cobalt king
    cobalt king's Avatar Become A Pro!

Need Dog Advice

I adopted a gorgeous 1 year old female pit bull, shes totally calm and loving, but the problem is I have a two year old and a five year old and because of the stigma surrounding the breed im very worried now, does anyone have pit bulls and kids?

G's pks
    Update your status
    G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

you thought about this after you got the dog...doubt it... sounds like you want to back out...find it a home now you took it...

cobalt king

I don't want to back out in the least, shes beautiful and even tempered but everyone I tell is making me feel like a bad parent and the people in my development and running away when I walk her and now its put doubt in my head about the safety of the kids

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

rub alpo on your 2 year olds head & stick it in the dogs mouth, depending on the outcome the 5 year old will have a good idea of what to & not to do

rochestertitans
    betpoints ARE MY ONLY BANKROLL
    rochestertitans's Avatar Become A Pro!

the dogs mentality is how u make it... if ure rough with the pit shell show a little agression if you are constintaly rough and mean.. if u use soft tones and are loving.. thats how the pit will b

rochestertitans
    betpoints ARE MY ONLY BANKROLL
    rochestertitans's Avatar Become A Pro!

oo and people.. dont listen to them.. the avr person hasnt owned a pit.. and they get their views based on tv ... i.e. mike vick

Muggy
    Muggy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 344

The dog's temperament will be based on how you treat it, and pit bulls only have a bad social stigma because of the way those dogs have been mistreated in the past, and how the media has portrayed them in a bad light. Pit bulls can be extremely nurturing dogs and if your children already have positive interactions with it, you have absolutely nothing to worry about for your children. What could be an issue is how people react to your dog when they see it's a pit bull or when your dog interacts with other dogs/owners who are afraid due to the social stigma.

Rio DiNero
    using no way as way
    Rio DiNero's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 218

Make sure to professionally train the dog and don't leave it alone with your kids. They are great dogs, but are still dogs and very strong.

astrodomer
    Houston Oilers
    astrodomer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

The best dog advice I could have gave ya was last night with Kentucky arf arf

Powderguy
    Powderguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 54

My brother has 2 half pits and they are the nicest ever. It's the ninjas that raise them to fight and the thugs that own them in the hood, that's why they get a bad rap

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

There is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad dog owners.

Treat her right, bring her up right, you will have no problems.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

I would call some local dog trainers in your area and discuss with them the options. I wouldn't listen to anyone who's not owned a Pit Bull because all they know is what they've heard. The only issue is kids are kids and they love to play with the dog...ie pull it's tail, stick their hands in the dogs mouth, etc. and sometimes dogs of certain breeds have a different reaction to that. It's all in the education of the kids and dog alike.

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

probably should of thought of that before you got the pit.

that being said what you put into a dog is what you will get out.

i know someone who has a pit and it is the nicest dog around everyone. because of the way they treat it. not rough or aggressive

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

watch pit boss for more info.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    The only issue is kids are kids and they love to play with the dog...ie pull it's tail, stick their hands in the dogs mouth, etc. and sometimes dogs of certain breeds have a different reaction to that. It's all in the education of the kids and dog alike.

this is spot on. pits are great with kids as long as the kids understand the dog is not a toy. the other thing you need to watch out for is the kids running around in yard with dog. a lot of dogs can't differentiate kids from adults and with all of the screaming and running around they will treat kid like another dog.

the responsibilty falls on you to make sure the kids treat the dog well.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5958

dogs are stupid and disgusting. get something else or nothing.

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

Keep the kids or the dogs, but not both. Or you will be the next one on the 11 o'clock news saying " the dog never hurt anyone before, he just snapped." The whole pit breed is liken to crazed lunatics, its not there fault. Just inbred.

G's pks
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by falconticket View Post
    Keep the kids or the dogs, but not both. Or you will be the next one on the 11 o'clock news saying " the dog never hurt anyone before, he just snapped." The whole pit breed is liken to crazed lunatics, its not there fault. Just inbred.
    might be time to let the kids go...

koby25
    koby25's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 416

speaking of pits. I have a friend that just went to the hospital today because his sweet dog bit his hand today. He is a mechanic and now he has to go see a hand surgeon. Wouldn't own one.

Doug
    Doug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1298

give the kids guns for protection....

G's pks
    Update your status

maybe keep the dogs and put the kids in a dog pen outside?

G's pks
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by koby25 View Post
    speaking of pits. I have a friend that just went to the hospital today because his sweet dog bit his hand today. He is a mechanic and now he has to go see a hand surgeon. Wouldn't own one.
    The dog was defending its self...

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

I have two pits of my own. No kids.

Adopted both from the shelter. Never had any issues with aggression. Raise her right and get her socialized.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

A pit is a pit... bottom line is you will always feel uneasy about it if you have kids around... even if you know in your heart that she is a great dog. I have an american bulldog and although she isn't a pit, she gets the same flack a pit gets because of her look and her similar bloodline... and rightfully so... she is part of breed that is by nature, in laymens terms, "a badass". I knew this going in and that is why my relationship with her is nothing but alpha like. From day one I have treated her and trained her as a dominant master and nothing else. In the back of my mind I am always aware that she is part of the bully breed. You can't get too comfortable imho, no matter how sweet they seem. You have to commit to the role of alpha and never stray from it or you may find your kids in danger... they depend on you for that... they also depend on you to make sure that as alpha, you make your pit know they are at the bottom of the totum pole. You have to do this, because they are not alphas they are just part of the pack... but your dog needs to know that the kids are above her and your the one that needs to make sure this happens.

It's been over a year now and my bulldog is in her place and knows here role. I can honestly say I trust her with my children more than with any dog I have ever been around regardless of breed... but this trust is still growing and the foundation it's based on is very strictly based on my dominance over her. It has worked and she gets it... she feels good knowing her place in our family and I feel good knowing she knows this.

masr
    masr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5933

Get rid of it

cobalt king

Lots of mixed signals but I appreciate all the advice guys, I think I'll try the training and dominance route before I give her back to get euthanized

G's pks
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt king View Post
    Lots of mixed signals but I appreciate all the advice guys, I think I'll try the training and dominance route before I give her back to get euthanized

FuzzyDunlop
    Poster of the Month October 2015
    FuzzyDunlop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt king View Post
    I don't want to back out in the least, shes beautiful and even tempered but everyone I tell is making me feel like a bad parent and the people in my development and running away when I walk her and now its put doubt in my head about the safety of the kids

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Best advice is don't own dogs.

G's pks
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    Best advice is don't own dogs.

are sea monkies ok?

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Powderguy View Post
    My brother has 2 half pits and they are the nicest ever. It's the ninjas that raise them to fight and the thugs that own them in the hood, that's why they get a bad rap
    Ninjas

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

get a cat