Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by marinagmendes View Post
    it depends, are you white or are you black? sad but true
    Quote Originally Posted by THE PROFIT View Post
    Just ask a brown american citizen in Arizona what the cops can do with no fukin reason

Sums up the law. If you are black or brown in the wrong part of town, the cops are going to mess with you.

trendon
    trendon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3669

Never speak with them without representation under any circumstances. Ever. You can accidentally incriminate yourself (or others) for a crime without ever telling a lie or admitting to anything. Also, brush up on your state's wire-tapping laws and make sure that you can record a conversation. The key element will be who needs to give consent; if it is only one person, conveniently that means you ... you just can't record others.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    No, they need reasonable suspicion.

See: the Fourth Amendment

You can file a motion to suppress if the cops find any incriminating evidence on you if they search you in violation of the Fourth Amendment.
    Patriot Act supercedes it all

biggamer3
    biggamer3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3802

Cops can ask you for id and if u are a smart ass they will hit you with obstruction of justice charges

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    Sums up the law. If you are black or brown in the wrong part of town, the cops are going to mess with you.
    The US Govt has made a concerted effort to provide brown and black people with as many free govt benefits as possible to encourage mass pro-creation. Brown and black people are also the first option for most govt benefits, scholarships, job assistance, and access to the all powerful "racism card"

Almost every low entry job is given to a brown or black person and now white people cant even be a sports announcer or head coach without a cry about racism. You cant even understand what the pregame show hosts are saying anymore
    Last edited by BookiesBernanke; 07-20-11 at 09:32 AM.

4TH AND STUPID
    best NFL capper at SBR
    4TH AND STUPID's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1990

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Every time I see you post it brings a smile to my face. I am so happy you finally made the decision to stop getting locked up. It does nothing but bring heart ache to your family and your loving girlfriend that has stuck by you time and time again during your time locked up. It might of taken you a while to realize it but you know that life is very good on the outside and you are a contributing member to society now. Nice to have you back Topper!

Next time, on the MAURY show.... freinds bask over glory of once misgued street thug , who now resides a changed man at a gambling forum.

freelee
    Update your status
    freelee's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

cops do whatever they want

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Depends on your state really. Most likely yes as the articulable standard for reasonable suspicion is low. Here in ny state we even have a lower standard for what is called a stop and frisk... saw someone getting one in the subway the other day... wanted to help him out with advice but that would make me his attorney... don't want that hahah.

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Just remember that there are still some good guys out there who are truly serving the public.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 972

Brotherhood of Blue.

dochall2u
    Update your status
    dochall2u's Avatar Become A Pro!

they can do about what they want whether you agree with it not.Most of the time they have a reason i would guess.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post
    Can cops just stop you while your walking on the street and start harassing you, asking for ID and all this info without any evidence/suspicious activity?

What if I refuse to speak the cops, say that I only talk to cops with my lawyer present, is that legal?
    All a cop needs to do is say he could smell marijuana on you, saw you smoking pot, you were acting intoxicated, or whatever other bullshit they like... question you a bit on the street, then when your hard ass decides to not cooperate, you end up down at the station, in the drunk tank.

My best advice with cops, especially if you want your day/night to continue the way it was... just suck it up for the 10-15 mins they are going to bother you, be respectful and friendly...try to be honest if you can... and everything will be fine..... be a show-off tough guy and see where that gets ya

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2163

You can walk right by a cop here smoking weed and they won't say a thing... Hell on Eddy St, you see guys leaning up against a cop car smoking weed or drinking a beer... they don't do shit.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    Yes If you don't have a valid id you can be detained. Once detained, you can be "lost in the system" for days. Reasonable suspicion is as easy to create as anything. That's the way it is. Get over it or move to another country.
    Days = 72 hours.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by trendon View Post
    Also, brush up on your state's wire-tapping laws and make sure that you can record a conversation. The key element will be who needs to give consent; if it is only one person, conveniently that means you ... you just can't record others.
    You are interpreting that incorrectly. I won't argue it here. Just find a source (there are thousands) that talks about one-party and two-party consent for recording, and you will see that you can record others in a one-party state.

Dad
    2011 Adult Entertainer of the Year
    Dad's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1086

You shut your whore mouth!

Dad

THEGREAT30
    A man in need is a man exposed
    THEGREAT30's Avatar Become A Pro!

