stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32303

OK, so I'm watching "Song Remains The Same"

Led Zep very well could be the greatest rock and roll band ever is my conclusion.

pronk
    pronk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

They are!!!!!

Gonad
    Gonad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6953

Hated these guys in my younger days, but they are easily a Top 3 band of all-time...

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Greatest cover band ever. I love them, but how do they sleep at night...

Roy Halladay
    Roy Halladay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20

They are the best in my estimation.

Tommy_de1st
    Damn, she's hot
    Tommy_de1st's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7897

never heard about 'em

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Never fuking heard of 'em pal.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Best Ever!

stevenash

I was a kid when they were in their prime, never got to see them live.
    Holy Mother of God, I knew Bonham was great, but he did that one drum solo in "Dazed And Confused" for about 10 minutes, that normal drummers would have hyper ventilated 5 minutes in.

coldhardfacts
    coldhardfacts's Avatar Become A Pro!

Couldn't stand them when I was younger. Still can't.

But Robert Plante's new country album is GREAT.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I don't even care Led Zeppelin stole those songs. They sound about 80 billion times better than Robert Johnson and those other old blues dudes.

Vrakas
    Vrakas's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8912

Not bad at all

Roadtrip635

Even those old Blues guys "borrowed" from each other, pretty common back then. Some of those old blues songs are still disputed on who wrote them originally. Yes, Led Zep should have given proper credit to many people, but it still doesn't lessen the impact they had on rock music or what great musicians they were. Hell, I have a friend that used to play in bands here in Texas back in the day and claims ZZTop stole his bass line for their song "La Grange". He did play a lot of the same places and he does know the guys, but is it true? I doubt it, but wouldn't be surprised if it were true. At least they used to send him Christmas cards, maybe ZZtop feels guilty, who knows.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Even those old Blues guys "borrowed" from each other, pretty common back then. Some of those old blues songs are still disputed on who wrote them originally. Yes, Led Zep should have given proper credit to many people, but it still doesn't lessen the impact they had on rock music or what great musicians they were. Hell, I have a friend that used to play in bands here in Texas back in the day and claims ZZTop stole his bass line for their song "La Grange". He did play a lot of the same places and he does know the guys, but is it true? I doubt it, but wouldn't be surprised if it were true. At least they used to send him Christmas cards, maybe ZZtop feels guilty, who knows.
    John Lee Hooker sued ZZ Top for "La Grange" and lost. I never got the connection with his song and ZZ Top's.

I still think Zep is great, but people who wrote those lyrics or riffs need to get paid. Zep sold the rights to "certain songs" to cover their ass against future lawsuits. It's pretty douche if you ask me.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Yeah well, look at it this way:

White man band steals from the black blues man, rap groups sample the white man and steal it back again. I'm sure the cycle will repeat itself a few more times. Zep stole Moby Dick, and the Beasties stole it from Zep.

There are only so many chords and so many notes. I know a guy who wrote almost the same exact song another dude wrote, even though they had never met and never recorded their songs. It sounds mindboggling, but it happens. You could probably make the case that every song out there today is a Bob Dylan rip off somehow.

Roadtrip635

Sometimes it happens unintentionally, I have a friend and she had wrote a new song and was so excited about it. She starts singing it for a couple of us, then she gets to the chorus. I start chuckling and say "Oh, like that song by The Who?" She stops and says "What do you mean?" That chorus is from a Who song. The look on her face, looked like someone had run over her puppy. The rest of the lyrics and music were different, but the chorus was the same. She didn't do it on purpose, she knew the song but it just didn't click at the time.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip635 View Post
    Sometimes it happens unintentionally, I have a friend and she had wrote a new song and was so excited about it. She starts singing it for a couple of us, then she gets to the chorus. I start chuckling and say "Oh, like that song by The Who?" She stops and says "What do you mean?" That chorus is from a Who song. The look on her face, looked like someone had run over her puppy. The rest of the lyrics and music were different, but the chorus was the same. She didn't do it on purpose, she knew the song but it just didn't click at the time.
    That sucks.

No worse feeling than coming to find out an original creation of your heart and soul isn't original.

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

zep is ok never been a big rock fan

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    That sucks.

No worse feeling than coming to find out an original creation of your heart and soul isn't original.
    Same with comedy writing, I used to write comedy (freelance)

I wrote a 'bit' once, I thought it was original, wife says "Brian Regan covered that material like 4 years ago"

I thought what I came up was original.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Same with comedy writing, I used to write comedy (freelance)

I wrote a 'bit' once, I thought it was original, wife says "Brian Regan covered that material like 4 years ago"

I thought what I came up was original.
    Same shit happened to a buddy of mine. Was doing his routine on open-mic night and got drilled by a couple drunks in the crowd for ripping this guy off. Some dude we'd never frickin' heard of. We got back later and googled the motherfukker, sure enough, almost an identical little bit. Insane.

Hazious
    Lake Show Life
    Hazious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 286

Movie is fukkin a trip. Bonham solo sends shivers up my spine. Amazing.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Hazious View Post
    Movie is fukkin a trip. Bonham solo sends shivers up my spine. Amazing.
    The way he goes from hi-rise to bongos.
    One of the greatest ever.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1524

One the greatest rock and roll movies of all time! Led Zep kicks ass!