TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Do you need a college degree to become successful person in the States ?

and after you graduate find a job and pay off loans ? Or finish high school and start your own business ? Right now I'm starting my 4th year studying CJ

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!
    cant call it's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 455

It would depend on the field you are interested in. There are plenty of ways to make money without a degree. Some people use their back to work. Others use their brains. Some are lucky enough to learn the grounds of business without going to school, its a natural talent they are bred with.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TR88

TR88

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    It would depend on the field you are interested in. There are plenty of ways to make money without a degree. Some people use their back to work. Others use their brains. Some are lucky enough to learn the grounds of business without going to school, its a natural talent they are bred with.
    deoends on the person I'm thinking too, all of us wants to be rich, but everyone using different ways to make money

peacebyinches
    pull the trigger
    peacebyinches's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7802

getting a degree doesn't hurt your chances, thats for sure

saints7011
    saints7011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1898

Im thinking about a dulas clothing business...

something along the lines of affliction/extreme couture...

but a lot less expensive of course...start out at a local flea market...

build it into an empire...sell exclusive to dollar general as my retailer...

dulas

LostBankroll
    who is the bitch in my avy???
    LostBankroll's Avatar Become A Pro!

duelas

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

alot of my friends got degrees and this thing called DEBT....ohh and no job with their degree.

Get into a fukkin trade. Or become a teacher. Other than my friends that went to school for education, none of them have jobs that relate to their degrees.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Depends on your lifestyle, priority and needs and definition of success. I no a 25 year old that owns his own home outright and plan
    to work part time because his expenses are low. He did this making 50k a year for 5 years and saved. I no people who make 100k but choose material things and are in debt.

You can live a great life making 50k a year if your wants arnt over the top. You can also live paycheck to paycheck on 100k.

So define sucess to you first then take the steps to reach that goal. Some of the richest billionaires and wealthy ppl in this country didnt finish college.
    Last edited by UntilTheNDofTimE; 07-12-11 at 03:12 PM.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

Instead of looking at the degree, look at the school's post-grad employment report. They usually post companies, sample position titles, and salaries (sometimes categorized by major). You can simply run your own analysis from that data and make a decision on whether or not the college makes sense.

From my limited observations, undergrad engineering at a top 25 school, undergrad business/econ/international relations at a top 15 school, or any non-film/art/basketweaving degree from a top 10 school is +EV and worth pursing w/ debt.

You can also do the same thing for med/law school admissions; some schools which grad school their students attend after graduation.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

If you are worried about job security get into the food business. I hear alot of people eat that stuff.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

If you're thinking "white collar" type business..........it sure helps. Maybe not so much once you've landed a position within a company, but a degree will improve your chances of getting in the door as well as moving up the ladder. With that being said, I know quite a few dumbshits walking around with degrees.

Going to college isn't just about the degree. It's about the entire experience of 4-5 years away from home and all that comes with it (parties, women, expanding your brain, meeting new & interesting people, creating lifelong friendships, etc.). Looking back, my college years were some of the best times of my life.

TR88

Quote Originally Posted by cant call it View Post
    If you are worried about job security get into the food business. I hear alot of people eat that stuff.
    Very good info so far guys, thanks all, so you are saying open a small restaurant or something similar ? Seems like a good idea to me, been thinking a lot about that in the past year.

cant call it
    BAMA UP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TR88 View Post
    Very good info so far guys, thanks all, so you are saying open a small restaurant or something similar ? Seems like a good idea to me, been thinking a lot about that in the past year.
    The restaurant business is expensive. I like to think food production. My GF is vet student will graduate next year, then will get phd studying large animal production. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum, I am in motorcycle salvage. There is job security there too, as one thing is for sure, companies will keep selling new units, and people will wreck them (see poster itchypickle)
    Too bad I couldnt convince him to get in touch with me on his Honda parts though

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
    Depends on your lifestyle, priority and needs and definition of success. I no a 25 year old that owns his own home outright and plan to work part time because his expenses are low. He did this making 50k a year for 5 years and saved. I no people who make 100k but choose material things and are in debt. You can live a great life making 50k a year if your wants arnt over the top. You can also live paycheck to paycheck on 100k. So define sucess to you first then take the steps to reach that goal. Some of the richest billionaires and wealthy ppl in this country didnt finish college.

ALso depends on where you live...Can't live in Chicago off 50K a year. Suburbs, yes, but not in the City. I'm sure it's the same for other big cities.

50K in most suburbs is more than enough.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

1st off, let me say skip the teaching career. Not a good time to get into that field. States are coming after that profession with a vengeance and stripping it down.

2nd, everyone in the world thinks they can run their own business but really have no idea what it takes and how involved it is. It would be a very good idea to work in the field of business you are looking to get into 1st. Get a real idea of what it's about and what it might take and the real take home $$. Use start up money you have no problem losing and ALWAYS give yourself options. You may want to get into another business down the road. Plan on committing all of your being to the business and giving it your all. Always have an open mind.

3rd, I've done a little day trading and have had pretty good success. I think this is a really good way for some.

4th, don't be afraid to work hard no matter what you try. Hard work 1st.....money comes later. Too many people think once they get the education, their hard work is over and it's time to cash checks. They couldn't be more wrong.

GL

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Only thing I'd got to school for now...if I was college age again...is IT or one of the engineering areas. Other than that you're going into a hole by paying tuition rates these days compared to what field you'll be hired into.

