Bob Loblaw
    Bob Loblaw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2069

Youtube to Itunes converter

Does anybody else have problems with these programs? Every time I do it the song works fine for a day or two but after that there's a little explanation point that comes up when I click on the song and it says the file can not be located. I was actually able to have one song work for a couple months but today it all of a sudden stopped working. I've used a few different programs to convert these songs and same thing happens with every song. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

goofyre
    Cole World.
    goofyre's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

It's cuz you moved the song on your computer. Nothing to do with the converter.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave goofyre 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Iced
    Iced's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Follow the following steps in iTunes:
    1. File
    2. Library
    3. Organize Library
    4. Consolidate files
    5. OK

Hopefully that works.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave Iced 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

Not sure what you mean. One song will play ok one day while one will stop working all of a sudden. I didn't do anything different between the two songs.

All I've done with the song that stopped working today is play it. Why did it play yesterday and not today? I didn't knowingly move it anywhere.

Iced

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    Not sure what you mean. One song will play ok one day while one will stop working all of a sudden. I didn't do anything different between the two songs. All I've done with the song that stopped working today is play it. Why did it play yesterday and not today? I didn't knowingly move it anywhere.
    Did you try my steps? They're pretty straightforward, I don't see how you can not be sure what I mean.

goofyre
    Cole World.

When you download them they prolly go to a download folder. Maybe you computer moves the items in your download folder to another one. Copy them into a music folder and then put them into itunes again.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iced View Post
    Did you try my steps? They're pretty straightforward, I don't see how you can not be sure what I mean.
    I was replying to the poster above you. I'm doing your steps now. Looks like this will take a while. Will I have to do this after every new song I convert?

Iced

I was replying to the poster above you. I'm doing your steps now. Looks like this will take a while. Will I have to do this after every new song I convert?
    No, there is a simpler step you can use with individual songs. The steps I gave are for entire libraries or multiple songs.

For individual songs:
    1. Double-click the song (or single-click the exclamation mark) [it doesn't matter either way]
    2. A pop-up error should appear that reads: "The song could not be used because the original file could not be found." It should offer you the option to find the file, choose that.
    3. Browse through your hard drive until you locate the missing song and iTunes adds it back.
    If you've correctly located the song, the exclamation point should disappear and it should play without problem.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by goofyre View Post
    When you download them they prolly go to a download folder. Maybe you computer moves the items in your download folder to another one. Copy them into a music folder and then put them into itunes again.
    I'll try this, thanks.

I made a couple trips to the SBR Store this week so I'm a little short on points. I'll send you both some points somewhere down the line.

reds0x
    reds0x's Avatar Become A Pro!

What I suggest is getting a youtube downloader, one that converts the flv to the mp3/ipod format etc. Then just put it into the place with the rest of your songs, leave it there, dont move it, add to the itunes library. it's probably being moved somewhere, somehow...GL
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave reds0x 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Bob Loblaw

No, there is a simpler step you can use with individual songs. The steps I gave are for entire libraries or multiple songs.

For individual songs:
    1. Double-click the song (or single-click the exclamation mark) [it doesn't matter either way]
    2. A pop-up error should appear that reads: "The song could not be used because the original file could not be found." It should offer you the option to find the file, choose that.
    3. Browse through your hard drive until you locate the missing song and iTunes adds it back.
    If you've correctly located the song, the exclamation point should disappear and it should play without problem.
    I did the consolidate files thing and it didn't fix it. As far as this goes, I can't seem to find the song anywhere. It's not in my music folders. No idea where else it could be.

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by reds0x View Post
    What I suggest is getting a youtube downloader, one that converts the flv to the mp3/ipod format etc. Then just put it into the place with the rest of your songs, leave it there, dont move it, add to the itunes library. it's probably being moved somewhere, somehow...GL
    I'm not sure exactly, but this sounds like what I've been doing.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

I did the consolidate files thing and it didn't fix it. As far as this goes, I can't seem to find the song anywhere. It's not in my music folders. No idea where else it could be.
    Do a search for the song in the file search of Windows. See if that finds it.
    I'm sure the program has its own folder it puts the songs after conversion. Go through the programs settings to see where it saves to.

