belvedere86
    belvedere86's Avatar Become A Pro!

Stock investments

Who here makes money from stock investments or trading options? Is it a good time to buy stocks? Or is it better to wait after the elections? Any tips are appreciated.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: lemart5

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 38834

Not a simple question or answer. Depends on your situation and goals. Generally speaking though, I think you will get a chance to buy at lower prices well before the elections.

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

I lose money just like I do betting sports.

I think it's best to have an ultra long view (20-30 years) with the bulk of your portfolo. Focus on yeild, value and high cash flow.

Then have a seperate accounting for your "fun money" go naked long or short using some out of the money options and enjoy the ride. Right now I think the market pulls back but around October I wanna wade back in to some long posiitons into the end of the year. There will be a pop after the elections, doesn't matter who wins as long as there is certainty.

belvedere86

hmm OK actually Im looking at ultra small stocks like arena pharmaceuticals, vringo , oncs, tlon, nviv. I dont see them take crazy drops (according to my limit knowledge) and if i buy them big I can make a nice profit on them. Im looking to buy and sell into a period of 6month. I dont want to keep them for ages...

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6981

lot of different ways of looking at it

plenty of people i know went for a home run and ended up getting 10-15x their money, very tough to do though cuz not too many people have held apple from 10 to 600

i think my strategy is much better, pick a few stocks (NO BIOTECH CUZ THEY CAN EASILY GO TO 0) and sell out of the money puts, or buy the stock and sell covered calls.

do this with stocks that you would want to buy anyway and have huge options premiums (currently i am doing this with cde, mux, fb, penn)

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5599

Fiscal cliff in Jan 13. Serious austerity measures possible. Buyer beware. Personally I'm hiding in "income" yielding lower risk bonds etc until after elections and cliff diving is resolved.

belvedere86

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    lot of different ways of looking at it

plenty of people i know went for a home run and ended up getting 10-15x their money, very tough to do though cuz not too many people have held apple from 10 to 600

i think my strategy is much better, pick a few stocks (NO BIOTECH CUZ THEY CAN EASILY GO TO 0) and sell out of the money puts, or buy the stock and sell covered calls.

do this with stocks that you would want to buy anyway and have huge options premiums (currently i am doing this with cde, mux, fb, penn)
    you say no biotech. but ARNA looks really nice to me. its now at 8.x but I do believe it will go up to +11. and obesity is a huge problem in the USA.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Quote Originally Posted by belvedere86 View Post
    you say no biotech. but ARNA looks really nice to me. its now at 8.x but I do believe it will go up to +11. and obesity is a huge problem in the USA.

Biotechs and other similar trades 'look' nice using those metrics but you can't use the same logic with how many times earnings they get as you do with the larger companies like Wal Mart or Monsanto. Be careful. "earnings" and "profit" on income statements are not the same as 'cash' profits. This is how people lose money in these types of trades along with the fact that if you buy 50K @ .54 and it DOES happen to explode and reach 3.50 then remember that every trade has to have a buy and a sell, so finding a buyer to dump the larger price on at the new level is not a given...its now a higher cost and why would you want to buy AFTER the catalyst has bumped it up to a peak?

If you are really serious about wading into the biotech waters I would advise you to wrap your head around the basics of financial statements/accounting in business...not saying a company is pulling a Tyco or WorldCom every time, but its best to know a true valuation of a company and not just the 'symbol price' and 'multiple' as it relates to the market.

Best of luck
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: NYSportsGuy210

SBR_John
    Wisky

hmm OK actually Im looking at ultra small stocks like arena pharmaceuticals, vringo , oncs, tlon, nviv. I dont see them take crazy drops (according to my limit knowledge) and if i buy them big I can make a nice profit on them. Im looking to buy and sell into a period of 6month. I dont want to keep them for ages...
    ultra small and penny stocks are a waste of time imo.

Better off playing options on potential takeover targets. Neither strategy is investing but at least speculative options on good companies have a chance to payoff.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1073

Actually about 2 or 3 months ago a poster was bragging about how Apple is going to be, I forgot his exact words. Well I fvk around in the stock market and I decided to by some Apple. I must thank him, forgot his handle right now, but in those few short months I made many many thousands profit. Apple went from 4 something to what it is today.

So thank you

Just checked it actually was 5 something, low 5's.
    Last edited by dante1; 08-26-12 at 10:31 PM.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6706

Look into Commodities...you people have NO IDEA how much money there is to make in Futures options

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 130

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    Biotechs and other similar trades 'look' nice using those metrics but you can't use the same logic with how many times earnings they get as you do with the larger companies like Wal Mart or Monsanto. Be careful. "earnings" and "profit" on income statements are not the same as 'cash' profits. This is how people lose money in these types of trades along with the fact that if you buy 50K @ .54 and it DOES happen to explode and reach 3.50 then remember that every trade has to have a buy and a sell, so finding a buyer to dump the larger price on at the new level is not a given...its now a higher cost and why would you want to buy AFTER the catalyst has bumped it up to a peak?

If you are really serious about wading into the biotech waters I would advise you to wrap your head around the basics of financial statements/accounting in business...not saying a company is pulling a Tyco or WorldCom every time, but its best to know a true valuation of a company and not just the 'symbol price' and 'multiple' as it relates to the market.

Best of luck

Just to further clarify what he is saying....always do FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS. This means look at a company's Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement for each quarter and 10K for the yearly report. Since companies use accrual accounting methods on their financial reports the Income Statement alone isn't enough to look at to understand where a stock will go or how it will move.

You must also see how much cold hard cash it is bringing in every quarter and if that is increasing in line with revenue on the Income Statement. Statement of Cash Flows shows you how much cold hard cash a company brings in (not IOU cash) and how much of that cash was brought in from doing business and selling its products and not just form one-time sell-offs of say a company's production equipment.

