JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

Give me a good example of Irony.

Most of us have heard the song Ironic by Alanis Morissette. The only Irony about that song is that there is absolutely nothing Ironic mentioned in the entire song. The words Irony and Ironic are probably overused by most people including myself. So... give me a true example of Irony... preferably something original. Here's mine:

The United States Government has stolen(assuming they actually did seize the money) OUR money from BetEd in order to "protect" us from losing our money gambling. Isn't it Ironic? Don't you think?

P.S. Please don't make any posts like "only an idiot would have money at BetEd" or any crap like that. I only had a few hundred there myself and I'm really not worried about it to tell you the truth. It's the principle of the thing that bothers me the most. This thread is about examples of Irony not BetEd.

head_strong
    head_strong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

Would you consider it ironic that your example of irony is about BetEd

shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22707

the song is the best exmple. 3yrs ago my local bookie owed me 3gs. day i go collect his place is surrounded by feds. Irony is losing when youve won.

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

Quote Originally Posted by shopbar picks View Post
    the song is the best exmple. 3yrs ago my local bookie owed me 3gs. day i go collect his place is surrounded by feds. Irony is losing when youve won.
    That's not ironic. Not even a little bit. That's just bad luck.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

there are, of course, examples of Irony all over this board.

Several people make posts overly touting a pick the believe is wrong and do overly so and intentionally, Tha_Diesel was a master of this with his baseball picks last year.

As far as the song goes -- many of the situaion could well be ironic in the literary meaning given the proper contexts.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

(D) Senator Wiener finally admitted to taking pictures of his "wiener" and sending them to women he's come across over the last few years through facebook.

I/O

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    (D) Senator Wiener finally admitted to taking pictures of his "wiener" and sending them to women he's come across over the last few years through facebook.
    and horny (D) Nancy Pelosi has called for an investigation!

v1y
    v1y's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

Seat belts while more likely to protect you in the event of an accident than not wearing a seat belt, increase the number of accidents/injuries because people drive more erratically when they believe they will be protected.

Blax0r
    Blax0r's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1512

The US govt's stances on sports betting and financial markets.

Gio21
    Gio21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

I diislike asians but my girlfriend is asian!

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

a girl named Hope that has no chance of being successful in life

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

i know a boy named Hunter that is very fruity and feminine and would not hurt a fly

JimmysEgo
    JimmysEgo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

i've got better things to do.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GAMBLOR777

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

People believing they are cool on the internet but saying "never heard of you guy" in every thread. Just b/c you are retarded and haven't caught that particular person's posts, or you don't understand what they are saying because you are stupid, doesn't mean they aren't right on the subject.

No "names" on SBR would understand what I just typed.

Robust
    Losing
    Robust's Avatar Become A Pro!

As soon as you're born, you're dying!

or:

In the process of living, one continues to die.

Robust

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Don't have an example but you're right. It is overused, I say it something is and then realize that it wasn't truly ironic shortly after.

I/O

LOL!

A bomb-maker was killed by his own device as he tried to give Islamic school pupils a lesson in how to make explosives.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/school-bomb-maker-blows-himself-up

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

------------------------------------------

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3643

Michelle Bachmann is against gay marriage and yet she's married to a guy that is only slightly less gay than Richard Simmons.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by thechaoz View Post
    People believing they are cool on the internet but saying "never heard of you guy" in every thread. Just b/c you are retarded and haven't caught that particular person's posts, or you don't understand what they are saying because you are stupid, doesn't mean they aren't right on the subject.

No "names" on SBR would understand what I just typed.

After what you said, Is it ironic that I've never heard of you?

charlesbroccoli
    charlesbroccoli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5829

Quote Originally Posted by Gio21 View Post
    I diislike asians but my girlfriend is asian!
    haha that is a good example

dendimurah
    dendimurah's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rejecting the things makes them harder to change. Accept it and it changes easier.