stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

DJ Megatron shot and killed in Staten Island

A Staten Island deejay and rising hip-hop star was shot to death while walking to a local bodega to buy a cigar early Sunday, police and a close friend said.

DJ Megatron was down the block from his Staten Island home when his killer approached about 2 a.m. and fired a single shot into his torso, cops said.

The 32-year-old regular on BET's "106 & Park," whose real name was Corey McGriff, died on the street - his eyes facing the sky and a baseball cap at his side.

"It is just earth-shattering," his mom, Louvenia McGriff, 60, told the Daily News by phone from her Georgia home.

"Words can't describe the way my husband and I feel right now. I just don't know how we're going to make it without him. He was our golden child."

Detectives combed the crime scene for several hours but no witnesses came forward, and there was no arrests.

Nor did cops have a motive.

Corey McGriff's family and friends said he had no known enemies, but The News found that a furious former friend repeatedly slammed the popular, young BET star in an online forum.

About three months ago, a flurry of nasty messages about McGriff owing someone money was posted on nearly all of the deejay's videos on YouTube.

In one comment, the venom seemed eerily prophetic:

"I told u all u had to do was pay the f-----g bill. I tried to help u out but u wanna play me, right? Bite the hands that feed u, right Mega?

"Bad s--- will continue happening to u, Dude!"

The comments were posted with different handles, including "MegaPayup," but appear to be written by the same person.

Another reads: "Like really Mega you can sleep with a clear concious [sic]?? ... like how are u an example to ur kids?"

An NYPD official could not say whether the online rants were being probed. As of early Sunday night, police did not know whether the killer specifically targeted McGriff or whether he was simply the victim of a botched stickup, officials said.

One police source said robbery doesn't appear to be the motive.

McGriff, a father of three children who got his start as a deejay on Hot 97, was slain on Osgood Ave. in Stapleton, around the corner from his brother's apartment, where he was living temporarily, his family said.

"He was going to get a Dutch," close friend Mex Guevara said, referring to a cheap cigar known as a Dutch Master.

Guevara, 33, added that he believes McGriff, a Staten Island celebrity who always wore a hooded sweatshirt, was killed by a robber.

"He definitely didn't have no beef with anybody," he said. "Some young kids probably saw him and didn't know who he was."

Police ask anyone with information to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers tipline at 800-577-TIPS. All calls are confidential.

Slim
    Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 354

It's his own damn fault. Going out at 2 a.m. in New York is never a good idea.

wonderyears
    wonderyears's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 500

I don't see how getting shot could ever be your own fault, unless you're plaxico. Hope they catch the person who did this though

actionchris
    actionchris's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow crazy that he died in the street like that

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by wonderyears View Post
    I don't see how getting shot could ever be your own fault, unless you're plaxico. Hope they catch the person who did this though
    Nobody is going to snitch.

ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

never heard of him pal

tad0matic
    tad0matic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2027

so is this supposed to be a big loss to society? where will we ever find this kind of talent again in order to keep BET on the top ? just another black on black crime, happens every single day...

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4639

Was it DJ Optimus Prime?

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

RIP Megatron

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Never heard of him until I read the story in the ny post. I did listen to hot97 in high school when I thought I was down.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Well we still have soundwave and other assorted decepticons

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

OMG huge loss.

Wonder what he needed that cigar for at 2 am? I don't think I've ever known someone who needed to smoke a cigar that bad at 2 in the morning, maybe I'm missing something....

teddyd
    teddyd's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    It's his own damn fault. Going out at 2 a.m. in New York is never a good idea.
    wow - that's the dumbest statement ever. seems like the guy was just going to buy a blunt - something thousands do every night. didn't deserve to get shot and certainly wasn't his fault for going out at 2am in new york...

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Yes. This happened 5 mins from my house. Stapleton is a rough projects. This is where wutang is from if anybody didn't know. I hung out in this hood a lot when I was a kid. Stapleton and park hill projects aint nothin to fukk with. RIP megatron

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Ok horrible story although he put himself at high risk for something to happen

Going anywhere at 2:00AM is risky especially in ghetto

Seems like a robbery

Bartmeister
    Bartmeister's Avatar Become A Pro!

Terrible. Another murder in New York

Bartmeister
    Bartmeister's Avatar Become A Pro!

