View Poll Results: Hollywood, dead or not?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep, last good movie was fukkin E.T.

13 81.25%
  • No, I can't wait to spend $50 on Mr Poppers Penguins

3 18.75%
    statnerds
    Put me in coach
    statnerds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Is Hollywood finally dead?

If it wasn't bad enough seeing previews for the Green Lantern and Mr Poppers Penguins (who gave the green light to that piece of shit?) I just saw a preview for Footloose...motherfukking Footloose...not changed up at all either, but the same recycled bullshit...wtf Hollywood? how much crap can you crank out for addle minded Americans?

Can anyone on this board seriously tell me you are ready to drop $30 or more to see any of the chum coming out of this non-creative cesspool? Everything is a sequel, a remake or a fukkin comic book...come the fukk on!!!!

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

After the Karate Kid remake I knew they had officially run out of ideas. They could have at least named it 'The Kung Fu Kid' or some shit.

Eleven
    Eleven's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im sure theres some good writers out there, they just dont wanna pay them.

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Who's paying $30 a movie? And they're still making money so Hollywood is not dead.

statnerds
    Put me in coach

Quote Originally Posted by LordVodka View Post
    Who's paying $30 a movie? And they're still making money so Hollywood is not dead.
    Dude, I live in Pittsburgh, hardly known for being an expensive place to live. But for me and my wife and son to go to a movie, it is $24.75 just to get in the door.

And I forgot about that piece of shit Larry Crowne, what dog left that steaming pile?

encephalization
    encephalization's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 182

Haven't thought about it properly but now that you mention it..

It i garbage after garbage, and the movies that actually are good aren't coming from Hollywood.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Just saw X-Men First Class

Awesome movie.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Hollywood is concerned about making good movies the same as McDonalds in concerned about making good food.They are only mass producing to get a quick buck.
    Points Awarded:

SoV gave Cookie Monster 150 SBR Point(s) for this post.

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

There are some good movies being made, but most of them are indie films. My favorite in the last 5 years was Up in the Air with George Clooney. Excellent film.

wquine
    Bet2BLucky
    wquine's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10788

the average person is an idiot. idiots buy tix. hollywood is for profit. what are u missing here?

Marv001
    Marv001's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, there is a lot of sequels and not much original movies anymore.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Rarely go to the movies
    Maybe once in the last 15 years

nikevols
    nikevols's Avatar Become A Pro!

just posting here to get my points

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4627

Looking forward to Transformers: Dark of the Moon. My son and I will be going to see it.

I only go see a select few movies at the Theater. Most of them I just wait to they hit HBO/Stars/Showtime.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Writers are held back. Studios are afraid of originality, so they change good stories into average stuff.

PanamaBrad
    PanamaBrad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 395

Last good thing I saw was Idiocracy. Now that movie has become prophetic.

poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Quote Originally Posted by statnerds View Post
    If it wasn't bad enough seeing previews for the Green Lantern and Mr Poppers Penguins (who gave the green light to that piece of shit?)
    Lols.

The movie industry has been doing about the same the past 15 years: http://www.the-numbers.com/market/ You'd think it blows now due to some combination of getting old and having seen so much, and memory selection bias for past good movies, as people tend to remember the past in a better light than how it actually happened. I probably feel pretty similar to you, in that the good majority of t.v. shows and movies seem to use the same cliche bullshit, but feelings don't necessarily tell the truth.

Edit: there's a bit of interesting data in that link for those into finance or numbers. Superhero movies are apparently a somewhat unknown goldmine.

tat1980
    tat1980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 270

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Rarely go to the movies
    Maybe once in the last 15 years
    JJ, I seen you at the movies last thursday.

tat1980
    tat1980's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 270

Wanted to ask you who wanted to see cars 2 you or jeffrey. Was suprised to see you walk in that movie. Was it good?

Jasonal_98
    Jasonal_98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 237

There are very few movies worth actually going out, paying the prices, and dealing with the idiots in the theater to see. Against my better judgement, I went to see Bad Teacher with some friends yesterday. Paid 10 bucks to see an awful movie and hear the comments of some kids sitting behind me who thought they were funny.

LiarGame
    LiarGame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4153

It's slowly dying and getting worse. There hasn't been a movie I've been excited to see in years.

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Hollywood humor has always puzzled me. Often directed towards the dumbest people. I do not think someone can find funny seeing a dad making "weird" faces when changing pampers to a baby (and getting peed, of course). And that kind of jokes are recycled on lots of movies...
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 06-26-11 at 12:13 AM.

statnerds
    Put me in coach

Quote Originally Posted by wquine View Post
    the average person is an idiot. idiots buy tix. hollywood is for profit. what are u missing here?
    Damn-it you beat me to it. I arrived at that conclusion after my last post in here a few days ago. It is garbage, has been garbage and will continue to be garbage, but the mindless masses suck it up, constantly...

Nearly ever fukkin movie reminds of this

Fish out of water movie...got it.

Boy gets girl, loses girl, makes grand gesture and gets girl back.

So majority of Americans are happy with recycled garbage and have no memory that they have seen this movie before, with different actors and a different title, but they are all the same fukkin movie!!!!

But look at our politicians...the morons elect those fukkers from their own ranks. Americans suck.

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Hollywood humor has always puzzled me. Often directed towards the dumbest people.
    I wouldn't be this cynical--this coming from someone who used to be all about cynical. If you're college-educated or likewise caliber adult, most television shows and movies will seem like they're targeting idiots, but what they're really targeting "average" people in most instances. A generally younger crowd sees movies as well.

alon7777777
    alon7777777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 854

i'll tell if its dead after 8/6/12 thats Prometheus release date

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Hollywood is concerned about making good movies the same as McDonalds in concerned about making good food.They are only mass producing to get a quick buck.
    this. and the lemmings line up to pay too much money for anything that will make a turd, not caring that it has no nutritional value or flavor at all.

poochiecollins

Hold on guys, this upcoming movie looks like a gem:

charlesbroccoli
    charlesbroccoli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5829

Quote Originally Posted by poochiecollins View Post
    Hold on guys, this upcoming movie looks like a gem:
    this movie looks terrible!!

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16297

Hollywood has died the last movie i saw was Sideways and that was what 5 years ago.The problem is Movies are now for Kids and teenagers.Nope sorry im wrong i did see Star Trek with Chris Pine was not bad so that has been it since 2003 i did see Old School at the Theatre so im up to 3 in almost 10 years.But im 48 so they do not care if i im not going.

poochiecollins

Don't miss "How High" (2001) tonight on MTV. "Two stoners get into Harvard University after magic marijuana enables them to ace their tests." -- that plot right there is gold.

305GURU
    305GURU's Avatar Become A Pro!

just saw transf 3 yesterday and it was alright i shoulda known, imo the plot was garbage and it dragged a little and had cheesy lines, i saw it in 3d and wasnt that impressed but thats hollywood, theyre makin tons of loot once again for a not so great movie

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

You are right about Hollywood in general. There are independents out there, you just have to look. Ignore Hollywood's garbage. They are not targeting you anyway.