
    post a link...

titanup
    titanup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Its on espn outside the lines. His wife knows he is a child molester. She came out and said it. Fine is in denial. There is more evidence here than the sandusky case

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Boeheim and Paterno are going to need to start a support group pretty soon, because Jimmy B may be next on the unemployment line. He was pretty adamant in his defense of this guy recently -- really went to bat for him. Bad move.

onacloud

thank you

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    Yes, we all know you like child molesters.

Romocide
    Romocide's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3108

If his wife knew, then she should go to jail for not saying something.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

ttwarrior1 supporting child molesters AGAIN

Unreal

Well maybe it isn't...maybe the slob is just a pervert himself.

EaglesPhan36

I think the Boeheim relationship isn't like Paterno @ Penn State where there's well documented and known stuff about Paterno thinking he's bigger than the university. Maybe I'm naive here, but I think Boeheim just didn't know [if its true] and came out to defend his friend like anyone would do for a friend they've known for decades and might be unaware of what they do behind closed doors. It's all a shame true or not because it's going to ruin lives one way or another.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21593

So what do you suggest, that he sit on the bench like nothing's going on while it's being investigated and possibly tried in court, and wait until a conviction? It's actually possible, even if he did it, he may never be prosecuted because of statute of limitations? So if he can't be prosecuted he should keep his job? Of course not. Due process applies to the judicial process, not employment. Courts can't convict without a trial, employers can fire without one. No way he could continue.

onacloud

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

Unreal

SBR investigate this!

Puppy
    2015 -110
    Puppy's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post

Unreal

dont you have to be a child molester to stick up for child molesters? cause no one else will, how can you

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    I think the Boeheim relationship isn't like Paterno @ Penn State where there's well documented and known stuff about Paterno thinking he's bigger than the university. Maybe I'm naive here, but I think Boeheim just didn't know [if its true] and came out to defend his friend like anyone would do for a friend they've known for decades and might be unaware of what they do behind closed doors. It's all a shame true or not because it's going to ruin lives one way or another.
    Maybe, but I think Boeheim probably should've kept his mouth shut until he gathered more information and may now pay the price for it.

RonPaul2008
    Update your status
    RonPaul2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243569

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Maybe, but I think Boeheim probably should've kept his mouth shut until he gathered more information and may now pay the price for it.
    Nah, there is no evidence Boeheim knew anything or did anything wrong. Paterno knew what was going on and did little to nothing to stop it and may have helped cover it up.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul2008 View Post
    Nah, there is no evidence Boeheim knew anything or did anything wrong. Paterno knew what was going on and did little to nothing to stop it and may have helped cover it up.
    I'm not saying Boeheim's in trouble for that.

He made a pretty angry and vehement public statement trying to clear Fine's name, which looks kind of shaky in retrospect.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

they don't need due process to fire someone. i don't know NY employment law but most states you can just fire a person for cause without giving a reason.

UNCGQ
    UNCGQ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 905

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post

I'm not saying Boeheim's in trouble for that.

He made a pretty angry and vehement public statement trying to clear Fine's name, which looks kind of shaky in retrospect.
    I agree. He'd be okay (minus whatever else comes out that he 'knew') if he had went 'no comment, pending investigation, administrative leave, yadda, yadda'.

Instead he went the route of 'absolutely didn't happen, I know this guy, etc'.

There were investigations years ago, which for me opens up the 'what did Boeheim know after it came up the first time' game. He obviously (as of what we know today) didn't have the same knowledge of acts committed that Paterno did, but I wouldn't put a lock on it that he didn't know 'anything'.

Due process? Riiiight. This isn't a court of law. They can fire him if they didn't like the sweaters he wore to recruiting visits.

Anybody who is still in denial on this hasn't heard the tape or read the transcript with Fine's wife (much like the PSU situation where people screamed at the top of lungs and had never seen any of the grand jury documents).
    Last edited by UNCGQ; 11-27-11 at 10:32 PM.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

"firing for cause" is the same as firing for a reason.

EaglesPhan36

I know they can fire him without reason, but in today's society ... you know Fine can easily sue the school because of whatever reason his lawyer can dream of if he's found not guilty in this situation. Defamation of character, emotional distress, whatever. I just think it was poor to do it this early in the process when Fine hasn't been charged with anything officially. Could see them doing it if criminal charges are brought about, but they have not been at this point. They did what they should have to begin with ... place him on leave, but then they should let the process play out.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

I know they can fire him without reason, but in today's society ... you know Fine can easily sue the school because of whatever reason his lawyer can dream of if he's found not guilty in this situation. Defamation of character, emotional distress, whatever. I just think it was poor to do it this early in the process when Fine hasn't been charged with anything officially. Could see them doing it if criminal charges are brought about, but they have not been at this point. They did what they should have to begin with ... place him on leave, but then they should let the process play out.
    There might not even be charges. There are major statute of limitations issues. In other words, he may be a pedophile who can never be tried because too much time passed after the acts (apparently 1970's to 1990's). So would you not fire a (possibly) retired pedophile just because he can't be found guilty in a court of law. If Syracuse gets successfully sued over this, it won't be by Bernie Fine.

moses millsap
    moses millsap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1260

This isn't remotely close to the Paterno situation; he was told what was going on and did nothing. Boeheim just stayed loyal to his friend. Not to mention, people in the know, already know Pedo State has long swept things under the rug.

