Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can I get some Thai food suggestions?

So the wife's B-day is the week and she really likes Thai food. We've lived here for almost 5 years and never had Thai because I've never wanted it but I want to take her there for her birthday. Only problem is I've never had Thai food. I would have no clue what to order. I know she's had it before and will know what she likes but I was hoping to make a suggestion or two of something maybe she hasn't tried. So what do you all like? Any good soups? What is the most common dish? Like Chinese food a real common dish is the Sweet and Sour chicken, is there anything like that? Thanks for the suggestions

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Check this out. Some of these are what I gorged on when I've gone there but I can't eat it anymore. Been sick too many times now

(because of the water - not the food)

http://www.phuket.com/cuisine/toptenfood.htm

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Thx for the link shari. And glad to know you werent sick because of the food what was/is your fav thai dish?

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

If I were to eat it now I'd go for a green curry or Pad Thai. Khao Phat is their version of fried rice and and there are a few variations on it - that's yummy too. Their clear soups are really good also but they tend to be overloaded with lemongrass and just the smell of it now makes me queasy. Just make sure if you're not into burning hot spicy that you let them know because some dishes can be extraordinarily hot.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

I usually have chicken pad thai, with rice on the side. if its too spicy, adding rice will help.
    i also get BBQ beef rolls to start.

thejanitor
    thejanitor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1779

I usually get the panang curry with cooked tofu, 2 stars for spices. The Thai place around here uses a star rating for spices 1-5 stars.
    Last edited by thejanitor; 09-26-11 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ...

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

get the Pho Piah tod for an appetizer. It's like a egg roll. I like the kind with the soft shell. The fried ones are good to. But you have to have the peanut sauce with it. Get some pad tai and some chicken curry. Thai desserts sucks so go out for ice cream.

nyyanks773
    nyyanks773's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 358

i love drunken noodles ... good if you like spicy

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

capper dont get cute....go chicken pad thai....maybe add some shrimp

anything else and it's a crap shoot

maybe others have had better experiences but most other dishes have varied a lot from restaurant to restaurant in my experience

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5

Thx for all the advice guys. We will be going tonight or tomorrow. I think I'll go with the concensus and get the chicken pad thai and some rice. It's much appreciated

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yeah Pad Thai is the most famous dish, it has noodles with shrimp and peanuts in it. I also get the Pad See Ew which has flat rice noodles, bok choy, egg, and your choice of meat.

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

for soups,

you can't beat the WONTON CHICKEN, THAI HOT