If you're currently a CJ major....totally different ladder to climb. You can do well in that field if you put the time in to set yourself up Federally.....won't be 'filthy rich' but will have a good income and awesome benefits.

Good luck

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    ALso depends on where you live...Can't live in Chicago off 50K a year. Suburbs, yes, but not in the City. I'm sure it's the same for other big cities. 50K in most suburbs is more than enough.
    If you own your own home outright you can. Most people when they start working like to buy cars and start spending all there newly found income on material things. Then they decide to get a mortgage and pay there house 3 times over and be in debt for 30 years. Like one of my friends id rather live in a small apartment for 4-5 years and save 35,000 a year, enough money to buy my own house cash. Again you cant buy a house in Chicago for this price but like i said. It depends on what you want/feel you need in life. Id rather never worry about debt or living pay check to paycheck.

Vesuvius
    Vesuvius's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

The answer is no, but it will definitely not hurt to have one...

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    1st off, let me say skip the teaching career. Not a good time to get into that field. States are coming after that profession with a vengeance and stripping it down.

2nd, everyone in the world thinks they can run their own business but really have no idea what it takes and how involved it is. It would be a very good idea to work in the field of business you are looking to get into 1st. Get a real idea of what it's about and what it might take and the real take home $$. Use start up money you have no problem losing and ALWAYS give yourself options. You may want to get into another business down the road. Plan on committing all of your being to the business and giving it your all. Always have an open mind.

3rd, I've done a little day trading and have had pretty good success. I think this is a really good way for some.

4th, don't be afraid to work hard no matter what you try. Hard work 1st.....money comes later. Too many people think once they get the education, their hard work is over and it's time to cash checks. They couldn't be more wrong.

GL
    We worked in free time to build ours while having the income from another career....took a few years but definitely worth it not having to draw on every bit of $$ made at first to live off of....put it right back into the company to let it grow. Definitely a lot of behind the scenes work at every corner.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Don't go to U of Iowa and get a bachelors in Sociology. Trust me.

Do sell weed in college to decrease the number of loans you have to take. Trust me.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this subject. It completely depends what you want to do with your life. I have my BA and MA and in my previous field, I needed it in order to do what I wanted. For what I do now, you don't need any sort of Degree. I told myself when I was in High School that I didn't ever want a Boss and that is the way it has been. I would never work for someone, always myself. I know a few guys that have no education and that are worth millions.. I also know guys that have Degree's up the ass that are struggling and questioned why they even went to School. If you want to be a Teacher, Dr, Lawyer etc etc you must get one, it will be required. If you settle in your life which you never should you can make it without one. It's all who you know to an "extent" as well. If you don't know anyone and you are settling for a job and just doing the normal daily grind think about this... If you work for Apple, Cisco or any place like that, hell even a Macy's... If you started 10 years ago and still working the job and you are a very good employee and they have nothing but great things to say about you... but all you have is a High School Diploma, you will get passed up 9 out of 10 times with someone that probably does a much worse job than you but they have that piece of paper. Doesn't always make sense but it's the way it is. Not all the time but most...

Sdotbold
    Update your status
    Sdotbold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 148

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post

GL

"The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price."
    -- Vince Lombardi
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: I/O

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

No college degree then you are a hippie. Hippies deserve to be beaten

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope

UntilTheNDofTimE

Quote Originally Posted by mighty maron View Post
    No college degree then you are a hippie. Hippies deserve to be beaten
    Yes Tell Michael Dell, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill gates, Sean Combs and Jay Z that. The former are all billionaires the latter will be billionaires in 5-10.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Quote Originally Posted by TR88 View Post
    and after you graduate find a job and pay off loans ? Or finish high school and start your own business ? Right now I'm starting my 4th year studying CJ
    sounds like you are already in college. Whatever your career choice is now, it will probably change a couple of times during your working life. Learn a second language and become good at it. That is the only advice I give to young people.

onizuka
    onizuka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2533

In the US 100% yes, absolutely. But not in other country.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Even though you might get a good salary job that doesn't really relate to your degree....they would only hire you because you had a degree.

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by onizuka View Post
    In the US 100% yes, absolutely. But not in other country.

That is not true. You don't need to go to college but its going to be a hell of a lot harder now a days.
    Also it depends on what is your definition of succesful, is it middle class. 20+ an hour. What is it?
    I am working as a free intern for my citys transportation department, basically doing a little bit of everything, accounting, time cards, basic office stuff, now working on federal audit for them.
    Anyways, the Bus Drivers there, are all unioinez, and get paid 22 an hour. They have great benefits get one week of vacation days, and one week 'sick' time. Also get a hell of a pension.
    Is that being succesful?
    Is being a truck driver successful, you are still bringing in good money around 40-50k.
    Then you look at starting up your own business which probably is your route if you want to get your income above just the average man's. Theres a lot of different options there, and you definitely don't need any college degree for it.

Obviously if you want employment as a lawayer, doctor, vet, finical adviser, accountant, you need a college degree.

But I would never say you 'need' it. It depends on how motivated you are to make your life successful, if you want to open up your own business go do it. You can't be waiting around hoping that something comes around, or bitching about shit.

For me, a degree is a must. But that is me. I want to work in Finance, so obviously I am not going to be hired without a college degree majoring in Finance, ( I am majoring in Finance and Accounting minor in International Economics)

Its all up to you, the 'American Dream' is definitely not dead, you just have to find a niche find something people want and need, and do it
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: cant call it