Betpoints: 10

Well the kid will go bust
    No one wins
    He should move there and get a job and gamble recreationally

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I don't think you answered what kind of dog is it. I have two dogs and this might be a little messed, but if it was between Vegas and the Cocker Spaniel, I would leave her with the parents in a heartbeat. However, I don't know if I could part with my Choc. lab. Personally, I think it will be all right though...doesn't sound like your friend is going to be disciplined enough to ride the highs and lows of playing professionally. Have fun and keep the forum updated.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I can't stay in Vegas for more than 2 nights...not sure how anyone lives there.
    Career paths

Glitch
    Glitch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Quote Originally Posted by High3rEl3m3nt View Post
    I don't think you answered what kind of dog is it. I have two dogs and this might be a little messed, but if it was between Vegas and the Cocker Spaniel, I would leave her with the parents in a heartbeat. However, I don't know if I could part with my Choc. lab. Personally, I think it will be all right though...doesn't sound like your friend is going to be disciplined enough to ride the highs and lows of playing professionally. Have fun and keep the forum updated.
    gotta be a pit. fukk its hard to get an appartment to be ok with a pit bull. they're even illegal in some counties in the US.

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

just go man. fukkin just got off work and about to quit myself and move to vegas. no fukkin brainer.

Dom177
    Dom177's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1210

It would suck to leave you dog behind...especially because the ladies love a nice dog to come home to late at night

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Thurgood View Post
    Yeah I think both of us are considering jobs for back up. I've warned him about Vegas poker because I have way more trips under my belt and I know those poker rooms are full of cheats. Local players all protect each other so I think my buddy will have to break into one of those groups. I think he will be focusing on tourneys in an attempt to avoid the shady players.

I have my airfare booked so I am pretty excited.
    This is a mean post I'm writing, but there's a method to my madness:

Kid, if your level of poker analysis leads you to such a conclusion as I bolded in the quote above, you have no shot. If your friend shares it, good, I could always use another live one in the game.

Stay with mom and dad and the dog. That way you won't wake up in your thirties and find yourself with a wife and kids and lame job. You'll wake up with no wife, no kids, and no job at all. But a dog. You'll have a dog.

I can tell you are a massive poker donkey by the fact that you think this: "I have had people admit things to me like signaling strong and weak hands with specific bet amounts and betting up pots against non-locals and settling up outside the room."

First, bullfooey. YTF would anyone admit it to you? Why would a cheat or a team of cheats admit it to anyone? It's a story you made up to excuse your own losing.

The freaking games here on almost entirely on the up-and-up, and if they weren't, you'd be the last to know.

And the locals are all trying to cut each other's throats just as much as they are any tourist, and they almost all suck anyway. The people in the card rooms every day are degen regs, not local pros.

So I can tell you're a massive poker donkey by all that, but I can tell you are a massive sports betting donkey by the fact that you plan on this: "Not so much a worry for me because I'll be at the book."

Donkeys spend time in books. Sharps just visit. So if you're planning to spend time there ...

What will happen is you and your friend will end up going home one day and blaming all your failure here on the city, whereas Vegas will actually have had nothing to do with your failure, it will have been your own lack of IQ that's at fault. But you won't recognize that fact. You'll just blame "Vegas." And you'll be another local yokel somewhere sitting at the local bar telling people "Don't move to Vegas, that city's the devil, I know, me and my friend went and we got so cheated and there were drugs all over which we fell into and the women there lie and steal and ..."

Kid, when the time comes, walk through the Venetian poker room a few times a day mumbling, "Pokerjoe? Anyone here go by the handle Pokerjoe? He said he'd buy me bus fare home. Pokerjoe, anyone?"

It'll be degrading, but by that time you'll hardly notice.

Thurgood
    Thurgood's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 274

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerjoe View Post

Kid, if your level of poker analysis leads you to such a conclusion as I bolded in the quote above, you have no shot. If your friend shares it, good, I could always use another live one in the game.

Stay with mom and dad and the dog. That way you won't wake up in your thirties and find yourself with a wife and kids and lame job. You'll wake up with no wife, no kids, and no job at all. But a dog. You'll have a dog.

I can tell you are a massive poker donkey by the fact that you think this: "I have had people admit things to me like signaling strong and weak hands with specific bet amounts and betting up pots against non-locals and settling up outside the room."

First, bullfooey. YTF would anyone admit it to you? Why would a cheat or a team of cheats admit it to anyone? It's a story you made up to excuse your own losing.

The freaking games here on almost entirely on the up-and-up, and if they weren't, you'd be the last to know.

And the locals are all trying to cut each other's throats just as much as they are any tourist, and they almost all suck anyway. The people in the card rooms every day are degen regs, not local pros.