Yes, they can also **** your daughter and your wife in your face if you are not man enough to whoop there ass or blow there heads off and take a chance at the death penalty or a long prison sentence. America is too infested with cops and unnecessary laws you gotta be a man sometimes and do whats good for you.

Dad

[X] Unlawful Arrest and Detention (U.S. and Minn. Constitutions)
    [X] No Miranda (Miranda vs. Arizona, Berghuis v. Thompkins)
    [X] Felony Contact and Non-Issuance with a Minor (Minnesota law mandates arresting jurisdiction MUST immediately notify parent/guardian and arrested subject is granted "two completed phone calls to parent/guardian and lawyer" Minn stat. 629.73, im num)

Will Officer Friendly face felony charges?

Yeah.................................... ................right.

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

They DO NOT need a reason to stop you... they are allowed to ask you for ID and ask a few questions. If it isn't going anywhere, be polite but assertive and simply ask if you are being detained or arrested and if you aren't, state that you'd like to be on your way. If you haven't done anything wrong then you should be happy to know that police are trying to keep you safe.

BrickmanDE98
    BrickmanDE98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

i suggest you to be cooperate cops and let you go in sec than lead to beat ur ass up like other thread San francisco got shot his ass to bleed dead. Simple do what cops dirty work and let you go fast. if i am in your shoe then i will do what they do. are you avoid cops because u have any possession of Ak47? or drugs if not then just do it man peace

Dad

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    They DO NOT need a reason to stop you... they are allowed to ask you for ID and ask a few questions. If it isn't going anywhere, be polite but assertive and simply ask if you are being detained or arrested and if you aren't, state that you'd like to be on your way. If you haven't done anything wrong then you should be happy to know that police are trying to keep you safe.
    Sure, they are allowed to ask you anything they want. But you are not required to show them id. Not unless you are driving.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

Quote Originally Posted by dj_destroyer View Post
    Are you sure about any of this? What ID are you talking about? While I do Agree that cooperating is a good idea generally, I would not agree with anything else here .

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

it depends on state law if you have to provide identification are not.

i live in a rural area. at night i run at a middle school, generally between 10 pm and 11:30. on occasion the cops drive by, most of the time they run my license plate or see me running and dive on. on two occasions cops have stopped me. the first time i answered his questions but still gave him a hard time because it was clear what i was doing based on what i was wearing and the fact it is an area where people are know to go for exercise.

now i don't practice criminal law but am a lawyer, but couldn't remember the standard he needed to question me, so i did my legal research. the next time they stopped me was a few nights ago. i told the cop they don't have reasonable suspicion to question me, they get pissed because i know the law and the fact i am a lawyer. i told them, i am wearing athletic shorts, tennis shoes, sweating, listening to baseball today on headphones in an area known where people exercise. me only doing it at night is not enough based on the whole of the evidence a rational and reasonable person would know exactly what i was doing. they get pissed and ask for ID and threaten to take me to jail if i refuse it. well again i am not well versed in criminal law so i obliged. that night i looked up that in my state i don't have to provide ID unless it is after i am arrested, so i have a plan next time which i will get to in a minute.

lastly after the officer ran my name and found i had no warrants, they "suggested" i leave and how it would be in my best interest, which i gave a laugh to and asked if they are making some kind of veiled threat. the officer replied that if any damage was done to the school i would be the prime suspect. i responded by saying if any damage is done to the school it would be because you came back to do it. they had no response and left me to continue my run. i am a 30 year old guy, never been in legal trouble, so for them to suggest i would all of a sudden start vandalizing a school was pretty funny. the school also has several surveillance cameras.

so i have taken to writing a legal memo which i will present to the cop upon the next stop stating what i have mentioned above about the evidence they lack to make a reasonable suspicions stop, also, using the letter i have presented to them as further evidence since it is clear the letter took premeditation showing i run here often and there no crime has yet to be committed. the memo will quote the statute where ID must be presented and the requirements are not met. However, i go on to say if they wish to speak with me,i will do so but since it is not reasonable suspicion they will be deemed to do so in a personal capacity where i will charge them for legal services and since it is after 10 my rate will be considerable higher as it is not during normal business hours. (side note: a contract needs an offer, acceptance, and consideration. the legal question here would be them accepting the terms of the contract, but a person can accept the terms by performance, which in this case would be asking me questions). Lastly, the letter says it is the property of the runner and must be returned after reading, failure to do so will be considered taking on my legal services via the time spent writing the memo and the officer will be charged for the necessary writing and research of the memo.

man this is tl;dr.

bb_skoots
    bb_skoots's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 389

^^^ good to know a real lawyers opinion. Not going to pay for it. lol

xlilsp1keyx
    xlilsp1keyx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 115

cops can do whatever they want. they can stop you on the street for looking suspicious. or any excuse they can find.

simona
    simona's Avatar Become A Pro!

oh yes... Sometimes they stop me for no reason...

