EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Internet Radio

Just curious. I have been in broadcasting for years and I certainly listen to a lot of my radio on the Internet now. I have a business idea about starting one up in the region where I live, but I'd like to see what you guys listen to ... if you do .. in the way of Internet radio stations. So little survey for anyone who has time. Thanks for anyone who has the time.

What Internet Stations Do You Listen To?

Approximately How Long Do You Listen Each Day?

How Did You Find These Stations?

JerseyLove
    JerseyLove's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Sirius Howard stern the best ever. And sometimes savage nation.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Just curious. I have been in broadcasting for years and I certainly listen to a lot of my radio on the Internet now. I have a business idea about starting one up in the region where I live, but I'd like to see what you guys listen to ... if you do .. in the way of Internet radio stations. So little survey for anyone who has time. Thanks for anyone who has the time.

What Internet Stations Do You Listen To?

Approximately How Long Do You Listen Each Day?

How Did You Find These Stations?
    I listen to sirius on my laptop sometimes. The thing that bothers me is that I can't listen to all the games. Sirius/xm has radio broadcast of all the Nba and Nfl. But you can't access them online. Have to go in my car.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

I listen to Pandora at work.

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5020

Sitting on the beach listening to Pandora and surfing SBR from my iPhone. Pandora streams through my blu-ray player in my home. No need for commercial stations anymore.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Xm/Sirius.

The Virus - Opie and Anthony from 6-8 central time.

Howard 101 - Westcoast feed from 8-1

Faction - Jason ellis show from 2-6.

Then on my drive home I listen to Pandora.

I used to listen to music/radio, but get bored with them playing the same new music in rotation every 2 hours. So now I just listen to talk radio.

But I used to listen to some channels on Shoutcast that were cool, but I don't see how you can get any money out of this, since there are plenty of free stations online that people listen to already.

You could get something going with an online local broadcasting that covered your county, but there is most likely a radio station that already covers that, and they have a following already.

EaglesPhan36

Money doesn't come from the listeners. Money comes from advertisers. My idea is focusing on the hundreds of bands that play shows every day in the area where I live that get no air play, but have people going to their shows.

757sFinest
    757sFinest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Sounds like a good idea. If the fan base is large enough you should be able to make it happen.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Money doesn't come from the listeners. Money comes from advertisers. My idea is focusing on the hundreds of bands that play shows every day in the area where I live that get no air play, but have people going to their shows.

They go hand in hand. You aren't going to get advertisers if there aren't listeners.

Your idea doesn't sound that bad. Just have all the local bad groups within like a 50 mile radius send you there tapes/cds/recordings whatever...

Then after you get a decent following (if you do get a good one) then I'm sure alot of the other bars/restuarants/clubs will pay for a little advertising seeing the type of following you have on your station.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

sounds like a good idea, if you have a pretty good local music scene.

I used to browse purevolume . com and find a bunch of new local bands, not sure if that site is even up anymore, or if there are better sites out there, which if you're serious about this, you'd know the best sites for the local talent.

EaglesPhan36

Yeah it's just an idea I have. I live close to the Dallas-Ft.Worth area in TX and have some contacts/friends involved in the scene. There isn't any FM station here that devotes more than about four hours per week to that sort of music. I'm just to the point where I'm tired of working for people who have no clue what to do in the industry I have been in for years, yet they are the ones with the damn money! And the job market sucks, so why not get just above the poverty line on my own or die tryin!
    Last edited by EaglesPhan36; 04-19-11 at 01:03 PM.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Would only people with smartphones be able to listen to it while in the car?

Or would it be possible to make it into a FM station? I don't have a clue how the radio stations would work and if you could just get a new station just like that.

Up here, I can't think of any stations that play local music...They may favor some "smaller" big time bands that are local to the area, but only really play the songs you hear on Satellite or MTV.

I would actually listen to the radio if they had a station like this. I always like listening to local music and it'd be nice to hear some music from a decent sounding band, then somebody say "you can hear more from them live at so and so bar Friday night" Throw in a plug or 2 for a bar, then hopefully they'd realize that you were promoting there place, and they would start an advertising commitment with you.

EaglesPhan36

No. FM stations = big money. Internet is really the only realistic option for someone like myself to start something with minimal capital. But yes, the idea would be to have it where people can listen via computer and via phone app. Yeah, the idea for me is that the venues where they play are going to be the places I hit up to be advertising partners in this. Promotes them + the music.