70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

computer specs question

Probably not the best place to ask this question, but easier then finding and signing up at a new forum just to ask one question. I am sure somebody here will know.

I am a musician who does a lot of demo recording on the computer. My current computer is not able to handle large multi-track sessions (i.e 12+ tracks imported into a single multi-track session). It skips and freezes when I have too many tracks it has to read simultaneously. I am pretty clueless when it comes computer tech stuff. My question is...on my next computer purchase...what kind of specs am I going to have to look for that would be ideal for multi-track recording/mixing? I am not sure what kind of specs would be responsible for that kind of performance. Memory? GHZ? Other?

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

Mainly memory and processor speed. What software are you trying to use?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

What the above poster said.

What is your current RAM size? You may be able to upgrade, or you may have to buy a new computer.

70kgman

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    What the above poster said.

What is your current RAM size? You may be able to upgrade, or you may have to buy a new computer.
    2.79GHz, 0.99 GB RAM.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    2.79GHz, 0.99 GB RAM.
    there's your problem... Audio/video editing is quite processor/memory intensive.... running that many "sessions" requires a tremendous amount of RAM in order to simultaneously process and input/output.

When purchasing a new system, ensure your motherboard can handle whatever amount of RAM you are trying to throw at it (there should be multiple banks to insert/upgrade your RAM) and that it is compatible with whatever CPU you are purchasing. Computer salesmen are worse than used car salesmen.

Your GHz rating is that of your CPU... your CPU is like the brain of your computer.... RAM can be thought of as your brains capacity to handle amounts of information at a given time. The more RAM you have, better/faster your brains ability to process it.

70kgman

Thanks for the response. What would you consider a good amount of RAM for a computer to have? 2GB+?

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

4GB

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3457

Quote Originally Posted by SpreadSniper View Post
    4GB
    to be honest if you are serious about this "music" you want 4gb at least.. but i would go with 8 if you can afford it

Dabeergod
    Da Big D Boyz !!!
    Dabeergod's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 279

Yea, your ram is horrible. I would upgrade that to 4gb at least if I was you since you are a musician and run multiple programs at times. Ram itself is actually pretty cheap. A brand like Kingston will get the job done for a low price. You can also go with 8gb but you wouldn't notice too much difference from a 4gb if you are only working with music software.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum
    UZI Suicide's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7753

What kind of processor is your computer running Intel or AMD?

Upgrading the processor can do wonders for an old computer. I had a Dell Vostro 200 from 2007 that had an Intel Pentium E2140 Dual Core processor 1.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache. I purchased an OEM version of the Intel E5800 3.2GHz 2MB L2 Cache, popped it in and the computer runs like a dream, much faster. The OEM version only cost me $59.99 (Retail is $76.99 at Newegg) which was all I needed because I reused the original heat sink and fan that came with the computer. Swapping out a processor is very easy and if you're not sure how to do it there are plenty of videos you can watch on Youtube.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum

Quote Originally Posted by Dabeergod View Post
    Yea, your ram is horrible. I would upgrade that to 4gb at least if I was you since you are a musician and run multiple programs at times. Ram itself is actually pretty cheap. A brand like Kingston will get the job done for a low price. You can also go with 8gb but you wouldn't notice too much difference from a 4gb if you are only working with music software.
    He would need to be running a processor with 64 bit capabilities in order for his computer to recognize 8GB of RAM and it sounds like he has an old single core running probably the 32 bit version of Windows XP.

It would help if the OP told us exactly what brand, model his computer is so we could see if it is even worth upgrading.

70kgman

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingtostart View Post
    What software are you trying to use?
    Adobe Audition 2.0 is what I use most for recording/mixing.

Quote Originally Posted by UZI Suicide View Post
    What kind of processor is your computer running Intel or AMD?

Intel 2.8 GHz.

Is that a good processor speed? It seems like just upgrading this computer with a 4GB+ RAM would be better than buying a new computer. They seem to only be in the $50-$60 range on ebay.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum

You could try throwing more RAM in it and if it helps, problem solved. But if you have say an old Intel Pentium 4, single core, from back in the day and you are trying to run an intense music program, you might still get a skips and freezes.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum

P.S. The best place with the cheapest prices to look for RAM is at Newegg dot com, not eBay. Plus if you have to return something the Egg is easier to deal with.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    Intel 2.8 GHz.

Is that a good processor speed?
    It is if you're talking a Dual Core or a Quad Core processor.

If it's a Single Core then you are talking old school and newer intense programs will probably give you problems. Older computers like that aren't really worth putting money into.

mojomaker11
    mojomaker11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Need more RAM and a better processor I would say.