fsfalcons
    fsfalcons's Avatar Become A Pro!

Basketball Cards

Does anyone collect these things anymore? I bought so many of these things when I was younger and have a pretty sick collection, but are they worth anything these day?

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Man I don't think so. Can never get the actual listed value in like 99% of cards. How big is your collection?

fsfalcons

Yeah I guess they were just a fad like pogs or something haha. Its pretty huge I've got everything from Chamberlain's years to most recently Lebrons rookie class

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I have boxes of them too. It seems it was kind of a scam eh?... A lot of good memories collecting though..

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

I still have a good amount of cards and autographs... pick up a tuff stuff magzine usually has values in there... value is down on most stuff from the economy

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

they're worth something if you can find someone to buy them. stay away from dealers as they will only give you 1/3 value.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

they are not as worth as much now due to the economy if you don't have to get raid of them hold on to them till times are good then unload them.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    I have boxes of them too. It seems it was kind of a scam eh?... A lot of good memories collecting though..
    I've not only have boxes but cases of them Bill. BTW, If you ever need any Tim Ducan rookies just lmk.

mattmc419
    mattmc419's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I have quite a few.

I still buy them because I get them autographed at games. Not sure what that does in terms of value though.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I think the earlier years...such as Fleer during MJ's rookie season are worth a few bucks...but anything over the past 5-10 years has been mass produced to the point that you might as well used them as toilet paper

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

The ones today are worth way more than the crap in the 80s.

Blake Griffin shit goin' thru the roof, lebron shit thru the roof.

same in NFL. Tom Brady RC worth fukin 2-3k n shit. ridiculous

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

cards from the 80s and 90s will never be worth anything...you can wait 100 years and they will still be worthless.. The card companies flooded the market during that period...mass produced everything...

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Yeah, I do miss the thrill of opening a pack and wonder of I got one of the hot inserts....that type of mentality as a kid is probably why I got into gambling lol....loving the "chance" of getting the card that was worth big money lol

fsfalcons

hahah same! It's all starting to make sense now...

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

going to card shows and local malls where my fav day of the year... got a pretty nice collection, alot of peyton manning rc that im hoping to get some value from down the road... collected football more than any other sport.../

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by spankie View Post
    The ones today are worth way more than the crap in the 80s.

Blake Griffin shit goin' thru the roof, lebron shit thru the roof.

same in NFL. Tom Brady RC worth fukin 2-3k n shit. ridiculous

BS...the 1986 Fleer basketball cards were money.....the crap today with a couple of exceptions are nothing. Maybe a couple of specially produced cards like Griffin or LeBron, but the rest are crap. If you're holding cards like a Magic, Bird, Alcindor, Jordan, or Maravich card....that's a winner....because alot of those companies are gone because of bankruptcy etc. Upper Deck sucked up a few companies, but the production is nothing but as many as they can produce.....not like years ago.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

There are some current sets that are worth money with like autograph inserts and jersey inserts but shlt...packs of those go as high as $100 a pack so kill yourself if you own any of them.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

I have a good collection. I do think the Beckett prices are inflated for self-serving purposes. And consider the buy/sell quotes. Yes, most dealers are scum and just looking to take them off your hands.

My biggest error = separating the Bird/Magic rookies on the perforation, when I was a little guy.