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

If you are black, yes.

doylfish
    doylfish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9799

Quote Originally Posted by antifoil View Post
    it depends on state law if you have to provide identification are not.

i live in a rural area. at night i run at a middle school, generally between 10 pm and 11:30. on occasion the cops drive by, most of the time they run my license plate or see me running and dive on. on two occasions cops have stopped me. the first time i answered his questions but still gave him a hard time because it was clear what i was doing based on what i was wearing and the fact it is an area where people are know to go for exercise.

now i don't practice criminal law but am a lawyer, but couldn't remember the standard he needed to question me, so i did my legal research. the next time they stopped me was a few nights ago. i told the cop they don't have reasonable suspicion to question me, they get pissed because i know the law and the fact i am a lawyer. i told them, i am wearing athletic shorts, tennis shoes, sweating, listening to baseball today on headphones in an area known where people exercise. me only doing it at night is not enough based on the whole of the evidence a rational and reasonable person would know exactly what i was doing. they get pissed and ask for ID and threaten to take me to jail if i refuse it. well again i am not well versed in criminal law so i obliged. that night i looked up that in my state i don't have to provide ID unless it is after i am arrested, so i have a plan next time which i will get to in a minute.

lastly after the officer ran my name and found i had no warrants, they "suggested" i leave and how it would be in my best interest, which i gave a laugh to and asked if they are making some kind of veiled threat. the officer replied that if any damage was done to the school i would be the prime suspect. i responded by saying if any damage is done to the school it would be because you came back to do it. they had no response and left me to continue my run. i am a 30 year old guy, never been in legal trouble, so for them to suggest i would all of a sudden start vandalizing a school was pretty funny. the school also has several surveillance cameras.

so i have taken to writing a legal memo which i will present to the cop upon the next stop stating what i have mentioned above about the evidence they lack to make a reasonable suspicions stop, also, using the letter i have presented to them as further evidence since it is clear the letter took premeditation showing i run here often and there no crime has yet to be committed. the memo will quote the statute where ID must be presented and the requirements are not met. However, i go on to say if they wish to speak with me,i will do so but since it is not reasonable suspicion they will be deemed to do so in a personal capacity where i will charge them for legal services and since it is after 10 my rate will be considerable higher as it is not during normal business hours. (side note: a contract needs an offer, acceptance, and consideration. the legal question here would be them accepting the terms of the contract, but a person can accept the terms by performance, which in this case would be asking me questions). Lastly, the letter says it is the property of the runner and must be returned after reading, failure to do so will be considered taking on my legal services via the time spent writing the memo and the officer will be charged for the necessary writing and research of the memo.

man this is tl;dr.

keep us posted in case it happens again, i'd love to see what the reaction is after they read your memo haha

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Antifoil is just begging to show up on the news.

Its nice to know your rights and get all "4th amendment" on the cops. But if they beat the shit out of you, is it really worth it?

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Street justice, I love it...

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post
    Antifoil is just begging to show up on the news.

Its nice to know your rights and get all "4th amendment" on the cops. But if they beat the shit out of you, is it really worth it?

naw cops won't do that kind of stuff to lawyers. they only screw with the uninformed. lawyers will make their life hell if they don't play by the book.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

If you're dong nothing wrong, and are holding nothing illegal.....what does it matter....entertain them and be on your way. But don't get mad if you get caught.....that's about it.

818z_finest
    818z_finest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4846

Quote Originally Posted by starfire View Post
    To me?
    If you are not doing AnyThing Wrong...
    Cops will not Harrass u

unless you one of the five brothers in an all white neighborhood

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

Quote Originally Posted by Grits n' Gravy View Post
    maybe so, but more true if you are white and in the wrong part of town. you are automatically assumed to be a drug seeker or out picking up whores. the whole system sucks, so just stay out of my side of town and I'll stay out of yours.

First 123 Last