crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

anyone do their own maintenance for their cars at home?

i see that mobile 1 synthetic is on sale at costco so thought about buying a few cases and doing the changes myself. caught a mechanic not doing the job that i paid him for so don't really trust them anymore. only caught him cause the oil filter was the same color (different from what the store uses) as before.

so what services can a rookie do: oil changes? tune up? coolant flush?

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

You only have to unscrew one bolt to do an oil change.

Turd Ferguson
    Turd Ferguson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20463

Quote Originally Posted by Emily_Haines View Post
    You only have to unscrew one bolt to do an oil change.
    The tricky part is not spilling the used oil all over your trunk on the way to dump it in the grate at the neighborhood car wash.

bozeman
    bozeman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5145

my dad in law does

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I tried doing an oil change once and it took me about an hour and then was left with the job of disposing the oil. The savings was not that great so now I just pay to get it done.

koz-man
    Medula Oblongata
    koz-man's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11971

pay to get an oil change. Just watch them. disposing of the oil not worth the effort.

AMcBoarder
    AMcBoarder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 133

Quote Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post

The tricky part is not spilling the used oil all over your trunk on the way to dump it in the grate at the neighborhood car wash.
    Pretty funny, but I hope you're kidding.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

air compressor went out in girlfriends car. No air conditioning is not going work in s. florida. They wanted 1300 bucks at the place no one speaks english at to fix it. I bought a air compressor on ebay for 150 bucks with a 1 year warrenty which was 400 cheaper then autozone. I went to my neighbor who speaks no english and gave him 150 dollars. I helped him replace it. It took us about 5 hours. I am not sure i could do it by myself but it saved me 1000 bucks which i lost on miami. All that work for nothing.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Im an ASE certified mechanic

fishmonger
    Very sharp square
    fishmonger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Valvoline has a $25 rebate for buying two 5 quart jugs of synthetic oil. Just look online to get the code for auto zone or advance auto. I don't feel like you really are saving unless you change to synthetic. Get a purolator oil filter and you can get rebates for buying those too. But make sure you buy those on a separate receipt because you have to mail the original receipts to get the rebates. There are also rebates for purolator oil and air filter if you send the rebates together. You can get the purolator rebates off the purolator website. I do a little couponing myself. You welcome.

hunterwrot
    hunterwrot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

i change my oil and my wifes and it is simple. get one of those pans that catch the oil then dump it into the empty bottle of oil. then take that to advanced auto or anyplace like that and they dispose it for free. You can fix most problems with a quick search on google.

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

Doing an Oil Change for my Bmw is probably the easiest since access to the Oil Filter is on top of the engine. Only need to get under the car to let the oil out.

dendimurah
    dendimurah's Avatar Become A Pro!

i dont have a car just a motor cycle. i bring them to the mechanic for a maintenance.