Just a couple of suggestions.
    Points Awarded:

Bob Loblaw gave onlooker 20 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Iced

Weird.
    - Are your songs stored on an internal or external hard drive?
    - What's the name of the specific YouTube converter you use?
    - What type of file do you convert the YouTube videos to? (.mp3?)

Bob Loblaw

I tried another song. When I download the mp3 it gives me two options, open with itunes or save file. All this time I've done open with itunes. This time I did save file. Is it possible this was my problem? The reason I think it might be is because every other time the songs would go to the bottom of my itunes library but it wouldn't let me edit the name of the song/artist. This time it went to the bottom of the library but I was able to edit it.

Bob Loblaw

Weird.
    - Are your songs stored on an internal or external hard drive?
    - What's the name of the specific YouTube converter you use?
    - What type of file do you convert the YouTube videos to? (.mp3?)
    1. Not sure. I'm not very computer smart.
    2. I've used a couple. Lately it's been listentoyoutube.com
    3. mp3 I believe

Bob Loblaw

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Do a search for the song in the file search of Windows. See if that finds it.
    I'm sure the program has its own folder it puts the songs after conversion. Go through the programs settings to see where it saves to.

Just a couple of suggestions.
    Did a search. Got no results.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Did a search. Got no results.
    Maybe like you said, your just playing after converting and it don't save it. That is why it is missing? Save it, then play. Make sure you choose your music folder where all your songs are when saving. So you know where it is.

Bob Loblaw

Maybe like you said, your just playing after converting and it don't save it. That is why it is missing? Save it, then play. Make sure you choose your music folder where all your songs are when saving. So you know where it is.
    Seems like it might make some sense. But I can't figure out why the song would work fine for a few months if that was the case.

Bob Loblaw

I found the folder where this new song was saved. The old one that stopped working isn't in there.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Seems like it might make some sense. But I can't figure out why the song would work fine for a few months if that was the case.
    Not sure. Maybe it was a temp file, and a system clean up cleared it off your drive? I'm just shoot stuff out there, since I don't use the program. Start saving files, and see if that works.

Iced

I tried another song. When I download the mp3 it gives me two options, open with itunes or save file. All this time I've done open with itunes. This time I did save file. Is it possible this was my problem? The reason I think it might be is because every other time the songs would go to the bottom of my itunes library but it wouldn't let me edit the name of the song/artist. This time it went to the bottom of the library but I was able to edit it.
    That's probably the problem.

When you selected the option of "Open with [iTunes]" -- the .mp3 is downloaded to your computer. However, it is downloaded and saved to a temporary folder. In basically every computer, temporary folders are deleted frequently. The problem most likely occurred when your temporary folders were deleted. (Temporary folders get deleted automatically.)

Now that you chose "Save file" -- the .mp3 is downloaded to a location permanently and will never be deleted unless you choose to delete it. This is the option you should have been using and should continue to use.

Hopefully this makes sense and it clears up now why a song would work for a few months but then stops working.

Bob Loblaw

Awesome. That must be it. Thanks guys. I'll send all of you some points sometime down the road.

Bob Loblaw

Hit a parlay, gave you guys some points. Thanks again.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Hit a parlay, gave you guys some points. Thanks again.
    Thanks bud.

What was the parlay? Good job.

Bob Loblaw

Thanks bud.

What was the parlay? Good job.
    PARLAY (4 TEAMS)
    [908] NYM -126
    ( ACTION )
    [910] MIL -215
    ( ACTION )
    [914] TOTAL u6½-120 (PHI vrs SDG)
    ( ACTION )
    [924] TEX -170
    ( ACTION )

91.70 / 609.97

WIN
    WIN
    WIN
    WIN
    WIN
    04/22/2011 06:14 PM

Iced

Congrats Bob. Thanks for the points as well.

goofyre
    Cole World.

Thanks man. Glad you got the problem fixed as well.