So I can tell you're a massive poker donkey by all that, but I can tell you are a massive sports betting donkey by the fact that you plan on this: "Not so much a worry for me because I'll be at the book."

Donkeys spend time in books. Sharps just visit. So if you're planning to spend time there ...

What will happen is you and your friend will end up going home one day and blaming all your failure here on the city, whereas Vegas will actually have had nothing to do with your failure, it will have been your own lack of IQ that's at fault. But you won't recognize that fact. You'll just blame "Vegas." And you'll be another local yokel somewhere sitting at the local bar telling people "Don't move to Vegas, that city's the devil, I know, me and my friend went and we got so cheated and there were drugs all over which we fell into and the women there lie and steal and ..."

Kid, when the time comes, walk through the Venetian poker room a few times a day mumbling, "Pokerjoe? Anyone here go by the handle Pokerjoe? He said he'd buy me bus fare home. Pokerjoe, anyone?"

You are so defensive because I can tell by your post that you did not read the entire thread. Nowhere did I say I was going to play poker. Also, just because I want to watch my games in the book doesn't make me a donkey. As stated previously, my friend will be pursuing poker professionally so he'll be grinding it out for hours so might as well enjoy the company of the people at the book.

Bro, I know what I heard. Maybe because they know I don't play poker is why they told me what really goes on but with all the cheating taking place online, are you that naive to believe it's not going on in the brick and mortar rooms?

Chill with the name calling, too. You think because you spend all day at the Venetian that intimidates me? I don't know how you stand the fake perfume smell they pump through the vents. If you are a "professional" why are you even on a sports betting forum? The significant chance you leak your BR on sports and other games could give me enough evidence to call you a donkey but I won't.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

hard to believe you have an "old college friend", and he sold his "business"(how he found buyer in this economy is questionable) and you both only in your 20's. if he had a business that succeeded that well he should have held onto it. yes, by all means go to vegas and come home crying to mama that you are hungry and broke saying i think i made a mistake. because it would be one.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    hard to believe you have an "old college friend", and he sold his "business"(how he found buyer in this economy is questionable) and you both only in your 20's. if he had a business that succeeded that well he should have held onto it. yes, by all means go to vegas and come home crying to mama that you are hungry and broke saying i think i made a mistake. because it would be one.
    Out of your element. Businesses are bought and sold all the time regardless of the economy. Did yah ever think maybe the buyer bought because they got a good price with the bad economy or maybe my friend predicted a potential downswing so he sold before he went belly up?

Damn dude this is not Wall Street Money Never Sleeps over here.

Ice House
    Ice House's Avatar Become A Pro!

man... take your dog with you. I'm sure you can find a place that will allow your dog. Most of the time apartments don't even inforce those breed restrictions.

at my apartment they lady who rented the apartment has a pitbull. And I have a rottweiler. Take your dog, your dog will be sad without you.

Ice House

you will wish you had your dog when some thug breaks into your house while your sleeping to slit your throat. Vegas is a very rough area just outside the strip.

hels
    hels's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would go but your buddy is going to find it tough. Poker doesn't have the money making potential it did 5-10 years ago. The only way he'll win is grinding out the .50/1 or 1/2 no limit tables. I think one of his reasons for wanting you to come is just to have a buddy. He won't meet many other outgoing people to party with at the tables who live fulltime there.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

still don't believe you, but if it's true you will be spending most of your time alone since your briliant business owner and seller will be pondering what to do with his queens or kings knowing an ace will come up on the flop and probably beat him. after about a day and three quarters you will be looking for train schedules to come home. don't give up the dog so you will have something to come back to.

maddogmadden86
    maddogmadden86's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'd do it man, i wish i had a boy to move there with, as long as you both got clear heads you will be fine, its a once in a life time experience you gotta go for it.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by Ice House View Post
    you will wish you had your dog when some thug breaks into your house while your sleeping to slit your throat. Vegas is a very rough area just outside the strip.
    Most likely nothing I haven't seen before living in Chicago.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by hels View Post
    I would go but your buddy is going to find it tough. Poker doesn't have the money making potential it did 5-10 years ago. The only way he'll win is grinding out the .50/1 or 1/2 no limit tables. I think one of his reasons for wanting you to come is just to have a buddy. He won't meet many other outgoing people to party with at the tables who live fulltime there.
    I think at the moment he wants to focus on tournaments but that could change. Might also find difficulty transitioning from online to brick and mortar.

Another benefit of us both going is keeping each other in check. I've done solo trips to Vegas and have fallen into those situations where I had nobody to say WTF are you doing?!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Thurgood go

Fuk these frustrated clowns just be careful

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    I can't stay in Vegas for more than 2 nights...not sure how anyone lives there.
    It is not easy.
    If you are questioning moving because of your dog, their are obviously underlying reasons why you don't want to go.
    Either that, or the thread is written in humor. If that is the case, I think it is pretty funny.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by Casperwaits View Post
    It is not easy.
    If you are questioning moving because of your dog, their are obviously underlying reasons why you don't want to go.
    Either that, or the thread is written in humor. If that is the case, I think it is pretty funny.
    Reasons to go and not to go...