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    Actually about 2 or 3 months ago a poster was bragging about how Apple is going to be, I forgot his exact words. Well I fvk around in the stock market and I decided to by some Apple. I must thank him, forgot his handle right now, but in those few short months I made many many thousands profit. Apple went from 4 something to what it is today.

So thank you

Just checked it actually was 5 something, low 5's.

You are welcome.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Have also been purchasing GE now for years through a DRIP and via my account with Options. If I am not mistaken I believe it was at 11 when I first started. I did some research and expect GE to recover almost all or at least close. It has been increasing slowly but steadily. I think if you do some research you can make a steady steam of cash.

I also have some money in two REIT's they pay an almost unbelievable dividend. But be careful with these little babies.

dante1
    dante1's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    You are welcome.

No, I don't think it was you. Was it? Some guy said Apple is going to be...... something like that. And he sounded like he was in the know. So I jumped. Was it you? I thought it was a different guy. But, I do remember you being in the conversation. Well if it was thanks.

NYSportsGuy210

Quote Originally Posted by dante1 View Post
    No, I don't think it was you. Was it? Some guy said Apple is going to be...... something like that. And he sounded like he was in the know. So I jumped. Was it you? I thought it was a different guy. But, I do remember you being in the conversation. Well if it was thanks.
    Well yea I was harping getting on Apple since it was in the $415-$420 range about 13 months ago.

belvedere86

maybe now its time to by samsung? share dropped 7%.

SBR_John
    Wisky

I'd wait.

It could take a week or two to fully price in. I like the buy thinking. This will have no effect on them long term.

keyboarding
    SBR's Respected Garbage
    keyboarding's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 805

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Look into Commodities...you people have NO IDEA how much money there is to make in Futures options
    I've made good money off Natural Gas recently.

NYSportsGuy210

As Lemart5 had mentioned once before I like Starbucks long-term too. They are the MacDonald's of the coffee industry and their price should at the very least be in the mid $60's over the long term.

What is the ticker symbol for Samsung? Are they even traded on American exchanges?

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO

if you think Romney will win, load up on coal. Those stocks are
    beaten to oblivion. But ONLY if you think Romney wins.
    ANR ACI JRCC LLEN WLT to name some or the KOL etf.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jarvol

alling
    alling's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

successful billionaires traders going long gold (one has 44% of his portfolio in gold), short municipal bonds.

thats code for blood bath coming.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2857

Quote Originally Posted by NYSportsGuy210 View Post
    Just to further clarify what he is saying....always do FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS. .

Or.....buy/short triple leveraged ETFs like TNA/TZA or UPRO/SPXU based on technical analysis.

belvedere86

today I found this guy named Tim Sykes. Maybe americans will know this guy better. He looks like a tout that sells his picks. Well for 50 bucks he sents you his alerts what you need to buy or sell. Anyone has experience with this guy? A sbrposter (kroyrunner) made a lot of money with this tim skyes guy.

I also read that he uses his followers to move the market in his favour. Dont know if thats true...

JP Varick
    JP Varick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

I have been looking into the Tim Sykes thing and the problem with his strategy is that most (almost no) brokerages allow the shorting of microcap stocks (penny stocks). I know he affiliates with his own brokerage called interactive brokerage but it seems to be some kind of offshore job and Sykes is tied into bringing people over, ala John Morrison and (can't remember the name of that online dump that allowed you to buy 3pts on an NBA line but only after jacking with the odds).

I haven't been able to find a decent microcap stock picker in all my research i.e. microcap millionaire, sykes, market edge, etc. If anyone knows of a halfway decent penny stock tout pass it on.

Bigbill365
    Big Money Bettors
    Bigbill365's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 378

If your a gambler take a look at MSLP (Muscle Pharm) its traded at an all time low but ive seen it raise %50 in 1 day its def a stock to buy sell and buy sell again

JerseyLove
    JerseyLove's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

Gng oil and gold stock great dividends

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8629

Cbis

Along the cannabis line. NBC just had a piece on them today. Jumped 37%. For anyone dabbling in the pennies

ticklz
    Tick L Me Elmo
    ticklz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    Cbis

Along the cannabis line. NBC just had a piece on them today. Jumped 37%. For anyone dabbling in the pennies

Looks real risky, you take a look at their financials?, i think i may wait till she goes down to 3 cents before i even look at err

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4389

IMO there are 2 options.

Be very aggressive and try to make some serious cash taking big risks, or put your money in a mutual fund.

If your just going to buy safe stocks and try to get a decent ROI, let a pro handle it.

ferndog
    ferndog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 425

Trade options in the QQQ's or DIA SPDR. Cheap way to trade. Learn charting. Right now these 2 are overbought. These 2 follow what the dow and s&p etc are doing. Right now wait for a dip and then buy. Look for heavy volume trading which means a good move is coming. On the DIA chart back on June 1 you see heavy volume coming at the 120 price. Since then we have a hit a high of 136.48. Not bad.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3344

Made money this month. Recently bought into STP. Went up from .80 to 1.01 this month. Been very lucrative.

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

what is the sbr of the trading world? looking for a good trading forum
    Points Awarded:

JP Varick gave baskets 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2046

Hearing about Walgreens. Seems solid.
    Going overseas to establish a partnership and become the largest buyer of generic drugs. Lower prices hopefully for years to come with the drug market just getting bigger and bigger, but without the expenses of a bunch of R&D.
    Seems like it makes sense and the stock has rebounded solidly after the 6% drop when the partnershipe was announced.

NYSportsGuy210

Starbucks up nicely about $2 a share in since Tuesday morning.

12 Last