View Poll Results: How do you feel about people who check messages or text during a movie?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate people who check messages in the theater, I want to kill them

16 40.00%
  • It annoys me, but I can ignore it.

5 12.50%
  • Doesn't bother me at all, I'm too busy watching the movie.

11 27.50%
  • Hell, I'm one of the people who checks messages.

8 20.00%
    The Inevitable
    The Inevitable's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3256

Poll: Cell Phone Texting In The Theater

Okay, so this lady in the movie theater sees a guy with his cell phone on. He's not talking on it, he's checking a message probably. So she gets up (the guy is like 5 rows in front of her), walks down to the guy, bends over and asks him to turn it off. She's not an usher or a theater employee, but just someone watching the movie like me.

He doesn't turn it off right away, but before she can make it back to her seat, he closes the phone. After the movie is over, I see the guy waiting in the aisle.. maybe he wants to apologize I'm thinking... or maybe not. The lady is about to pass him, when he starts yelling at her. "You need to mind your fuking business!!!... You don't know what the fuks going on in my life!! Or what the fuk I'm doing!!.. So keep you fuking nose out of other peoples shit!!"

People have stopped and started watching and the lady is obviously scared because she doesn't say anything. But she tries to play if off by rolling her eyes, then walks away.

My question is, should the lady have said anything? The guy wasn't talking on his cell phone. He just had it open.. checking a message. The light from the cell bothered her.
    Last edited by The Inevitable; 08-05-11 at 01:21 PM.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

it's an important issue, i would weigh in on it but i don't give a rat's ass. peace.

The Inevitable

Thanks I put up a poll just to see what people response is. Maybe I should have put "Poll" in the title.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Guy was a douchebag. In a dark theatre these new phones screens look like a goddamned spotlight. Second he was a douchebag ffor yelling at the lady. He obviously needs attention, much like a small child. Lastly, had i seen this i would have punched the kid in his throat.

wquine
    Bet2BLucky
    wquine's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10812

so theaters still exist? i watch movies at home. this is one of the many reasons why.

Waterstpub87
    Slan go foill
    Waterstpub87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7292

Forget that, the woman should mind her own business. Women are fuggin busybodies. Like it really took that much away from her movie experience for him to look at his phone 5 rows away from her.

zert
    zert's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3617

I agree that these bigger screen cell phone do give off quite a bit of light. If it was so important he should of left or been more aware as to try and block some of the light. But even at that if it is a good movie people moving around distract me. But if it was not for long she should of just tried to deal with it. That is why dont go to theaters very often. Lots of People are just not very well mannered anymore. No respect for much of anything.

The Inevitable

Quote Originally Posted by Cap dat 4ss View Post
    Guy was a douchebag. In a dark theatre these new phones screens look like a goddamned spotlight. Second he was a douchebag ffor yelling at the lady. He obviously needs attention, much like a small child. Lastly, had i seen this i would have punched the kid in his throat.
    Just to be clear, it wasn't a kid... a grown man, with one of those biker beards, with the cheeks shaven and the goatee is long. Would you have still tried punching him in the throat?

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterstpub87 View Post
    Forget that, the woman should mind her own business. Women are fuggin busybodies. Like it really took that much away from her movie experience for him to look at his phone 5 rows away from her.
    So this justifies him throwing a tantrum and yelling at a lady in public. Guy obviously has issues to act that way. I suspect you may have similar issues.

And it apparently it did take that much away from her experience. Enough for her to approach him and ask him to do something he shouldnt have been doing in the first place.

goofyre
    Cole World.
    goofyre's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

I turn my backlight on low and barely pull it out of pocket to see if its something important. Never know what could happen so it's nice to check to be sure.

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

Guy shouldn't be F-ing with his phone for long during the movie. But if he does it one or twice and is quick about it, nobody should F with him. If he's F-ing around with it constantly the whole first half of the movie, kindly let him know it's annoying you, don't bitch at him and make him feel like a douche, even if he is one.

T4k
    T4k's Avatar Become A Pro!

I check mine but i'm quick about it and try and block the light.

stikymess
    stikymess's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 63

Quote Originally Posted by wquine View Post
    so theaters still exist? i watch movies at home. this is one of the many reasons why.
    This.

Last time I went 3 years ago, teens in front of me all texting.

emoney
    emoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I stopped going to the movies ten years ago because of peoples lack of manners.

I can only imagine what it is like now.

If I went to a movie now, there is a good chance I would end up in jail for killing someone.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

How are you not gonna pull out your phone and check who's winning the Yanks-Sox game for an entire 2 hours?

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

She should have minded her own business.

The light couldn't have bothered her that bad!

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

lose/lose either way you answer this one

1. If you say the guy was in the wrong for checking a message:

What if his wife and him left their little 2 year old girl with the babysitter and his phone is the only way for the babysitter to contact the family in case of an emergency?

2. If you say the guy was right checking it?

Most cinemas have rules stated that you are to turn off all cell phones prior to the movie starting so the guy would have been breaking the rules of the cinema. And it is pretty standard, common courtesy to turn it off out of respect for others.

My take on it, if you have the ringer on silent or vibrate and only checking messages, I see nothing wrong with this at all. Especially in the example I used in 1, some people always have to have their phone on in case of emergencies. You are not bothering anyone and not making any noise to disrupt the movie so no harm IMO.

As for the guy losing it on the lady after the movie, not acceptable and he could have handled it better by remaining calm and just informing her that he didn't appreciate it not minding her own business.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

it wouldn't bother me as long as brightness was turned down and sound turned off.

monika
    monika's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate when people uses phones in theatre.

GOIRISH
    GOIRISH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1128

some jackass checking his phone every once in a while is the least of my worries if i go to the movies. i hate the fat guy who fuckin takes up 2 seats and his fat wife keeps having to get up to use the bathroom and his annoying kids keep talking

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

They should just block all cell phone signals in a movie theater. So what if there's an emergency at home? What happened 15 years ago when emergencies happened at home and you were at the theater? People make this huge deal about being accessible 24/7/365. Fukk that. I turn my cell phone completely off when I go into a movie theater.

teddyd
    teddyd's Avatar Become A Pro!

i checked my phone the other day to see if the babysitter was ok

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

The real question is what race the man was and what race the woman was. That always puts a different perspective on who was right and who was wrong. Think about it.

liuliu7828
    liuliu7828's Avatar Become A Pro!

i watch movies at home.

liuliu7828
    liuliu7828's Avatar Become A Pro!

very good!!

very good!!

charlesbroccoli
    charlesbroccoli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5829

I usually just turn my phone on silent and check it for the time.

ColdBeerHere
    Tailing Wilson
    ColdBeerHere's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8151

I can't answer your question...The last movie I saw at a theater was The Last Samauri...and before that it was House Party 2...can't remember any cell phones though....

heck house party2 i dont think anyone had cell phones then anyways lol

rggolds8
    rggolds8's Avatar Become A Pro!

if people would limit there use of cell for to appropiate places there would be less car wrecks and less injuries. As far as the lady goes she to paid to see a muvie not be distracted by lights on phones. However it was not her place to confront that individual they have people for that. If it truley bothered her she should have walked a couple of more rows and found an usher. Some people just want to control everyone around them and usually wind up hurt when they confront the wrong person.

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

He should have been trying to get his fingers stinky instead of texting.

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

what did all these people do years ago before cell phones and pagers were invented? they still went to the movies. if you're at some point in your life where you are so involved in something that you can't go 2 hours without checking your phone, then skip the f*cking movie and be where you are supposed to be.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: chilidog

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

she was probaly checking a line