To Go:
    1. Once in a lifetime opportunity
    2. Free rent
    3. Change of scenery
    4. Chillin' with a buddy I haven't seen in awhile
    5. Current lifestyle has just become too mundane and routine

Not to Go:
    1. My dog. First dog I ever owned and we are very attached.
    2. Vegas stigma. No sympathy if something goes wrong because it's Vegas.
    3. Family doesn't approve
    4. Low BR at the moment

Definitely not a joke. I can see valid arguments both ways.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

man, your that dogs whole world , he loves you more than you could ever love him. he as gave his life to spend it with you. he is your foundation and if you leave him it will break his heart , and yours will always have a crack in it. you will hate yourself

PanamaBrad
    PanamaBrad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 395

This all has to be for laughs.

thebestthereis
    thebestthereis's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8056

go for it, just don't gamble

boneheaded1
    boneheaded1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1081

I understand dog ownership and attachment to the dog. You are using the dog as an excuse to avoid taking the plunge into something unknown.

Look, it's only 6 months. If things work out, you'll stay and get a dog friendly place and come back and get him. If not, your back home in six months enjoying life with Fido again.

WHAT IS THE ISSUE HERE?!?! It certainly isn't the frickin dog. Overcome your fear of the unknown and DO IT!!!!!

Life is to short and youth is too fleeting to NOT take this opportunity. I PROMISE you, that if your dog could talk, he'd encourage you to do it. Quit your wussy "oh, my dog. . ." and tell your buddy you are down.

Thurgood

Quote Originally Posted by boneheaded1 View Post
    I understand dog ownership and attachment to the dog. You are using the dog as an excuse to avoid taking the plunge into something unknown.

Look, it's only 6 months. If things work out, you'll stay and get a dog friendly place and come back and get him. If not, your back home in six months enjoying life with Fido again.

WHAT IS THE ISSUE HERE?!?! It certainly isn't the frickin dog. Overcome your fear of the unknown and DO IT!!!!!

Life is to short and youth is too fleeting to NOT take this opportunity. I PROMISE you, that if your dog could talk, he'd encourage you to do it. Quit your wussy "oh, my dog. . ." and tell your buddy you are down.
    I like this ^^^

When this particular friend and I talk about business decisions or even life choices we use the rats in the bucket analogy. Imagine you had a couple rats in a bucket and they were all clawing to get out and when one rat would almost make it, another rat would pull him down.

I asked him how other people around him have taken his decision to move to Vegas and he said like usual I have rats trying to pull me down. He said people usually act that way because they lack the courage to make huge changes in their life like that or they fear the person taking the huge risk might actually succeed and be even more successful than themselves. Eventually a rat will crawl out of the bucket, right?

I definitely think I am dealing with fear of the unknown and even fear of failure. I just gotta keep telling myself it is alright to try and fail but not okay to not try at all.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

go out there, leave your dog with your parents... after six months all the drugs/gambling chances are that 'huge roll' will be gone anyway and you'll b back at home with your parents and your doggy again...

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    go out there, leave your dog with your parents... after six months all the drugs/gambling chances are that 'huge roll' will be gone anyway and you'll b back at home with your parents and your doggy again...

I just put my 13 year old lab down last week, ******* sucks

chrisharvard01
    chrisharvard01's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 145

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerjoe View Post

Sharp post

Thurgood

Moving to Vegas tomorrow!!! I'll keep you guys updated in this thread. My friend has been there since the end of last week and has been playing a tournament a day but still hasn't cashed but has gotten close (only a matter of time).

Ice House

bring your dog with you

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

U should go. Do it for US!

goblue12
    goblue12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 453

Good luck. This town chews up and spits out 99% of sports bettors.

And the ones that do make it will be asked not to bet some establishments.

zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

GL man. Your only young once, take a shot, who gives a fuk if you go bust go back home. Stay away from the powder and youll make it

Thurgood

Update

Been here since Tuesday night and well bad time for a capper to get into town. Really did not want to bet MLB but did lose on the Yanks Gm 5. Other than that it has been a shit show and complete BR leaks in craps and baccarat. Somehow won on those games until last night and was just buried while I was hammered at the HRH.

Won with Boise -13 first half last night, too.

For any of you poker players I have seen Johnny Chan twice at the Wynn baccarat lounge.

Pretty rough town that is just filled with sin. Just going to the casino is quickly losing it's appeal.

First 123 Last