bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011

America's Most Dangerous Cities, 2011

A city where murder is nearly a daily occurance stands a good shot of being named the most violent, crime-prone area in the country. And last year there were 345 murders reported in the Detroit metropolitan area - altogether 1,111 violent crimes per 100,000 residents.

To compile our list of America’s most dangerous cities, we used the FBI’s uniform crime report for 2010, which tallies crime data for each of the country’s metropolitan statistical areas, regions that usually consist of a large city and its suburbs or nearby cities. Because small fluctuations in crime numbers can produce outsize jumps in rates in smaller metropolitan areas, we looked at MSAs with a population of 200,000 or more. We used the FBI’s numbers for four categories of violent crimes: murder and non-negligent manslaughter; forcible rape; robbery; and aggravated assault.

It’s commonly expected that crime will rise as economic conditions worsen, but that hasn’t been the case in the U.S. – violent crime has fallen for the past four years. In 2010, murder was down 4%, rape fell 5%, robbery dropped 10%, and aggravated assault fell 4%, according to the FBI. “There’s a complex series of forces at work behind these rates,” says Tom Blomberg, dean of the College of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State Univeristy. “The state of the economy, demographics, the number of young males at any given time, the rate of imprisonment and the number of police all factor in.”

The nationwide drop in crime extends to several of our most dangerous cities, including the Memphis, Tenn., area, which comes in at No. 2 with 1,006 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, down from 1,146 the year before. “Many of [the bottom-most cities] are actually improving, it’s just that so are other cities at a higher rate,” says Wolfram, an intelligence analyst at iJET.

Chronic poverty likely plays a role in Memphis’ high crime rate – 19.1% of the residents of the metropolitan area were below the poverty line in 2010, making it the most impoverished large metro area in the country, according to Census Bureau data. But detailed record keeping also plays a part in why Memphis ranks so highly on our list: the city’s police department adopted a data-driven approach to policing in 2006 that relies on exhaustive and meticulous incident tracking. As a result, it may be recording crimes that in other cities would go unreported to the FBI.

The Springfield, Ill., metropolitan area ranks third on our list with 855 violent crimes per 100,000 residents in 2010. The Illinois state capital confounds analysts who try to interpret its relatively high crime rate. The unemployment rate was lower than the national average at 7% as of July so the economy wouldn’t seem to play a major role in crime. The area’s relatively young population – 66% of the city is under the age of 44 – may be a factor, as younger areas generally have higher rates of crime.

Despite a foundering economy and a stubborn unemployment rate, crime in the United States continues the general downward trend that began in the 1990s. Is it because incarceration rates remain high? Because it takes time for crime trends to change? Or because there are more police on the streets using more sophisticated, data-driven methods? Experts can’t say, but the trend extends even to Detroit, which saw a decrease in murders from 398 in 2009 to 345 in 2010.

Here are America's five most dangerous cities, according to government statistics:

#5 Anchorage, AK
    Population: 313,181

Anchorage, AK is NO. 5 on the dangerous cities list.

With 813 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, Anchorage has a somewhat higher crime rate than cities of comparable size, and a rate that is double the size of Alaska as a whole. It is the largest city in the state, but it also has the largest rate of forcible rape, which contributes to Anchorage’s high crime statistics. Property crime, while not factored into our survey, is also double Alaska’s rate. Methamphetamine use has been a perennial problem in Anchorage and elsewhere in the state, and although laws have been passed to limit access to the pharmaceuticals necessary to manufacture meth in the state, a steady supply of the drug is still flowing in from Mexico.

#4 Flint, MI
    Population: 419,608

Flint, MI is No. 4 on the dangerous cities list.
    Photo: Associated Press

With 827 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, Flint is an example of a city where a lousy local economy and a high unemployment rate have fueled crime. The area has lost thousands of auto manufacturing jobs, and as with Detroit, there’s been a drop in population. “People don’t have jobs, they don’t have money for food, so they become a lot more desperate, and these trends take a long time to reverse,” says Megan Wolfram, an intelligence analyst at the risk assessment firm iJET.

#3 Springfield, IL
    Population: 206,601

Springfield, IL is No. 3 on the dangerous cities list.

