chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Sobriety is boring

Anybody else ever feel this way? I'm not strictly referring to a "drug"-induced altered reality. You can alter your reality in several different ways. Consuming a plant is just the easiest way to do so. But regardless, sometimes I just feel like sobriety is just so boring. Shouldn't life always feel good? Is there some reason that "God" decided otherwise?

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

100% agree.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Bo$$ Bet$
    Bo$$ Bet$'s Avatar Become A Pro!

^yup^ fukk sobriety I been fukked up hmmm many many years now

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

100 percent disagree, been sober for almost 8 months now and although I would have agreed with you in the past, after about a month or so in to being sober I realized life is so much better when living it clean free. You realize all those hours that you spent on drinking, drugs, etc. can be put to use on so many more positive things: family, health, friends, etc.
    Points Awarded:

Gonad gave iceminers26 25 SBR Point(s) for this post.

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by iceminers26 View Post
    100 percent disagree, been sober for almost 8 months now and although I would have agreed with you in the past, after about a month or so in to being sober I realized life is so much better when living it clean free. You realize all those hours that you spent on drinking, drugs, etc. can be put to use on so many more positive things: family, health, friends, etc.
    Perhaps you missed the point of my post then? I did say that I was not strictly referring to a drug-induced altered reality. You can meditate and hit it. You can go for a long run and hit. Hit the gym and lift weights and hit it. Have an orgasm and hit it. It's all just dopamine.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

what plant?

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    what plant?
    Practically every medicine that we know of comes from a plant. Aspirin comes from the bark of a tree. Ecstasy comes from the same plant that gives us root beer.

iceminers26

Quote Originally Posted by chilidog View Post
    Perhaps you missed the point of my post then? I did say that I was not strictly referring to a drug-induced altered reality. You can meditate and hit it. You can go for a long run and hit. Hit the gym and lift weights and hit it. Have an orgasm and hit it. It's all just dopamine.
    My appologies, should have read initial post in depth. I agree, just take one of your examples, I love the high from a good run, bike, workout, etc.

stefan084
    stefan084's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 601

Practically every medicine that we know of comes from a plant. Aspirin comes from the bark of a tree. Ecstasy comes from the same plant that gives us root beer.
    yes i know i was just wondering which one you liked best

chilidog

My appologies, should have read initial post in depth. I agree, just take one of your examples, I love the high from a good run, bike, workout, etc.
    I completely agree. The runner's high is awesome. I just don't know why we can't feel like that all the time. It's like the downtime between those highs is just boring - once you've experienced those extreme surges of dopamine, the rest just seems like a waste of time.

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Sobriety is boring, but constant drunken behavior is a lot worse. Been on both ends of the spectrum. I prefer sobriety.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

13th step is the best one

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by stefan084 View Post
    yes i know i was just wondering which one you liked best
    Ahh okay. Then my all-time favorite would be a certain type of fungi (ergot) that grows on a certain type of grass (rye).

iceminers26

I completely agree. The runner's high is awesome. I just don't know why we can't feel like that all the time. It's like the downtime between those highs is just boring - once you've experienced those extreme surges of dopamine, the rest just seems like a waste of time.
    I agree, love the high/feeling during and after a good workout than the feeling of eating a good meal following the workout but then after it just fades away and we carry on with normal life. Your points, boredom and such after experiencing such a high, are good reasons why several battle addiction problems (doesn't have to be drug related) because they need that high from everyday boring life.

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by Casperwaits View Post
    Sobriety is boring, but constant drunken behavior is a lot worse. Been on both ends of the spectrum. I prefer sobriety.

Nobody said anything about constant drunken behavior. Read my post again.

iceminers26

I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to running now, I know its not good to be addicted to anything too much but I look at is as being far better than being addicted to booze or drugs.

thx Nader

chilidog

I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to running now, I know its not good to be addicted to anything too much but I look at is as being far better than being addicted to booze or drugs.

thx Nader
    Yah, I have to admit that I'm addicted to the same thing. I had to give up running though (shin splints and knee problems), but I get the same feeling from cycling and lifting weights. It's just this amazing feeling. I just wonder why we can't feel like that all the time. Hence my original post "sobriety sucks"

Rod1010
    Rod1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

addicted to squats now.

Running too . Great feeling

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

It's because you are dead in sin and need to be made alive in Christ. Harsh but true. I felt the same way not too long ago.

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    It's because you are dead in sin and need to be made alive in Christ. Harsh but true. I felt the same way not too long ago.
    LOL. Okay, let's say that your statement holds merit. Even then, your exuberance in this deity that you speak of causes your brain to release dopamine, the "feel-good" chemical that floods the pleasure/reward center of your brain. So, whether you use Christ, cocaine, running, masturbation, or Frosted Flakes, it's all just dopamine, my man. So, back to my original post...

