itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

style = social bearing??

Anyone else ever find themselves 'people watching' while you're in line grocery shopping....shopping at the mall...out to eat....etc and wonder if their style or simply choice of attire is directly tied to personality and career? In other words you get a pretty good idea of who people are and what they do by their dress...you have your middle class guy with jeans and a shirt and ball cap....polo and khaki style....over dressed guys/girls with the expensive clothes (or knockoffs) but are driving an beater and so forth...the you have your old worn out t-shirt and shoes people etc.

Just curious if everyone here has a certain style they go with because it's what they want....or simply all they can afford these days...or are you all over the map as far as dress depending on the day or where you're headed?

sparkyasu
    sparkyasu's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have a 6 figure salary, and dress like the "you have your old worn out t-shirt and shoes people" when I'm not working, so to your question, no.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyasu View Post
    i have a 6 figure salary, and dress like the "you have your old worn out t-shirt and shoes people" when I'm not working, so to your question, no.

I posted it since it's been an ongoing discussion the last week or so...got on the topic while we were shopping not too long ago and then watched "the social network" last night and was joking about Zuckerberg being worth billions and still dresses in $30 jeans and flip flops. And of course you have guys working at Subway who are sporting the 'showcase' outfits

actionchris
    actionchris's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do people watch while shopping, but my clothes aren't anything special though either

kiln
    Ezekiel 25:17
    kiln's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 436

We live in a culture where people are trained to judge other people by the standards of conspicuous consumption. I think someone in $200 sunglasses looks like a tool. Every time I see another girl or young woman in black riding pants with knee high boots I automatically think she's stupid, incapable of individual expression, and lacks any creative spirit. Even if she's gorgeous. Few things annoy me more than Uggs, especially when paired with shorts and we have A LOT of that around here. The faux-hawk and the Beiber, though, annoy me more than every other derivative, copy-cat, uninspired trend-following assault on sensibility.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith

Quote Originally Posted by kiln View Post
    We live in a culture where people are trained to judge other people by the standards of conspicuous consumption. I think someone in $200 sunglasses looks like a tool. Every time I see another girl or young woman in black riding pants with knee high boots I automatically think she's stupid, incapable of individual expression, and lacks any creative spirit. Even if she's gorgeous. Few things annoy me more than Uggs, especially when paired with shorts and we have A LOT of that around here. The faux-hawk and the Beiber, though, annoy me more than every other derivative, copy-cat, uninspired trend-following assault on sensibility.

UGGS

tomcast
    tomcast's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 251

I'm not a people watcher at all

sparkyasu
    sparkyasu's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    I posted it since it's been an ongoing discussion the last week or so...got on the topic while we were shopping not too long ago and then watched "the social network" last night and was joking about Zuckerberg being worth billions and still dresses in $30 jeans and flip flops. And of course you have guys working at Subway who are sporting the 'showcase' outfits
    $30 for non-work jeans/pants is way too much for me, I like to rock $8 athletic shorts, and there is no winter where I'm from.

thechaoz
    2019 SBRs Toughest Poster
    thechaoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 35902

I guess in a general sense it could be to boring/lame/old people. I make good money but sometimes dress nice, sometimes in hoodie and jeans, sometimes whatever. A lot of people are insecure and dress for an identity though.