Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

Child Support

How much should I be paying. A divorce is emminent and I don't want to get raked over the coals. I make 48k a year and she makes 16,500 working part time 20 hours a week. We have a three year old. She told me that she will accept 700 plus I have to pay for insurance, split health care costs like copays, and half daycare, totalling about 1000 a mounth. What's fair?

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think it varies as far as the actual laws from state to state on how much they are entitled to. I work with a guy who was getting raked over the coals by his EX until he actually talked to someone with the state who told him how bad he had been over paying.

Found this for TX, dunno if it would apply to wherever you live.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/texas/

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

don't you think you should be seeking advice from your lawyer and not a bunch of degens on a gambling forum

edit: don't sign the D papers until you get what you want out of it. childcare and all

Resler

Yeah definitely getting an attorney if I'm getting screwed, but attorneys are 150 an hour. I want to be fair just not get screwed.

itznutz
    itznutz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Depends

It def. varies I believe on your work.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Resler View Post
    Yeah definitely getting an attorney if I'm getting screwed, but attorneys are 150 an hour. I want to be fair just not get screwed.
    EEK! no free consultation

ElLoco23
    ElLoco23's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its better to spend the 1K a month your kid then to give it to these damn books, lol.

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

its gonna be painful..... if your in an alimony state it could be as much as 50% of your total wages
    The fact that she has limited earning potential and a 3 year old at home doesnt bode well for you
    Not being downer....just saying

meader99
    meader99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5231

Now if you can come to an agreement with the woman, you can get out of it a whole lot cheaper. If you can agree on all the issues, custody, alimony, marital assets, etc... you can save a butt load by getting an uncontested divorce. It would be a one shot deal and neither one of you would have an attorney stringing things out for months lining their pockets at your expense.

masr
    masr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5933

good luck pal..

pinchylarue
    *** SBR'S WORST POKER PLAYER ***
    pinchylarue's Avatar Become A Pro!

im lucky I don't have kids

valaub04
    valaub04's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

can't imagine going through this now that I have kids.... seems like 1k/month is a good deal and a lot of those other costs could be offset some by creative accounting at tax time. just to keep things where there wouldn't be a problem seeing the child might make it worth it regardless.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Half the people on this forum are prolly deadbeats that gamble instead of paying child support. Not the right forum to be asking for advice

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Are you able to get Joint Physical Custody? If so, that should cut your child support down.

I only ended up with a $100 a month child support because I made more then her, and have Joint Physical Custody. We did all our paperwork and filing ourselves, because in the end we agreed on everything. After about 5 months of going back and forth.

All I got to say is, try and be as nice as possible with her. To keep her buttered up. If you just fight on everything, it will be a long drawn out process. She can get half of your 401K to, so try to keep her away from that if you have one. And maybe stop paying into it until your done with the divorce. Try looking up your state laws on child support and see what the percentages and maxes are per child. Do as much research as you can, so you have a grasp on it. You both will probably have to attend a Co-Parenting class before the divorce is finalized as well.

Good luck.

BettingGeek
    SBR PRO
    BettingGeek's Avatar Become A Pro!

How much should I be paying. A divorce is emminent and I don't want to get raked over the coals. I make 48k a year and she makes 16,500 working part time 20 hours a week. We have a three year old. She told me that she will accept 700 plus I have to pay for insurance, split health care costs like copays, and half daycare, totalling about 1000 a mounth. What's fair?
    700/month

Boscoe
    Boscoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

wow....divorce with kids must be a nightmare.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

You should just call the child support office in your state, I bet they could ballpark your costs w/out fukking with a lawyer yet.

robzilla
    An SBR Legend.
    robzilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

In Canada, child support is based on a chart. 48K per year = 444.00 in child support a month for 1 child in ontario.

chilidog
    chilidog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 956

Quote Originally Posted by robzilla View Post
    In Canada, child support is based on a chart. 48K per year = 444.00 in child support a month for 1 child in ontario.
    Same as when I got divorced in Texas. I have to pay $600/month child support.

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

if i told you i would have to charge you 150 dollars an hour

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

You MAY get a better deal by letting the court decide, or you could get screwed.

EDIT: Another reason to take this offer, or something close to it, is that she is not coming at you for a year or two of alimony payments.

jashtonrich
    im back
    jashtonrich's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4929

well good luck but it's usually cheaper to keep her ya know.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47737

It depends on which State or Province you live in. There is some great info online to help you get started. Just goggle it. Good luck.