The capital city of Illinois, Springfield ranks third on our list because it had 855 violent crimes per 100,000 residents in 2010. The city also confounds analysts who try to interpret its relatively high crime rate. The unemployment rate was lower than the national average at 7% as of July, so the economy wouldn’t seem to play a major role in crime. And although meth usage saw a small spike in the mid-2000s, a law passed a few years ago making the necessary pharmaceutical ingredients harder to buy seems to have cut down on abuse. There are also poorer neighborhoods – literally on the other side of the railroad tracks – that tend to have higher rates of poverty and the higher rates of crime that accompany that, which contributes to the city’s overall higher rate of crime. Another factor could be Springfield’s relatively young population – 66% of the city is under the age of 44 – and relatively younger populations are historically correlated with higher rates of crime.

#2 Memphis, TN
    Memphis TN-MS-AR Metropolitan Statistical Area
    Population: 1,313,722

Memphis, TN is No. 2 on the dangerous cities list.

The Memphis metropolitan area logged 1,006 violent crimes per 100,000 residents last year, down from 1,146 in 2009. Chronic poverty likely plays a role – 19.1% of the residents of the were below the poverty line in 2010, making it the most impoverished large metro area in the country, according to Census Bureau data. But detailed record keeping also plays a part in why Memphis ranks so highly on our list: the city's police department adopted a data-driven approach to policing in 2006 called Blue Crush that relies on accurate incident tracking, for which it adopted the FBI’s meticulous crime reporting method known as the National Incident-Based Reporting System. As a result, it may be recording crimes that in other cities would go unreported to the FBI. Though the crime rate remains comparatively high, the Memphis Police Department says that serious crime has dropped more than 25% since it began the Blue Crush program in 2006.

#1 Detroit, MI
    Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, MI Metropolitan District
    Population: 1,895,974

Detroit, MI is No. 1 on the dangerous cities list.

Detroit consistently ranks as one of America’s most crime-ridden cities, and it comes in first on our list for 2010 with 1,111 violent crimes per 100,000 residents. A precipitous drop in population and employment rates due to suburbanization and the struggles of the Big Three automakers is a big factor, leaving the city strapped of funds to devote to basic services like education and public safety. “Year in, year out, and decade after decade, there’s been a very large population loss,” says Brian Stults, an assistant professor of criminology at Florida State University. “A large section of the population is gone, and they’re not the people doing crime to begin with.”

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Anchorage sounds pretty fun

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

what happened to camden,nj

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Please provide a link to this... Wow, Springfield Il was where I grew up from 9 months to 10 years old.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by onetrickpony View Post
    The better question is what happen to St.Louis.

I know Mr.Richkas had something to do with that coin robbery this past summer but the cops could never make the charges stick.

Civil War-era coins stolen from St. Louis transportation museum

ST. LOUIS COUNTY • Police are looking for the thief or thieves who took six rare Civil War-era gold and silver U.S. coins from the Museum of Transportation over the weekend.

Museum staff and police believe a silver dollar and five gold coins dating back between the 1840s through the 1860s were stolen Saturday or Sunday from glass display cases in a traveling exhibit, "Money of the U.S. Civil War," commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.

"They're irreplaceable," said Kristen Valenti, special projects coordinator for the museum at 3015 Barrett Station Road. "We're just concerned with getting the artifacts back."

Workers discovered the coins missing shortly before the museum opened at 11 a.m. Sunday. Valenti said employees believe the coins were last seen in four display cases late Saturday afternoon before the museum's 5 p.m. closing time.

Police said there was no evidence of a break-in at the museum.

Workers set up the exhibit Friday morning on a second-floor mezzanine in the museum's Earl C. Lindburg Automobile Center. The exhibit, on loan from the American Numismatic Association Money Museum in Colorado Springs, Colo., was set to open Monday and run through June 30.

Museum president David Ahner said the coins' historical value ranged between $1 and $20 each. But today, he said "these are priceless."

Ahner said it appears the key locks on the display cases were picked.

During business hours, security guards patrol the museum but are not stationed directly by the coin display, Valenti said. The museum is locked and protected by an alarm system when closed.

Valenti said the six stolen coins were the most valuable part of the exhibit, which included other Civil War-era coins, paper currency used by the Confederates and other artifacts.

The theft of the coins "robs a piece of American history and the nation," Valenti said.

