freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6501

Do you brush your dogs teeth?

My dog is 2 and I have yet to brush his teeth. His back molars look pretty nasty. Just attempted to brush his teeth for the first time with horrible results. Is there an alternative or easier way?

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

no, but if I rub his belly my dog brushes mine

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida
    StraitShooter's Avatar Become A Pro!

honestly..if its really really bad..Id suggest a trip to the vet for a cleaning..the best way is daily prevention..no..no..dont brush your dogs teeth..but give them plenty of crunchy treats and milk bones..plenty of fresh water and little or no candy

do not ever..under any circumstances give your dog bones from dead animals..absolutely no bones cow or chicken

no bones are safe..especially those that fragment..you risk a intestinal punture or clog with eaqch time you give your dog a bone

yeah they love em..but under no circumstances any bones

chicken bones?..may as well give your dog a crushed up bottle of pepsi

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Quote Originally Posted by freeVICK View Post
    My dog is 2 and I have yet to brush his teeth. His back molars look pretty nasty. Just attempted to brush his teeth for the first time with horrible results. Is there an alternative or easier way?
    Ive heard its nothing but a pain in the ass. Apparently most dogs get sedated for teeth cleaning because they wont let anyone in their mouth. My gf and I tried to brush her dogs teeth and he hated it, wouldnt stay still and got pissed and snapped at her.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6501

Believe me I've tried those dental treats and "greenies" but my dog is so picky he will not touch them. Fck the vet. Don't even wanna know what those crooks will charge to clean my dogs teeth

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

Quote Originally Posted by freeVICK View Post
    Believe me I've tried those dental treats and "greenies" but my dog is so picky he will not touch them. Fck the vet. Don't even wanna know what those crooks will charge to clean my dogs teeth
    hah, what kind of dog do you have? Sounds like my gf dog....son of a bitch will only eat certain treats and food.

Gardfather
    Gardfather's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dogs don't live long enough to worry about their teeth, unless you're giving them candy or some other weird shit to eat.

If they need to ever be sedated for medical treatment in the future, have the teeth cleaned then. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about their teeth. If humans only lived 10-15 years, we wouldn't have to worry about brushing our teeth and getting cavities filled.

senseionline
    senseionline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

i got 2 homeless dogs hanging around my front door dont know what is the deal with them but they r friendly could be abandon by owner

pedro803
    pedro803's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5708

I just try to make sure my dogs eats some crunchy dog food -- I do feed some table scraps, but I make sure that I am keeping the volume on that low enough to where they eat some dog food too -- partly for their teeth, and partly just to make sure I am not overdoing it with the table scraps -- as you can tell my dogs are spoiled

Balco10
    Balco10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

The average vet charges roughy around $350.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by StraitShooter View Post
    do not ever..under any circumstances give your dog bones from dead animals..absolutely no bones cow or chicken

no bones are safe..especially those that fragment..you risk a intestinal punture or clog with eaqch time you give your dog a bone

chicken bones?..may as well give your dog a crushed up bottle of pepsi
    Never give your dog COOKED chicken bones. Raw bones are just fine. In fact, if you give your dog raw bones, you should never have to be concerned with his teeth.

mrtomk
    mrtomk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 771

Only before I make out with it

chargers4222
    chargers4222's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8926

you know what they say....you can brush your teeth and you can brush your dog, but you cant brush your dog's teeth

pedro803

Quote Originally Posted by mrtomk View Post
    Only before I make out with it

I notice you wrote it rather than her or him -- is there something about your sexual preference you are trying to hide?

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

My wife (mostly) and I brush our dog's teeth a few times a week; we've been doing this since it was a puppy, so the resistance is minimal.

Cabo
    Cabo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22747

My dog likes getting his teeth brushed, he likes the tooth paste. Try to brush them 2 times a month.

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Yeah, you should def brush those puppies. It sounds like he should see a dentist for a pro job. I'd recommend once or twice a month, that'd make you a somewhat responsible pet owner.

StraitShooter
    Miami Florida

Quote Originally Posted by senseionline View Post
    i got 2 homeless dogs hanging around my front door dont know what is the deal with them but they r friendly could be abandon by owner
    feed em..giv em love..15 years and a heartbreak at the end later..they will be gone

raggman
    raggman's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes we do but it's a small house dog.
    actually very good for the dog's overall health.

jahred6999
    jahred6999's Avatar Become A Pro!

Did I already get my betpoints for the day?

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

have to get it done by the vet

its pretty expensive

my dog is 15 and just had it done on monday

i hated doing it because he had to be put to sleep and when they are that age its not the greatest thing to do but he came out of it ok

Stealinhome
    Stealinhome's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

It's very hard to clean a dogs teeth unless you start when they are puppies. If you start early it's all they know. If you feed you dog a good dry food and no wet, and or table scraps, the dogs teeth will be just fine.

Lion4Life
    Lion4Life's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, he puts up a fight just trying to cut his nails. Had it done at the vet two years ago, he's ten now. Should be done at least once during your dogs life time.

pedro803

Quote Originally Posted by jahred6999 View Post
    Did I already get my betpoints for the day?

at the top right of any page on the forum you will find your current point total underlined -- it says

My Points: 142

or something like that -- if you click on it, it will show a log of when you got all your points and when you spent all your points

so if ever in doubt about whether you have already gotten your points for today, you can just click on that link and it will show how many points you have accumulated today!

greenfieldtwo
    greenfieldtwo's Avatar Become A Pro!

No, i don't. I dont have a dog. and i want to have one.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I use to try but he's a pain in the ass about it for me. It was my sisters dog and she did it at least once a week when she had him. His teeth are terrible now, had them done by the vet a couple years ago and definitely need to do them again but I think they may be too far gone already.

shermanator
    shermanator's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2973

my dog doesnt brush his teeth.

senseionline
    senseionline's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1970

Quote Originally Posted by StraitShooter View Post
    feed em..giv em love..15 years and a heartbreak at the end later..they will be gone
    that is so true.

I already got my handful with my own pet... poor dogs it been 3 days and they still wondering in my front door

babyjesus
    Up with hope, Down with dope
    babyjesus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

Quote Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
    my dog doesnt brush his teeth.
    LOL

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Mix some toothpaste with his chow.

spartangreen
    spartangreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 479

feed him some apples they are good for cleaning a dogs teeth

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

.. our dogs are 10 and 9 - we had their teeth done for the first time earlier this year ... cost around $200 per dog to have it done ... the one that eats "dry" dog food didn't have much wrong with her teeth .. the one that eats nothing but canned food had "significant wearing" .. go figure ...

Probably won't put them through it again to be honest .. they were both pitiful when they came home .. took hours for the anesthetic to wear off properly.

onizuka
    onizuka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2533

I did brush my dog teeth when it's still puppy, but now not do that again, too difficult to handle.

12 Last