Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

JJGOLD spot on again.....these are troubling times

Some folks are already getting a bit desperate.

Folks who can't afford lamb probably can't afford gas.

The Brits aren't putting machine guns on the sheep pen but continually escallating thefts could push it that way.

Farmer paints sheep orange to prevent rustling
    A farmer painted his entire flock of sheep orange to discourage thieves, after rise in rustling.

10:55PM BST 12 Apr 2011
    John Heard decided desperate measures were needed to stop the raids that were decimating his flocks.

And his solution to the problem has created an eye-catching sensation on his farm after he turned his sheep orange.

The 48-year-old has put his flock of 250 blackface ewes through a harmless dip of orange dye making them so highly visible wary thieves are giving them a wide berth.

Mr Heard, who runs his livestock farm near Okehampton, Devon had lost 200 sheep over the past few years but says the orange dye is working wonders.

He explained:"Sheep rustling has become a big problem with ewes worth around £140 each. My flock roams Dartmoor and I was getting mighty fed-up with losing so many.

"My son James suggested the orange dye and although it produces some strange looking sheep it has done the trick and I haven't lost one this year.

"It works because they are so easy to distinguish making it easier for me and my neighbours to keep a wary eye out for them. Plus the rustlers are obviously nervouse about stealing such easily distinguished animals."

The non-toxic dye does the sheep no harm and they lambing in peace this year, added Mr Hard who is the third generation in his West Country family to run the farm where he also raises cattle.

The dye eventually wears off with no side effects for the animals but has caused bemused reactions from onlookers.

The National Farmer's Union has warned that the financial hardship facing the country has led to a big increase in rural crimes like sheep rustling.

There has been a five-fold increase in sheep thefts this year. A spokeswoman for the NFU Mutual, who insure farmers, said "There has been a sizeable rise in livestock rustling, particularly targeting sheep.

"The price of lamb is so high and in a recession people may be more willing to accept meat from unreliable soruces.

"But stolen sheep tend to be taken to unlicensed abattoirs raising the issue of meat being sold with the normal health checks. If you buy from those sources you obviously cannot be absolutely certain the meat is fit for human consumption.

"In the circumstances orange sheep seem like a very good idea."

Mr Heard got the inspiration for his orange flock after his so told him he knew a farmer in Scotland who had dyed his sheep before an agricultural show.

Mr Heard added:"Other farmers as well as a fair few ramblers have been shocked but others have said they are now willing to try the idea if it works.

"At the moment it is doing exactly what I hoped it would and stopping the rustlers in their tracks.".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-rustling.html

spankie
    Long Live Rodney!
    spankie's Avatar Become A Pro!

uh.

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Some folks are already getting a bit desperate. Folks who can't afford lamb probably can't afford gas. The Brits aren't putting machine guns on the sheep pen but continually escallating thefts could push it that way. **** Farmer paints sheep orange to prevent rustling A farmer painted his entire flock of sheep orange to discourage thieves, after rise in rustling. 10:55PM BST 12 Apr 2011 John Heard decided desperate measures were needed to stop the raids that were decimating his flocks. And his solution to the problem has created an eye-catching sensation on his farm after he turned his sheep orange. The 48-year-old has put his flock of 250 blackface ewes through a harmless dip of orange dye making them so highly visible wary thieves are giving them a wide berth. Mr Heard, who runs his livestock farm near Okehampton, Devon had lost 200 sheep over the past few years but says the orange dye is working wonders. He explained:"Sheep rustling has become a big problem with ewes worth around £140 each. My flock roams Dartmoor and I was getting mighty fed-up with losing so many. "My son James suggested the orange dye and although it produces some strange looking sheep it has done the trick and I haven't lost one this year. "It works because they are so easy to distinguish making it easier for me and my neighbours to keep a wary eye out for them. Plus the rustlers are obviously nervouse about stealing such easily distinguished animals." The non-toxic dye does the sheep no harm and they lambing in peace this year, added Mr Hard who is the third generation in his West Country family to run the farm where he also raises cattle. The dye eventually wears off with no side effects for the animals but has caused bemused reactions from onlookers. The National Farmer's Union has warned that the financial hardship facing the country has led to a big increase in rural crimes like sheep rustling. There has been a five-fold increase in sheep thefts this year. A spokeswoman for the NFU Mutual, who insure farmers, said "There has been a sizeable rise in livestock rustling, particularly targeting sheep. "The price of lamb is so high and in a recession people may be more willing to accept meat from unreliable soruces. "But stolen sheep tend to be taken to unlicensed abattoirs raising the issue of meat being sold with the normal health checks. If you buy from those sources you obviously cannot be absolutely certain the meat is fit for human consumption. "In the circumstances orange sheep seem like a very good idea." Mr Heard got the inspiration for his orange flock after his so told him he knew a farmer in Scotland who had dyed his sheep before an agricultural show. Mr Heard added:"Other farmers as well as a fair few ramblers have been shocked but others have said they are now willing to try the idea if it works. "At the moment it is doing exactly what I hoped it would and stopping the rustlers in their tracks.". http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-rustling.html
    Never fukkin heard of ya pal.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

suck off time.

paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7051

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

So a British farmer paints his sheep Orange, and Fish translates that into the world as we know it ending.

There are times when I am convinced JJ and Fish drink and post 24/7.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: shari91, Full Time Hobo, and opie1988

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    So a British farmer paints his sheep Orange, and Fish translates that into the world as we know it ending.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

epic fail

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Fishheads threads

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Let's keep one eye on rising meat prices and one eye on our favorite line service moving forward.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    Let's keep one eye on rising meat prices and one eye on our favorite line service moving forward.
    ALL prices are rising