The exhibit is still open to the public but the museum, for security reasons, has substituted the remaining 21 coins with pictures and poster boards describing the items in the collection, Valenti said. Meanwhile, the exhibit will be moved to a more secure area that will be monitored by staff during business hours.

"These coins are an important piece of our collective history," Ahner said. "They must be returned so future generations can appreciate our nation's past."

Ahner said the museum is offering a $1,000 reward through Crimestoppers for information that helps return the coins. He said the museum would not ask for criminal charges if the thief or thieves simply returned them.

"I just want the coins back," he said.

Anyone with information about the theft is asked to call St. Louis County Police at 314-889-2341 or CrimeStoppers at 1-866-371-8477.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...#ixzz1ZrRz2Sen

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Please provide a link to this... Wow, Springfield Il was where I grew up from 9 months to 10 years old.
    Correct me if I'm wrong sir however, doesn't Brock Landers live there?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Doesn't Camden have a budding section on the river? Might offset the ghetto area, ie rest of the city.

If these places are worse than Newark I'd be shocked.

flyingillini

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong sir however, doesn't Brock Landers live there?
    No, he is in Champaign..........

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

City with large crime rate begats cokehead. Say it aint so.

flyingillini

Oakland should be on that list..... The Valley Joe

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

This is silly. So if you East Bumblenets with 30 other people and there are 10 crimes commited each year, it would fall in this category?

flyingillini

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    City with large crime rate begats cokehead. Say it aint so.
    Couldn't pay me to live in IL as an adult... I stay in Ca, Dr... Thanks for your input, guey.

bigboydan

Couldn't pay me to live in IL as an adult... I stay in Ca, Dr... Thanks for your input, guey.
    You mean East St.Louis is not for you sir.

flyingillini

You mean East St.Louis is not for you sir.
    Nothing like the scene from Vacation....... No place but CA is for me BBD...... In this Country at least....

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

this is the 3rd or 4th "most dangerous city" list useless yahoo has come up within the last year and none have stayed the same, except for Detroit

flyingillini

Les "Money Making" Gold needs to help out Detroit!

bigboydan

Nothing like the scene from Vacation
    If you think it was bad way back in the 80's you should see how much worse it's gotten since then. Hell, you know it's bad when people take target practice at the East St.Louis Mayor.

flyingillini

If you think it was bad way back in the 80's you should see how much worse it's gotten since then. Hell, you know it's bad when people take target practice at the East St.Louis Mayor.
    BBD, I want to start a fund for you. No reason a grown man needs to live in an area like that unless you have no choice. I will contribute $400 a month to a better life if you want one... If you get 6 poster's to contribute the same, I can get you a nice studio next to me in Pac Heights/Cow Hollow.... You need to live a better quality of life... You aren't getting any younger BBD....

bigboydan

BBD, I want to start a fund for you. No reason a grown man needs to live in an area like that unless you have no choice. I will contribute $400 a month to a better life if you want one... If you get 6 poster's to contribute the same, I can get you a nice studio next to me in Pac Heights/Cow Hollow.... You need to live a better quality of life... You aren't getting any younger BBD....
    That's very nice of you sir however, I'm very happy with where I am.

flyingillini

That's very nice of you sir however, I'm very happy with where I am.
    BBD, this is what makes us unique... Why anyone would want to live in a Bakersfield area is beyond me. BBD, let's trademark........ BBD4SBRGOVERNMENT!

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

poor detroit, check out this link. a photographer got a chance to take some great pictures of what Detroit is today.

http://thechive.com/2011/09/14/shit-...her-32-photos/

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

Represent

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

dude, i dont live far from camden and its needs to be on that list.. oakland as well... AC is really bad too

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Or Newark

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

False list.

Media hype

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

these numbers "favor" smaller cities. how about violent crime per square foot. new york and philly would be up there.

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

good old Flint, worst place I have ever lived... what a dump that shithole is

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

you could give jersey 3 in the top 10 easyt.... newark,camden,and ac

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

gary indiana needs to be on any worst city list

bigboydan

Anyone drive through Memphis lately. A machine gun is a must when driving through that city.

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

Guessing Rockford made the top 10

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Detroit City is a joke city.. That's the shittiest city ever..

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

BBD how bad is east st. louis? Never been to st louis, is it as bad as they say it is? I live in chicago, worse then chicago?

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

there are a lot of places that should be on there,. i agree with brock on gary needing to be up there

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

12 Last