shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Progressive Car Insurance - Snapshot Program

A friend of mine switched to Progressive after he was quoted $600 less/yr on his car insurance. Apparently they have this Snapshot Program where they send you this little device that plugs into your car and tracks your driving habits.

One month later he received an email from them saying they had credited his card with over $400 against the 6 months he had paid in advance because of his driving habits. Apparently good driving habits = cash back because you're less of a risk to cost them money in claims. (edited: removed wrong info)

My friend said now that they've done that, he's become even more conscious of being a good driver ie not gunning it when the light turns green, slowing down more gradually at stop signs instead of slamming the brakes at the last minute, etc... because he knows that it could save him even more cash on his next 6 month policy.

I like this idea for many reasons and am thinking of proposing it to the company I work for but want to get other opinions on it first, just to make sure his experience isn't atypical of this program.
    Last edited by shari91; 04-18-11 at 03:08 PM.

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

I had progressive when I was 18 (almost 22 years ago). They overcharge you. Very high rates

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    A friend of mine switched to Progressive after he was quoted $600 less/yr on his car insurance. Apparently they have this Snapshot Program where they send you this little device that plugs into your car and tracks your driving habits.

One month later he received an email from them saying they had credited his card with over $400 against the 6 months he had paid in advance because of his driving habits. Apparently good driving habits = cash back because you're less of a risk to cost them money in claims. On the flip-side if you're a crap driver, your policy can increase.

My friend said now that they've done that, he's become even more conscious of being a good driver ie not gunning it when the light turns green, slowing down more gradually at stop signs instead of slamming the brakes at the last minute, etc... because he knows that it could save him even more cash on his next 6 month policy.

I like this idea for many reasons and am thinking of proposing it to the company I work for but want to get other opinions on it first, just to make sure his experience is atypical of this program.
    This is true, but not with respect to this program. The snapshot program will only give you a discount if you qualify (drive safely for the month you have the tracker), it cannot raise your rate.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    This is true, but not with respect to this program. The snapshot program will only give you a discount if you qualify (drive safely for the month you have the tracker), it cannot raise your rate.
    Awesome! My friend must've misunderstood, but that's good news. Thanks

neverstoppers23
    neverstoppers23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Yeah I was thinking about signing up for this program, who doesn't like saving money.

ROYAJA8
    ROYAJA8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 257

That sounds pretty cool. For one month drive as safe as you can and you pay less nice.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by ROYAJA8 View Post
    That sounds pretty cool. For one month drive as safe as you can and you pay less nice.
    Yeah, it's quite smart on their part. They give you the rebate after the 1st month and I think with human nature you'll continue to drive extra safely either to get the same or a larger rebate in the next 6 months so the chance of you costing them money with a claim is effectively reduced for 5 months at least. This sounds pretty cool as far as saving money goes.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

I'm a skeptic on a program like this for a few reasons. The program is designed for people who don't do a lot of driving and have time to put more thought into their driving whereabouts than most. I'm pretty sure there are consequences for drivers in certain US states if negative driving is reported through the technology... so anyone interested in this be cautious of that. There may also be a technology fee that is applied to your policy through this program. In addition to that, I would also be cautious of policy "changes"... Can they make changes to this program at anytime, and if so are these changes going to retroactive based on your history under the program?

I don't know, but to me this program is for the very conservative driver, or the very lucky one. For someone like me who drives alot and at times needs to be places in a hurry, I wouldn't go for this type of policy. I'm sure it could work for some though, but I would be hesitant without doing research.

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

shit they might as well throw in a plug n play breathalyzer to check your BAC

Bartmeister
    Bartmeister's Avatar Become A Pro!

15 minutes saves you a lot LOL

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I use Allstate.

BeatingBaseball
    It's all about the price
    BeatingBaseball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

If you're a liberal idiot you may want to become a Progressive customer - but if you believe in America's founding principles and don't want your money going to support radical left wing initiatives - you won't do business with Progressive. Check out their Chairman, Peter Lewis.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

That is a great program. I'd love to be on that.

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5020

Have you read all of the horror stories on getting Progressive to settle a claim? I would rather pay a little more and be sure my insurance company will take care of me if there is an accident.

I just paid a moving company to move my Mother, and they damaged some things. Progressive is handling the claim, and it has not been fun so far.

Brewers in 7
    SBR owes me 45 points
    Brewers in 7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1303

I have progressive now, gonna look into the snapshot discount

exstatman
    exstatman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 324

Of course, even after the $400 rebate, there are probably many companies lower than that. All companies that offer a bunch of discounts start out high and are only competitive if you qualify for most of them.

Monitor-Tan
    Tony Romo of Daily Fantasy
    Monitor-Tan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 428

I think that's gonan be almost impossible for me to do since I live in NYC. Run and Gun is our game if you wanna get somewhere

Might be good for more rural areas?

runnershane14
    runnershane14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Interesting program..i could see a lot of companies using more technology like this.

FeelinJuiced
    FeelinJuiced's Avatar Become A Pro!

Progressive is the best insurance I've been quoted. The snapshot program is an added bonus.

Irish Lumberjack
    Irish Lumberjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2332

Not a huge fan of someone knowing every move I make in my own car.

chemicalbrother
    Under the Influence
    chemicalbrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

i've been on progressive since i was 18. been a few years since i've had a ticket, maybe i should look into it?

Mthorn
    Mthorn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 125

Great program. Going to look into it

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

I like driving fast.

shari91

Quote Originally Posted by Monitor-Tan View Post
    I think that's gonan be almost impossible for me to do since I live in NYC. Run and Gun is our game if you wanna get somewhere Might be good for more rural areas?
    My friend that I mentioned in the first post lives in Brooklyn so maybe it'll work for you? He used to be a bit of a crazy driver but he said now that he got the discount, he's much more conscious of not driving the typical NYC way, just so he can save some cash.