robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

My confidence is shot playing softball

I dont know what is wrong with me the last couple of weeks. It's like I have forgotten how to throw and hit.

My throws are all over the place... even in pre game warm up. Plus, every time Im at bat, all I hit are deep fly balls. Besides BP, what can I do?

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16666

Stop thinking and just play.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

best advice i ever got in baseball....i dropped 2 straight fly balls and my coach told me to stop catching the ball and just make sure it hits my glove...it will close when it gets in the web. sure enough, never dropped a fly ball the rest of the year. as far as throwing, previous poster is right, stop thinking and throw it

head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

might be time to hang em up, i wouldnt worry you got hof numbers...

Lincoln73
    Lincoln73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

The mackey sasser of rec league softball.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: will2survive

MexicanStallion
    MexicanStallion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11153

Maybe your confidence will be boosted by knowing my team sucks at softball. Have lost over 40 Games Straight

OneLossParlayGuy
    OneLossParlayGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1464

Its time to give it up

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
    I dont know what is wrong with me the last couple of weeks. It's like I have forgotten how to throw and hit. My throws are all over the place... even in pre game warm up. Plus, every time Im at bat, all I hit are deep fly balls. Besides BP, what can I do?
    maybe take a 1/2 step back in the box.... let the ball come down then drive through it with a level swing. If that still doesn't solve your problems, you might want to have a beer before the game to loosen ya up, I know its doesn't sound like solid advice in a sporting event, but its slow pitch softball and 1 beer won't affect your reactions, will just calm you down so you can hit the ball level and hit line drives.

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

When batting try for walks.

When in the field switch to the catcher position. On throws back to the pitchers you can walk a few feet ahead of home plate and under hand the ball back to pitcher who can come of mound, thus significantly reducing chances of an errant throw.

drunkenbeaver
    drunkenbeaver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 811

When I lose my swing I make a conscious effort to go up the middle or the other way. Seems to get me back in the groove.

When throwing, make sure you're not slinging the ball from your side and you come over the top. A couple guys on my team sling it so it looks almost sidearm.. really pisses me off because the ball tails 80% of the time.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

you got the yips. my understanding the cure is to recite all the playboy centerfolds information to clear the mind.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

Do some blow, seriously it helps focus incredibly. Even just going to the gym, as long as you don't blow your heart up best work out of your life..do some blow during the game and you'll be hitting the cover off the ball and all throws will be on target.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Lincoln 73 took the Mackey Sasser right out of my mouth.

If you're hitting deep fly balls consistently, try not to kill the ball and worry about your technique regarding swinging. Before trying to hit a homer everytime, swing the way that you were taught as a kid (without trying to kill the ball) while trying to hit the ball on the "meat" of the bat. (the sweet spot). When you get your confidence back, you won't be thinking about every aspect of your game. It's mostly mental.

I was a pitcher when I was younger but I could also hit. When I first started playing baseball as a kid, I had no confidence (just ability). I knew people in the stands were counting on me. I struckout my first 4 times at bat in the league below little league (when I was very young). I was embarrassed. My father was hard on me because I was the kid that when I was 8 years old, he would call over 12 year old kids and make me pitch to them. I would strike them out. He expected the same out of hitting.

In my 5th at-bat (I thought that I would strikeout like always) and I drilled the ball past the centerfielder. I can still remember it 30 years later (I'll be 40). I just stood at the plate in disbelief. People were screaming at me to run and I ran like there was not tomorrow. Unfortuantely, I took so long to get out of the batters box that I got a triple (it was an easy home run).

There's a point to all of my words. From then on, I had confidence, I never really worried about anything again. I remember going 10 for my next 12 (and I was the kid pitcher). From then on I realized it was all in my head.

Once you get this crap out of your head and just play ball, if you're skilled, your talents will come out naturally. Everything is so psychological. I will never forget running around that basepath with my batting helmet hanging off my head (that's how they were made, with chinstraps). It's one of the best feelings that I've ever experienced.

I know this isn't about me. I hope that you get the message. Get out there and have fun. Don't stress and let the game come to you.

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

another great tip for softball....swing a half second later than you want to. literally, pull back to start your swing and wait a little longer. youll break out of it

ncsubowen
    ncsubowen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanStallion View Post
    Maybe your confidence will be boosted by knowing my team sucks at softball. Have lost over 40 Games Straight
    Stallion do you live in Raleigh? I played 3 seasons straight without a win. Including a game where we were up 11 runs.... then gave up 12 in the subsequent inning.