Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

Can someone help me with this Computer Related problem?

Ok it's about RAM. I had 512 MB of RAM on my computer to begin with. I just ordered 1GB of RAM and installed it manually, rebooted my computer checked how much memory it said I had, and it tells me I now have 448 MB of RAM.

I'm not a mathematician but how does 512 + 1064 = 448? My computer does seem to be running the same but I don't know why it would think I now have LESS memory when I just added double what I originally had.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

sure its the right speed ram? all ram is not interchangeable due to different speeds, frequencies, etc

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16678

Have someone else install the RAM. Also make sure you get the right kind of RAM.

Masu485
    Masu485's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12813

I checked online to see which RAM was compatible with my motherboard, and I bought it. Now I see that the stick doesn't even go into the slot properly. The little crevice on the bottom doesn't line up so there's no way to put it in. I'm livid.

Not only that, but I had 512 MB of RAM before this whole thing, after removing and putting back in my 2 old 256MB sticks, it says I only have 448 MB of RAM now. I try to add RAM and end up with less than before. This doesn't make sense. Am thinking of just buying a whole new computer now. Ugh.

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

have u tried testing by just using the new ram and removing the old ram ?

update on results...

cornwallace
    cornwallace's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11266

u had 2x 256mb ram sticks?
    and now you´ve ordered a single 1gb ram stick right? or 2x 512?
    What´s your motherboard and, what´s the RAM you bought...

boscotherock
    boscotherock's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the notch doesn't line up, you obviously bought the wrong type of ram. I work in the IT field and this happens when people dont know what their doing, and its hard to get you money back. Leave it to the professionals pap

Eleven
    Eleven's Avatar Become A Pro!

Test your new memory, it may be that the sticks are faulty (I once bought some and one was faulty) You can do this with memtest86...http://www.memtest.org/

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    I checked online to see which RAM was compatible with my motherboard, and I bought it. Now I see that the stick doesn't even go into the slot properly. The little crevice on the bottom doesn't line up so there's no way to put it in. I'm livid. Not only that, but I had 512 MB of RAM before this whole thing, after removing and putting back in my 2 old 256MB sticks, it says I only have 448 MB of RAM now. I try to add RAM and end up with less than before. This doesn't make sense. Am thinking of just buying a whole new computer now. Ugh.
    yeah if the notch doesn't line up then you bought the wrong memory. chances are if you are running 2x256 you have sdram installed. you probably bought ddram and yeah it won't fit due to the notches being off.

and as far as you having 512 installed but windows only showing 448, don't worry. you still have 512 but windows works in funny ways where it might have to allocate memory to something else (possibly the video card). so don't panic over that.

best bet is to pull the old ram and look on there for markings like pc-133 or something of the sorts. then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0 View Post
    have u tried testing by just using the new ram and removing the old ram ? update on results...
    he won't be able to test the new ram as it doesn't fit in his board.

Lookingtostart
    Lookingtostart's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4542

I'm guessing you need DDR1 and you probably bought DDR2? DDR1s are cheap on ebay, just get them. Plus it's gotta be the right speed but most are backwards compatible.

Trident
    Update your status
    Trident's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2791

Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    Now I see that the stick doesn't even go into the slot properly. The little crevice on the bottom doesn't line up so there's no way to put it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookingtostart View Post
    I'm guessing you need DDR1 and you probably bought DDR2? DDR1s are cheap on ebay, just get them. Plus it's gotta be the right speed but most are backwards compatible.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum
    UZI Suicide's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7693

Go to crucial.com and use the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool. Type in the make and model of your PC and it will tell you what type of RAM goes into your PC. Almost all company's that sell RAM have an advisor tool on their home page.

After you find out what type of RAM you need go to newegg.com and search for it. Don't buy shit off of eBay, they are more expensive most of the time and if you need to return it, it becomes a problem. I buy all my RAM from newegg and have never had a problem, and you can usually find good deals. And if you ever do have to return something it's not a problem.

Nittany Lion
    Nittany Lion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 675

For Windows, you should have at least 2GB of memory.

blackbeSSt

Quote Originally Posted by Nittany Lion View Post
    For Windows, you should have at least 2GB of memory.
    not entirely true. if all he is doing it messing around on sbr/internet, 512 would suffice. anything else program wise, then yeah i'd bump it up.

UZI Suicide
    semper in excretum
    UZI Suicide's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7693

RAM is cheap these days so it's always a good idea to max out your pc with as much RAM as it'll take, or can be used.

If you're running a 32 bit system of windows, 3GB is as much as the system will recognize. Anything over 3GB is a waste. If you want more than 3GB of RAM, get a 64 bit system.