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

LOL. Okay, let's say that your statement holds merit. Even then, your exuberance in this deity that you speak of causes your brain to release dopamine, the "feel-good" chemical that floods the pleasure/reward center of your brain. So, whether you use Christ, cocaine, running, masturbation, or Frosted Flakes, it's all just dopamine, my man. So, back to my original post...
    No, it's not really the same. I don't "feel" any better but have different perspective on life.

iceminers26

Note to self: don't get into any religious wars with Albert Pujols

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Well to defend Mr. Pujols, his "addiction" is centered on loving others....the one's you cited are related to "loving" yourself.

chilidog

No, it's not really the same. I don't "feel" any better but have different perspective on life.
    So then you feel worse since giving your life to Christ?

Regardless, your mention of deities is irrelevant to my thread. Head on over to god.com for discussions of such trivial things.

Casperwaits
    West Side Story
    Casperwaits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

I read the thread. You can get "drunk" off of plants, drugs and or alcohol. I saw the metaphysical question posed in your thread, and I am saying that as boring as sobriety is, it still is a better alternative to running away from reality.

iceminers26

I agree with this. For the longest time I blamed God and others because it took me forever to find a real job because I got a DUI in 2007. Didn't matter I had my MBA, volunteered numerous times at H4H and other orgs., etc. once employers ran the criminal check I was done in. I cursed pretty much God and all mankind because we preach second chances and such but it was all BS. Then I finally started thinking positive and gave the man upstairs a chance by going to church a few times, about a month went by of this and then finally I locked down a full time job.

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    Well to defend Mr. Pujols, his "addiction" is centered on loving others....the one's you cited are related to "loving" yourself.
    Perhaps, but regardless whom you direct your love to (yourself or others), it will still chemically trigger the release of dopamine. So again, back to my first post ... why can't life always be like this? It doesn't matter what triggers the release of it. Whether it's God, chocolate, laughing like crazy, getting a raise, giving yourself a pat on the back, getting a massage, winning a trip to Costa Rica, whatever it is, the method doesn't matter.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

You need yayo and Molly to complete your life and be happy.

Extra Innings

So then you feel worse since giving your life to Christ?

Regardless, your mention of deities is irrelevant to my thread. Head on over to god.com for discussions of such trivial things.
    For many and NOT all, getting control over an addiction relates on surrendering many of our narcissistic tendencies. For many, groups like AA promote this transformation. Replacing the bottle or drug with meaningful relationships (often those with God or a "higher power").

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Quote Originally Posted by minet123 View Post
    13th step is the best one
    Minet, bust out the carga!

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by Casperwaits View Post
    I read the thread. You can get "drunk" off of plants, drugs and or alcohol. I saw the metaphysical question posed in your thread, and I am saying that as boring as sobriety is, it still is a better alternative to running away from reality.
    Okay, forget about intoxication. Forget about plants, drugs, and alcohol. Just ignore those. Let's fixate on something else. Let's go with meditation. Or how about a nice relaxing deep-tissue massage. Hell, I don't care what method of delivery that you use to release the dopamine.

I agree with this. For the longest time I blamed God and others because it took me forever to find a real job because I got a DUI in 2007. Didn't matter I had my MBA, volunteered numerous times at H4H and other orgs., etc. once employers ran the criminal check I was done in. I cursed pretty much God and all mankind because we preach second chances and such but it was all BS. Then I finally started thinking positive and gave the man upstairs a chance by going to church a few times, about a month went by of this and then finally I locked down a full time job.
    Very awesome that you got everything in check - congrats

Extra Innings

Perhaps, but regardless whom you direct your love to (yourself or others), it will still chemically trigger the release of dopamine. So again, back to my first post ... why can't life always be like this? It doesn't matter what triggers the release of it. Whether it's God, chocolate, laughing like crazy, getting a raise, giving yourself a pat on the back, getting a massage, winning a trip to Costa Rica, whatever it is, the method doesn't matter.
    True. To each their own. I just see drugs and alcohol as a way to attempt to falsely fill in the relational gap that many suffer from (including myself). It's a false way to momentarily say "I got my shit together"....it becomes a problem when you can't function without it.

chilidog

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    You need yayo and Molly to complete your life and be happy.
    haha, you're a good man, illini; can't wait to party with yah

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Innings View Post
    For many and NOT all, getting control over an addiction relates on surrendering many of our narcissistic tendencies. For many, groups like AA promote this transformation. Replacing the bottle or drug with meaningful relationships (often those with God or a "higher power").
    I do understand your point, but I'm not really talking about addictions, self-control, religion, relationships, God, etc. Perhaps I worded my thread wrong with 'sobriety is boring', since the conventional definition of sobriety does refer to abstaining from alcohol and other drugs.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

excellent. very very happy for you. you certainly sound as though you deserve this positive outcome. Superb post.

Extra Innings

haha, you're a good man, illini; can't wait to party with yah

I do understand your point, but I'm not really talking about addictions, self-control, religion, relationships, God, etc. Perhaps I worded my thread wrong with 'sobriety is boring', since the conventional definition of sobriety does refer to abstaining from alcohol and other drugs.
    So how does this thread affect me You want me to bring an elliptical to the fuckin' bash in August?

123 Last