poochiecollins
    poochiecollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 534

Why do experienced airline pilots make way more money?

I've been doing research for a possible career change, one avenue being a pilot. I found out that experienced pilots, at least for major airlines, make way more money than newer pilots, on top of other perks.

I've gathered that pilots start out with a weak income in large part because getting approved to fly by the FAA isn't usually difficult, so there are relatively many pilots and few slots available, driving down income -- this part makes sense. On the other hand, I haven't read anything to suggest that becoming a "good" pilot takes special talent, and the emphasis on seniority agrees with this deduction, so the difference between the top and bottom shouldn't be so great, such as with teaching and accountancy for instance.

Anyone here familiar with the industry know?

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Good Poochy, very good, I hope airlines can give you that extra point

757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Really?

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Ask this guy,

mminkovski
    mminkovski's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17537

What pilot you'd like to fry your plane - with 20-years experience or a newbie?
    Airlines are competing for good pilots, therefore salary goes up

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Ask this guy,
    Andy nailed it

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

lol, cuz they are good and deserved

dr_wolf
    dr_wolf's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19055

this is obvious the more experience you have much money you win this is almost in every job

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    Good Poochy, very good, I hope airlines can give you that extra point
    ??? Anyone know what this guy's on about?

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Ask this guy,
    Oh yay, ad hominem!

Who says a less experienced pilot couldn't have done what he did? And what the **** does pointing out one pilot who handled a dangerous situation have to do with my question? If a cashier disarms a store robber, should we give all cashiers six-figure raises?

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by mminkovski View Post
    What pilot you'd like to fry your plane - with 20-years experience or a newbie? Airlines are competing for good pilots, therefore salary goes up
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_wolf View Post
    this is obvious the more experience you have much money you win this is almost in every job
    Quote Originally Posted by BettingGeek View Post
    lol, cuz they are good and deserved
    Last edited by poochiecollins; 05-13-11 at 12:56 PM.

poochiecollins

Quote Originally Posted by 757sFinest View Post
    Really?
    If your dumb ass bothered to read my entire post, you would've noted where I pointed out seniority as an important factor in the industry (which should lower the gap b/w the top and bottom) and compared the industry to teaching and accounting, which are two fields where people start out making more money and top out at less compared to pilots.

poochiecollins

I'll try to dumb down what I'm asking about, using bullets:

(1) The difference between the top and bottom of pilots in terms of benefits they get seems appreciably greater than that of most other industries.
    (2) Seniority has been decided to be a great factor in pilot pay and perks, which only makes sense if those working at the top of the industry don't think that there are good objective ways to distinguish skill in a pilot. Imagine if athletes in professional sports were paid largely by time they've been in the league instead of their
    (3) Any arbitrary determinant of employee benefits should lower the difference between the top and the bottom. After all, if it's hard to tell the skilled from unskilled people intellectually, how does it make sense to do so financially?
    (4) SO, why the large difference between the wealthiest and poorest pilots?

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

honestly know nothing about the commercial airline industry, but I would imagine the pay scale is determined the same way as many other occupations. An intern or the entry level guy just entering the company will make an entry level salary. A pay scale based on seniority makes sense as it means that the pilot has continued to be a loyal pilot for the company and has very likely kept a clean safety record as pilots with repeated pilot errors won't last very long.

Bartmeister
    Bartmeister's Avatar Become A Pro!

With more and more advanced technology, the planes basically fly themselves. Pilots are there to "babysit" .

Reds_FAN
    Reds_FAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Its simple,

and experienced pilot has the better chance of of making a clean fly with a smooth landing and everything going according to plans,

and an unexperienced one could end up like this

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

Why would any experienced person get paid more money than someone new to the field?

Seems kind of like common sense.

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

Yeh, they should pay them more upfront, and then less as they get older. Like the NFL. You know

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

as others have suggested seniority and *experience*

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

It takes forever and a day to get enough hours to become an airline pilot. Also, you make no money until you actually become an actual airline pilot. A friend of mine who is a licensed pilot told me you make more money as a local flight instructor than you do trying to get enough hours to become an airline pilot with those regional fukks.

JakeLc
    JakeLc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

most regional pilots make less than 20k

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by poochiecollins View Post
    Oh yay, ad hominem!

Who says a less experienced pilot couldn't have done what he did? And what the **** does pointing out one pilot who handled a dangerous situation have to do with my question? If a cashier disarms a store robber, should we give all cashiers six-figure raises?
    That's a terrible analogy. Pilots are responsible for the safety of hundreds of people. I'd pay more to have an experienced pilot on my plane. An inexperienced pilot may have ended up like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgan_Air_Flight_3407

vitalyo
    vitalyo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by JakeLc View Post
    most regional pilots make less than 20k
    Bingo .
    Pinnacle first officer makes between 16-19k a year .
    Trans state airlines is even worst .
    Air Canada is the top airline in north america . Air Canada flight attendant makes more money then most of your pilots up to 80K.
    Before Air Canada consider to hire one of you "losers" . You need at least 3000 fly hours to apply (actual flight time / not the working hours , it will take you around 8 years ). And if your resume says Cogan Air , Ryan Air, Republic, Pinnacle or Trans State don't even bother to apply .
    They know that this guys are losers .
    With KLM ,Lufthansa,Air France AlItalia and many other EU airlines you need to hold European Union passport .
    Man i am not joking . Your American flight attendants are the ugliest in the world , they look like shit , i get an impression your companies hire them directly from the ghetto .It's sad but it's true .
    GL.
    Last edited by vitalyo; 05-14-11 at 11:12 AM.

dabomguy11
    dabomguy11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1633

I'm curious as to what you were expecting. I'd say experience tends to be a decent reason to pay someone more than someone else.

ClimbSomeRocks
    ClimbSomeRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Quote Originally Posted by poochiecollins View Post
    I've been doing research for a possible career change, one avenue being a pilot. I found out that experienced pilots, at least for major airlines, make way more money than newer pilots, on top of other perks.

I've gathered that pilots start out with a weak income in large part because getting approved to fly by the FAA isn't usually difficult, so there are relatively many pilots and few slots available, driving down income -- this part makes sense. On the other hand, I haven't read anything to suggest that becoming a "good" pilot takes special talent, and the emphasis on seniority agrees with this deduction, so the difference between the top and bottom shouldn't be so great, such as with teaching and accountancy for instance.

Anyone here familiar with the industry know?
    I literally today graduated with a degree in Air Traffic Control. My advice on becoming a pilot: don't. I have several friends who took that route. They are all in debt 80k+ and if they are lucky enough to get hired somewhere, will be making under 20k. You need a bare minimum of 500 hours, more like 1500 to get hired. Honestly the only thing that I can see as a good career in commercial aviation would be to fly a jet for a very rich person.

If you have high aptitude, I'd advise checking into ATC. I'm going to be waiting about 18months until I'm hired, but the job and the pay will be well worth it.

Cap dat 4ss
    okst. -13.5
    Cap dat 4ss's Avatar Become A Pro!

Inexperienced pilots make more mistakes and costly decisions. Many times an airlines best asset is it's reputation. It only takes one inexperienced pilot to destroy the publics confidence in a company and not ever fly with them again.

Also, I'm sure their union has something to do with it. Why do posters that have been here for 6 years get 600 pts on their anniversary date when they suck ass as posters and yet I only get 100 pts for my anniversary date and I'm pretty much the life and blood of this place. Just doesn't make sense.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

becuase inexperienced pilots do this:

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

Pussycollins. You seem like an a$$hole. McDonalds might be your best choice.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

to be reponsible you need years of hands on experience