And people complain when they put surveillance cameras in public places

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Ok horrible story although he put himself at high risk for something to happen

Going anywhere at 2:00AM is risky especially in ghetto

Seems like a robbery

Yea JJ. Remember I was just telling you on the phone, how I lived right down the block from the projects where wutang grew up. This shooting happened literally 5 mins from my house.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Yes. This happened 5 mins from my house. Stapleton is a rough projects. This is where wutang is from if anybody didn't know. I hung out in this hood a lot when I was a kid. Stapleton and park hill projects aint nothin to fukk with. RIP megatron
    Used to go to Stapleton back in the day to get the power puff weed.
    Knocked on door, slipped a sawbuck through a slot, out comes the weed.
    I only went noon time though.

Ninersnut
    Money talks and bullshit runs marathons
    Ninersnut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Read that in the AC press....life is hard being a DJ

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Yea. I used to hang there when I was a kid. Old Dirty Bastard used to come from brooklyn to hang. That dude used to get drunk and angel dusted, then start singing Al Greens songs, mad loud at 3am. RIP ODB.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I blame it on a West Coast gang of D.J.'s. This should ignite another East Coast/West Coast rivalry

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

Never heard of him, but anyone who names themselves after a TV cant be that smart.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Quote Originally Posted by teddyd View Post
    wow - that's the dumbest statement ever. seems like the guy was just going to buy a blunt - something thousands do every night. didn't deserve to get shot and certainly wasn't his fault for going out at 2am in new york...
    With the new census stats coming out can someone tell me the murder rate of blunt shoppers at 2am compared to people who buy milk at 11am. The advertisers on tv are missing a major demographic with 2am blunt buyers. Bring back the girls gone wild infomercials with them smoking blunts at 3am and watch the blunt stocks soar.

Junkyard Dog
    Get up and Get it
    Junkyard Dog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1899

sounds like mega pissed off the wrong ppl

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    I just drove by there. He was going to buy a bag of weed when he got shot. Its more closer to park hill projects, than stapleton.

Slim
    Slim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 354

I love black on black crime.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I love black on black crime.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Gates. You should be careful. Don't fall into this racism shit. YOUR MEXICAN. You want to give this guy high- fives. He's calling your stupid ass a wetback as we speak. Your a minority just like me. You will never be one of them.

FYI. The same racists that don't like blacks. Guess what. They don't like your Mexican ass either.

necro
    Update your status
    necro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 108

whos is dj megatron???

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16702

Never heard of him.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    Gates. You should be careful. Don't fall into this racism shit. YOUR MEXICAN. You want to give this guy high- fives. He's calling your stupid ass a wetback as we speak. Your a minority just like me. You will never be one of them. FYI. The same racists that don't like blacks. Guess what. They don't like your Mexican ass either.

LOL...Now I'm a mexican?

I'm not gonna argue with you today...You admitted yesterday to selling crack to kids. WINNNING.

I don't wanna get shot from the biggest "thug" on SBR.

Have a good day.

samdapatriotsfan
    samdapatriotsfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1040

Wow, tough loss for his family and kids RIP Megatron.

As for me...if I ever step out of the house past dusk best believe I am packing heat. I exercise my 2nd amendment rights, even if not lawfully at times.

NY caters to the thugs for some reason. Let's see, 5 years for carrying a firearm...period. Obtaining a CC permit? Almost impossible, I think they have issued 5 in the past 70 years, all to former law enforcement. Do you think criminals are abiding by these rules or even care about them?

Come to Cali where you can stay strapped 24/7 and have no worries unless you are committing crimes. It is damn near impossible to get a CC permit here as well but if you get caught carrying a concealed weapon and are just an average Joe it is a slap on the wrist. Because they know you need to protect yourself.

ttrace35

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    LOL...Now I'm a mexican?

I'm not gonna argue with you today...You admitted yesterday to selling crack to kids. WINNNING.

I don't wanna get shot from the biggest "thug" on SBR.

Have a good day.
    Gates. Its ok to be you. I can tell you are mexican by your avatar. What's the guys name Razor Ramone

Whatever you are. I hate you. Bastard. I love Mexicans. Its supposed to be us against whitey.

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

never heard of the guy.. moving on..

12 Last