UNCGQ
    UNCGQ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 905

In order to sue for Defamation of Character several acts have to have occurred, and Syracuse U could argue that since Fine is a public character, actual malice would also have to be proven. No false statements have been made by Syracuse U about Bernie Fine and being fired isn't a basis for filing a Defamation of Character suit.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9740

does this mean the coach is supporting a molestor
    How come not alot of news about this compared to others

don't believe a word coming out of his wife's mouth and that espn writer has so much false info its unreal.
    Innocent until proven guilty

EaglesPhan36

In all honesty if the Penn State scandal had not happened, this would not be in the public eye. Not saying that is right or wrong, but it is true. If you read all the info about the 2002/2003 investigation, the Syracuse newspaper and ESPN both sent reporters out to investigate Davis' claims and came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough to warrant making it a story. What has changed in eight years? Penn State and a guy RELATED (step brother) to the original accuser is backing up his story now. It's a sad state because who knows if these guys are out to make money off this or being honest ... and we have to question that which makes the whole thing a sad state of affairs.

And on the firing again, I just think it's kind of quick because of the situation but again because of the Penn State deal and all, I guess it's not surprising that Syracuse doesn't care to back Fine regardless of the eventual outcome.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

marc schwartz just said that this guy davis said tonight that he didn't know if boeheim ever saw him in a hotel room....even though he's the one who said it last week and tried to damn boeheim over this

this whole thing is fuked up....a lot different than sandusky other than pickle smooching

EaglesPhan36

Pickle Smooching.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

In all honesty if the Penn State scandal had not happened, this would not be in the public eye. Not saying that is right or wrong, but it is true. If you read all the info about the 2002/2003 investigation, the Syracuse newspaper and ESPN both sent reporters out to investigate Davis' claims and came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough to warrant making it a story. What has changed in eight years? Penn State and a guy RELATED (step brother) to the original accuser is backing up his story now. It's a sad state because who knows if these guys are out to make money off this or being honest ... and we have to question that which makes the whole thing a sad state of affairs.

And on the firing again, I just think it's kind of quick because of the situation but again because of the Penn State deal and all, I guess it's not surprising that Syracuse doesn't care to back Fine regardless of the eventual outcome.
    Dude, have you heard the verified recording with Fine's wife? Pretty damning.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I don't agree because of those tapes with his wife. Not sure where they've been all these years, but I think that throws Fine into the "guilty until proven innocent" heap.

Ralphie1412
    You Come at the King You Best Not Miss
    Ralphie1412's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1209

His wife sounds like a real cu.nt...
    ..what a joke.

How do u just accept that? Bernie doesn't "have issues" .......he's raping kids you dumb bitch.

Also espn should face charges for sitting on that phone recording for a ******* decade.

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

In all honesty if the Penn State scandal had not happened, this would not be in the public eye. Not saying that is right or wrong, but it is true. If you read all the info about the 2002/2003 investigation, the Syracuse newspaper and ESPN both sent reporters out to investigate Davis' claims and came to the conclusion that there wasn't enough to warrant making it a story. What has changed in eight years? Penn State and a guy RELATED (step brother) to the original accuser is backing up his story now. It's a sad state because who knows if these guys are out to make money off this or being honest ... and we have to question that which makes the whole thing a sad state of affairs. And on the firing again, I just think it's kind of quick because of the situation but again because of the Penn State deal and all, I guess it's not surprising that Syracuse doesn't care to back Fine regardless of the eventual outcome.

I keep coming to the conclusion that you haven't heard the recording while you keep saying this stuff? I'm not saying you're entirely wrong and all that, but, if I'm Syracuse and I see what's going on at Penn State, I'd fire this guy before I finished listening to the audio tapes.

And actually, I think Syracuse did exactly what you are saying they "should" be doing...they stood by him before the real "hard" evidence was released...they didn't just pull the trigger last week when this all hit the "public eye" as you said...they stood by him...but, when the evidence got too deep, obviously, when this tape was released...they made a good business decision and cut ties.

I'd argue they actually did what you are saying they should be doing...but again, it seems like you haven't heard the tape!? Syracuse did, and they came to the only logical conclusion...time to fire this guy.

12 Last