texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

black sabbath - sabotage

this seems to get lumped in with their "shitty" ozzy-era albums.

this album fukking kicks so much ass. hole in the sky? sympton of the universe? magalomania? the writ? this shit is awesome. symptom is pretty dark, but the rest is not as much as it is a great hard rock record, which i think why this record seems to be forgotten.

hole in the sky...really? this shit is incredible.

texhooper

pantera covered this song, so i'll add their version too. they did three fukking spot-on sabbath covers in planet caravan, electric funeral and this. worth noting as well. say what you want about phil anselmo, but he really kills this.

i love dio, and think his time with sabbath was one of their proudest moments, but when he sang the older ozzy songs they were not good at all. phil absolutely crushes this. but the original, of course, is better.

texhooper

seriously...this was 1975. this is heavier than almost everything out now masquerading as heavy with their overblown production and terrible vocals.

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hate that entire album. Sabotage cant hold a fukin candle to the savage sounds of their self titled album

texhooper

oh pshaw!! come on dude. i'm not challenging the first record. i don't understand why a record like sabbath bloody sabbath doesn't get met with any vitriol at all when it had so many weak moments. this album rocks man. they fell off after this before they got ronnie in the band.

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with your assessment that Sabbath bloody Sabbath was a pretty weak album. Sabbath part 4 was weak in my opinion as well. I honestly can't get into anything post Master of Reality.

texhooper

those dio albums were awesome. and the heaven and hell record, the devil you know, that shit was evil as hell.

sabbath 4 had snowblind, which is one of my favorite sabbath songs. on the whole the record's not on par with the first three. master of reality, specifically children of the grave and into the void, that is my favorite shit.

but seriously, sabotage is so much better than anything else they did after master of reality. i never really listened to it until recently. and i really really like it. technical ecstacy and never say die, i can understand why those aren't really liked overall. but sabotage is a kick ass rock record through and through.

texhooper

the single am i going insane...it blows. it's the reason i never listened to this record in its entirety.

mike1234
    ??
    mike1234's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17401

I'm in a life stage of searching and listening to Sabbath cover songs - I'm not sure why.

Some kick ass - Iced Earth did a good Black Sabbath cover.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

The Writ is pretty badass.

Anthrax's cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was better than the original. Sabbath always had the tendency to go soft right in the middle of a song. Still my all time favorite band tho'.

COYLO
    COYLO's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7596

thanks tex ive been meaning to download the discography for ages,hole in the sky rocks

bracerman
    bracerman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3404

Agree this album often gets overlooked. It rocks.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    The Writ is pretty badass.

Anthrax's cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was better than the original. Sabbath always had the tendency to go soft right in the middle of a song. Still my all time favorite band tho'.
    i love anthrax, mainly the belladonna era stuff. i like john bush's vocals a lot but i am not huge on their stylistic shift to fit more in with grunge-era bands, or whatever it was they were going for.

anyway, i think it's a great cover but is just a notch below than the original. it's a little too fast, but still top notch. i really like how they handled the "nobody will ever let you go..." part. that part sucks! what the hell were they thinking when they were writing that song?

"hey guys, we just worked out possibly the greatest riff of all time, now let's cut our balls off and see what we can put after it."

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Never get bored of this song. Don't care if people think the album is bad.

sonyman
    sonyman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

i really like to listen to black sabbath music---great rock music

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I have their Black Box set on my iPod, but haven't listened to the albums yet. I've heard the 1st 3 albums many times. Tonight I'll have to partake in Sabotage

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    anyway, i think it's a great cover but is just a notch below than the original. it's a little too fast, but still top notch. i really like how they handled the "nobody will ever let you go..." part. that part sucks! what the hell were they thinking when they were writing that song?

"hey guys, we just worked out possibly the greatest riff of all time, now let's cut our balls off and see what we can put after it."

Sabbra Cadabra is another badass song that gets soft in the middle. They even break out synthesizer I think.

But we just got to look past those momentary lapses because both Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabbra Cadabra are wicked cool songs that scorched the earth when other folks were listening to "Flowers in your hair" type bullshit.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Proffett View Post
    I have their Black Box set on my iPod, but haven't listened to the albums yet. I've heard the 1st 3 albums many times. Tonight I'll have to partake in Sabotage
    awesome man. i listened to it again this morning, which is why i checked this thread again, actually.

one thing also i never mentioned is that ozzy is just in top form on this record. really pushes everything over the top.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Sabbra Cadabra is another badass song that gets soft in the middle. They even break out synthesizer I think.

But we just got to look past those momentary lapses because both Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabbra Cadabra are wicked cool songs that scorched the earth when other folks were listening to "Flowers in your hair" type bullshit.
    yeah, sabbath bloody sabbath was the worst record in regards to badass songs having "wtf?" moments. a national acrobat just destroys for like 3 or 4 minutes then they go into this total fairy ass riff and they jam it on that for awhile, and they kinda end it ok, but you're left thinking, "i just listened to half of a really good song and i'm not sure what the rest was". but yeah, i totally agree with you. at the rate that they were expected to produce music, it's better that they experimented instead of just kept making the same records over and over, and i can deal with the occassional weird moment in otherwise badass songs.

you know, metallica actually did a great version of sabbra cadabra where they cut the fat off that song and they also incorporate the first few parts of a national acrobat in the middle before they go back into sabbra cadabra. if you haven't heard it, check it out. it kinda makes you wish sabbath arranged it this way to begin with.

texhooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Never get bored of this song. Don't care if people think the album is bad.
    people that think any of the ozzy era stuff is bad need to check out some of the early glen hughes and tony martin stuff. holy lord, that shit is terrible. i think the seventh star is the one glen hughes sang on, and he's considered a good singer and has a good resume and all that, and he holds his own, but man, that shit is awful. the eternal idol with tony martin...it makes never say die sound like master of reality.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Sabotage is an absolutely great album!! One of my all time top 10, great call. Sabbra Cadabbra by Metallica is a great tune as well. Have listened to all of the above several times this week. And Megalomania only minutes before reading this thread

Listen to Megalomania if you think Ozzy couldn't sing

texhooper

that's great in megalomania where he goes SUCK ME!!!!

i'm not really sure what he's going for, but it's a great/funny moment.

and dude, like i said earlier, this album might be one of ozzy's best vocal performances of his career. he destroys every song. i omit am i going insane from any comment i make about this album, by the way.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post

people that think any of the ozzy era stuff is bad need to check out some of the early glen hughes and tony martin stuff. holy lord, that shit is terrible. i think the seventh star is the one glen hughes sang on, and he's considered a good singer and has a good resume and all that, and he holds his own, but man, that shit is awful. the eternal idol with tony martin...it makes never say die sound like master of reality.
    The only good thing Glen Hughes that was half way decent was the stuff he did with Deep Purple after Gillan left.

By the way, what are the odds that I hear "Never say die" just now being played on Sirius?