shopbar picks
    shopbar picks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22725

Aging parents and your role

I took care of my dad who worked hard to keep us fed warm and clothed. He died at 73 now i have a 75 yo mom who makes me laugh. Its a burden but i gladly shoulder it.
    Points Awarded:

biggie12 gave shopbar picks 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

shopbar picks

I used to tell him when he would bring up the korean war. It was a free vacation. But called mom to nite land line to land line. She walks out the house gets in my bros car to go to dinner. About 3mins later i lose her. She calls me back 3hrs later. She thought the portable was her cell. And was 3miles away from the farm. Made me laugh. But my point is respect your elders. Shared this cause she was laughing too

shopbar picks

And i think there alot of young people on this forum. One day you will have to be the parent(or mind of reasoning) for the the people that molded you.

DblDeuce
    DblDeuce's Avatar Become A Pro!

So true and kudos to you! So many people put their parents in nursing homes and such against their will. You are definitely a great son!

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

Funny story bro! Yeah my mom calls me up in the late night and talks to me about the tv show she's watch'in, usually Matlock, or Walker Texas Ranger, even Star Trek! I think it's cool she keeps late hours even at her age, she knows she can call me and chat about whatever anytime. Never a burden for the parents who brought you into the world.

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

You're a good man shopbar and you're doing the right thing. Our parents are the only people on our life's journey whom we can fully trust and depend on.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

thoughts on when it is your in-laws that are guilting your spouse and you into stuff all the time...

same level of compassion, put up with it, etc.??? They're in their 50's, we have 4 kids and at ball fields or dance classes 5-6 days a week, and he's wanting her, and me in the end, to come over cut their grass, trim their bushes, etc. We have our own home that has to be tended to, plenty busy with kids that have busy after school schedules...

Thoughts? Anyone?

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post
    thoughts on when it is your in-laws that are guilting your spouse and you into stuff all the time...

same level of compassion, put up with it, etc.??? They're in their 50's, we have 4 kids and at ball fields or dance classes 5-6 days a week, and he's wanting her, and me in the end, to come over cut their grass, trim their bushes, etc. We have our own home that has to be tended to, plenty busy with kids that have busy after school schedules...

Thoughts? Anyone?

In their 50's? Tell him to get his ass outside and do some yard work. But say it in a joking way.

blackbox
    Update your status
    blackbox's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3229

It is very trying-dad died from Picks Disease-horrible to watch over time-now my 86 year old mother needs alot of attention. Thank the Lord I still have a mother to help care for. gl all.

Housemoney
    Housemoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5020

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    In their 50's? Tell him to get his ass outside and do some yard work. But say it in a joking way.

+1, they just sound lazy. My Mother is 65 and she still maintains her house by herself.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Would you say that to your father-in-law? Believe me... I would LOVE to. And I would to my dad.

shopbar picks

The In-laws situation is a tough one. my neighbors wife was talking about her dad that now has alzheimers.And used to be a drunk. Quit drinking at 55 now 79yo started drinking again, she reminded him that he quit over 25yrs ago. And he was lucent enough to say " I did? Shit!" So everyday he goes to the fridge gets a beer and his wife has to remind him quit. The pain of getting old. thanx for the kind responses. they were needed and i needed a place to vent

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

i got kicked out on my 18th birthday beat as a kid tough love and all that jazz... i will pay for the old folks home maybe visit once every other month... Maybe i think im being a good kid paying the bill considering how they half assed my child hood.

borednaz
    Swing Piggy Swing!
    borednaz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Parents where horrible. Still paying to take care of my father even if his mind isn't here anymore. My mother is half dead to I'd offer her the same if I had another extra room. Thank god my grandma is still alive & let's her plus my loser non working brother stay there. Worthless **** has a bachelors degree that she paid for.... Sorry wrong tangent.

It's not about family or responsibility it's about being true to yourself. I have never let anyone go hungry or without a place to sleep if I had a floor/bed/ or food to share. I even find myself giving homeless people a buck or two if I have it to spare.

The right thing is not about conscious, guilt, or being a better person. It's about realizing we all have families, we all have a right to breathe, and that is good enough for me.

shopbar picks

Sorry to hear that teaserpleaser, i know quite a few people that grew up that way, its not right. But its nice that you have forgiven enough to pay and visit. Some of the people i know still carry the hate, and their lives are miserable

shopbar picks

you're a good man borednaz

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Seeing how old people get when they should still be healthy is a bit depressing.

Makes me want to take care of my body now so that I will be relatively healthy when/if I get to 70-80 years.

frankzig
    frankzig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3622

wow surprized so many , thought i was one of the only ones on here in this situation

nyed1010
    nyed1010's Avatar Become A Pro!

My parents gave me the world. They are the one constant in my life. I don't have a lot of people that I can count on, but I know my parents will always be there for me no matter what. My parent's had me kind of late and it sucks that they won't be here forever. You guys that are like middle age and still have your parents are really lucky.

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1276

respect

shopbar picks

franzkig. Have you ever read a sereies of books by dave (i think) felzer. First was called A child called it. The book really opened my eyes. To how many kids really need help

tim0402
    Update your status
    tim0402's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 457

Quote Originally Posted by pronk View Post
    You're a good man shopbar and you're doing the right thing. Our parents are the only people on our life's journey whom we can fully trust and depend on.
    exactly how i feel, scared to death to face this world without them.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

yeah I am not looking forward to they day they pass on. Just in that moment that u know u will never see them again. Even if they are aging we should all care for our parents because when they die we will wish we did

shopbar picks

frankzig posting from a phone. Its dave pelzer and the title is A Child called "It"

shopbar picks

tim0402, jrod. Etal lost my dad 2yrs ago this month. Mom used to call and ask how to set the time on the vcr,micrwave etc. And i would explain it over the phone. Now for even small questions i drive over to do it. Not explain it. Just more time spent with her

shopbar picks

pronk have to tell you have one the greatest avatars. Rev. Jim (Ignitowski)? is one of the greatest tv characters of all time. i think you should start that thread in the saloon. Thank you for the kind words

shopbar picks

and pronk to this day i will never forget. What does a yellow light mean? lol thanx

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post

Thoughts? Anyone?
    I actually took in my mother in law... Oh well...

onetrickpony
    onetrickpony's Avatar Become A Pro!

1 parent u need 1 pillow 2 u need 2,

jk im only 20, so no clue

shopbar picks

Otp thanx for posting. Its a rough world