Resler

I found iowa's child support calcs and apparently so did my wife. Its about 650 right now plus the other stuff so pretty close to what she is asking for. I am suppose to be getting a raise to 60k this coming jan. I hope she doesn't try to get more then. Honestly this is still cheaper than staying with her, she loved using my ************.

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8365

Make damn sure that what is best for your child is in the D papers and the only way is to hire your own laywer I made the mastake of not doing that and it was a whole lot harder to get it changed later !!!

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you're going to have to pay 650 and she is asking for 700 you might as well tell her you think 600 is fair. Bargain it down a bit. I'm sure she doesn't want to go through all the hassle to get an extra 100 bucks.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

I have a question for anyone who knows. I have a 7 year old with a chick. I lived in the same house as her and my daughter, but we both did whatever. Anyway, 2yrs ago I moved out and got a place with my chick now(been together 6 yrs---4 while living with baby mother.) Anyway, I have no job on paper and I been giving the baby mom anywhere from $60-$100 per week. I been depositing the money in her account and I have every deposit receipt like clockwork weekly. Can I use the receipts as evidence that I have been supporting my child, at least somewhat?

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I found iowa's child support calcs and apparently so did my wife. Its about 650 right now plus the other stuff so pretty close to what she is asking for. I am suppose to be getting a raise to 60k this coming jan. I hope she doesn't try to get more then. Honestly this is still cheaper than staying with her, she loved using my ************.
    That has to be for her to get Full Custody. Are you going to try for Joint Physical Custody? Or you want her to have the kid full time and you just get visitation or just a couple days a week? That figure can't be if you have J.P.C.

Also, I think they can review your income every 3 years if they want to, to see if your income has went up.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    I have a question for anyone who knows. I have a 7 year old with a chick. I lived in the same house as her and my daughter, but we both did whatever. Anyway, 2yrs ago I moved out and got a place with my chick now(been together 6 yrs---4 while living with baby mother.) Anyway, I have no job on paper and I been giving the baby mom anywhere from $60-$100 per week. I been depositing the money in her account and I have every deposit receipt like clockwork weekly. Can I use the receipts as evidence that I have been supporting my child, at least somewhat?
    Not sure they can prove that it was for the Child. I know when they got me for arrears, the letter said that any money given outside of the child support process would not count toward the total. So I would of been screwed if I would of gave her the 3 months back pay of child support. So they just take out a extra 10 bucks a month, on top of the $100, for the arrears until the $300 is paid up. Which is almost done. I laughed at her when the letter said only 10 bucks a month, for 30 months. She thought she was going to get a $300 lump sum at the time.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Not sure they can prove that it was for the Child. I know when they got me for arrears, the letter said that any money given outside of the child support process would not count toward the total. So I would of been screwed if I would of gave her the 3 months back pay of child support. So they just take out a extra 10 bucks a month, on top of the $100, for the arrears until the $300 is paid up. Which is almost done. I laughed at her when the letter said only 10 bucks a month, for 30 months. She thought she was going to get a $300 lump sum at the time.
    So she can screw me for the last 2 years? Why else would I be depositing money? This sux if true

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

So she can screw me for the last 2 years? Why else would I be depositing money? This sux if true
    That is what my letter said from the District Attorney (Child Support Division) back in 2008. Not sure if it is the same in every state.

Is she pressuring you for child support?

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    That is what my letter said from the District Attorney (Child Support Division) back in 2008. Not sure if it is the same in every state.

Is she pressuring you for child support?
    Maybe. She wasn't so bad until a few weeks ago. I had my daughter one weekend and by accident I put one of my girls thongs in my daughters bag to go home. She flipped the fukk out and now I may be in shit. Black women can be evil.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Maybe. She wasn't so bad until a few weeks ago. I had my daughter one weekend and by accident I put one of my girls thongs in my daughters bag to go home. She flipped the fukk out and now I may be in shit. Black women can be evil.

Yep. That would do it.

Good luck man.

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Way too much, I make more than that and pay almost less than half. But she makes about as much as I do, we agreed on the amount.

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

I'd settle on the 700, and keep the peace if possible. you don't want some money to come between you and the kid. Maybe she'll get a real job when the child is old enough to go to school, then the equation would change since she would be able to support some. You DO NOT want to go to court making decent money and her "not able to work" because of the single parent situation. You will get FUKCED big time for alot of years.
    IMO

12 Last