jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Restaurant Bans Kids Under Six Years Old.

A PENNSYLVANIA restaurant has ignited a local controversy after banning children under the age of six.

"This is not a kid-oriented place," said Mike Vuick, owner of McDain's, a restaurant and driving range in Monroeville, 22km east of Pittsburgh. "There are many child-friendly restaurants that are a lot cheaper to go to."

The restaurant sent an email to patrons to inform them of the policy change, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported overnight.

"Beginning July 16, 2011 McDain's Restaurant will no longer admit children under 6 years of age," it said. "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times they have disturbed other customers."

On its website, McDain's advertises itself as a place for "cocktails and fine casual dining" and calls its atmosphere "upscale, quiet and casual".

The eatery has also never offered a children's menu, and prides itself on having the "World's Greatest Driving Range", according to the website.

"Nothing wrong with babies," said Mr Vuick, "but the fact is you can't control their volume. And there may be restaurants that prefer to cater to such things, not here. I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish and so, therefore, I instituted a policy."

Mr Vuick said he does not expect the policy change to impact his business.

Locals expressed divided opinions about the policy on the Pittsburgh page of Yelp, a business ratings website.

"Part of me thinks this is probably a good idea," wrote Rob, a food blogger. "I think we live in the age of bad parenting, and a lot of parents simply cannot keep their kids under control."

Another poster, Amy, disagreed. "The people with the kids running and screaming at restaurants are the same ones who would answer a loudly ringing cell phone at the table and proceed to chat," she wrote. "It should be a rude-people rule not a kids-under-6 rule."

According to the American Civil Liberties Union, the ban does not violate any anti-discrimination legislation.

.. Good call more places should follow his lead .. I'd rather fly on a "no kids" airline .. or sleep in a "No Kids" hotel ...

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15313

They should ban those little fukers from all places.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    They should ban those little fukers from all places.

jahred6999
    jahred6999's Avatar Become A Pro!

The all star game is so boring!

senseionline
    senseionline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

sbr should implement similar ban too

beermankirk
    beermankirk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 885

Ban them from movie theaters after 7pm as well..... i applaud this establishment.

MoneyM1ke
    MoneyM1ke's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12843

Good move, read that as Mike Vick at first

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

solid move

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

I agree. A lot more business should follow...