QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeSSt View Post
    i do believe you mean 'i can't believe he made a topic about that show'

and if you really think that most real life owners of the business don't rummage through the units before the auction, then i have some ocean front property in arizona i'd like to sell you
    The people I'm familiar with don't open the person's lock until the time of the auction.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Didn't someone pay A unit that Paris Hilton had and found out she has STD's via medical records?

ok now what
    ok now what's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I've been told by the people who run the place I have storage at that the prices at auction seldom get over $100 unless it's a giant unit.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

I read somewhere a dude bought a unit that belonged to Michael Jackson, had a few $100,000 worth of stuff in it. It's like the stories of people finding million dollar artworks at yard sales, it happens, but once in a lifetime.

If you owned a second hand shop and knew how to sell used kitchen ware and furniture sets, I'm sure you could turn a profit buying units.

shawnkang
    shawnkang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

storage wars is pretty entertaining.

MTek
    MTek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2860

I attended auction long before there was a show, 90% are total junk, the storage company HAS to legally auction off each unit and provide legal paperwork in the event of a renter coming back and suing
    It takes the storage company weeks to get a bin to auction.

Im sure there's some good units out there but the 1st thing you need is the ability to cart away the stuff quickly,the 2nd is cheap disposal methods, most auctions stipulate bins are emptied by the buyer within 24 hours,so if your winning 3 or 4 bins at an auction that's a lot of hauling and a lot of trash.

I agree you either need to have a consignment shop or be preparrded to spend a lot of time on Ebay and craigslist.

I can see making some money at this,I can't see making a consistent living at it, but I'm sure some people do

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

Storage Wars is a good concept for a show, i like watching

gerogermany
    gerogermany's Avatar Become A Pro!

No i dont have any storage unit and dont plan to buy one.

MoneyM1ke
    MoneyM1ke's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12843

Would never get into this, what are the chances the owners don't go through the units first and take the good stuff?
    yes -2000 no +150

DoritoHolic
    DoritoHolic's Avatar Become A Pro!

It looks fun, but at the same time a lot of work.

First 12