JW Cash
    JW Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!

AK question.................

Played a hand this morning and I cant get it out of my mind....

I am multi-tabling micro NL on PS......with a short stack....

I am in early position and get AK.....I raise it 4 Big Blinds....

A gentlemen in late postition calls my raise.....

The flop comes 2 2 2

Obviously I do not have a made hand but I raise it for the size of the pot...

The late postion guy ( with a stack twice mine) goes All In....

I call.......

He has 4 4.......so yea, he has a full house.....

And of course, if I could get a A or K on the turn or river..I have
    a bigger FH....but it didnt happen....

Should I have called his All In with only the AK with 3 dueces on the flop....

I mean he could have had the case duece or a pair...which he did...

AK would be a slight favorite over his 4 4 ......but I am thinking I made
    a loose call....especially calling HIS All in......If I went All In before him,
    then maybe it would have turned out different.....

I would just like to know what you would have done....

Thanks....
    Last edited by JW Cash; 03-02-11 at 06:27 PM.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

More info is needed. You say you're short stacked, but you don't say how much it's going to cost you to call the all in. Also do you have any info on the player?

JW Cash

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladarus View Post
    More info is needed. You say you're short stacked, but you don't say how much it's going to cost you to call the all in. Also do you have any info on the player?

No info on the player........I had 35 big blinds which I guess would be a medium
    stack.....he had about 70.......

I am thinking no way I should have called HIS all in.....with just Ace high....

If I had KK QQ or even JJ ...it would have been a better all in decision.....

Fieldysnuts44
    @poker table near you
    Fieldysnuts44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Yeah with info given,i definefitely would have put him on medium pair 9's-JJs and folded.He had small pair and was trying to set mine but if he was playing decent TAG poker you should have laid that one down.I would put it in his notes.

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JW Cash View Post
    micro NL on PS
    instacall

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree, I think a fold would be best here without knowing your opponent well. The main problem I have with the way you played the hand is the pot sized bet on the flop. I think you would have been better off raising half the pot or 2/3 the pot. This way you can get away from the hand easier. Without knowing your opponent it's hard to think you're ahead with such a significant re raise. Many times smaller pocket pairs will re raise here to protect their hands. If you are behind you only have 6 outs, which means you got about 24% chance to hit. Also if the board pairs on the turn and river for a higher pair than his hand. Considering you still have 2/3 of your stack back I don't think it's worth the call without having some info on the player.

wiffle
    wiffle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

it sounds like by calling you are risking 20 to win 73 which is about what you need against 33-qq. he could be doing this with an ace or random air because its teh microz. you also win with a 2 against pps.

JW Cash

I agree, I think a fold would be best here without knowing your opponent well. The main problem I have with the way you played the hand is the pot sized bet on the flop. I think you would have been better off raising half the pot or 2/3 the pot. This way you can get away from the hand easier. Without knowing your opponent it's hard to think you're ahead with such a significant re raise. Many times smaller pocket pairs will re raise here to protect their hands. If you are behind you only have 6 outs, which means you got about 24% chance to hit. Also if the board pairs on the turn and river for a higher pair than his hand. Considering you still have 2/3 of your stack back I don't think it's worth the call without having some info on the player.

You make good sense.......I just felt I was behind when he instacalled the all in....

Live and learn.......I usually just bet 2/3 the pot...but with only AK I guess I was
    trying for a bigger raise to get him to lay his hand down........

Thanks.....

JW Cash

double post...............
    Last edited by JW Cash; 03-02-11 at 07:33 PM.

JW Cash

Quote Originally Posted by wiffle View Post
    it sounds like by calling you are risking 20 to win 73 which is about what you need against 33-qq. he could be doing this with an ace or random air because its teh microz. you also win with a 2 against pps.

So if I made this call everytime.....would if be profitable over
    the long term.......

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

Yes... more info needed. You say you're short stack... exactly HOW short stacked? What's his stack? Whats the blinds and howmany bb do you have? lol those can help u analyze the situation.

Second of all, nothing wrong with the call. AK on a board of 222 i woulda done the same thing, PROVIDED the difference between your bet on the flop and his all in did not have too big of a $ difference. Would also help if u told us the % pot u bet on the flop

lolguy999
    C++ programming sucks..
    lolguy999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

all-in at micro tables usually signifies strength unless he's a known fish. So yes and no to that. its all situational

JW Cash

Quote Originally Posted by lolguy999 View Post
    all-in at micro tables usually signifies strength unless he's a known fish. So yes and no to that. its all situational

I had bet a pot size bet on the flop and then he reraised all in......

I had 35 Big Blinds before the hand and he had something like 75...

I had raised 4 Big Blinds preflop and he called....so when I raised a pot
    size bet on the flop...that would leave me with 23 Big Blinds left and he
    should have had approximatley 71 when he raised me all in....
    So that would have been around the pct that you were talking about....

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

Quote Originally Posted by JW Cash View Post
    AK would be a slight favorite over his 4 4 ......but I am thinking I made
    a loose call....especially calling HIS All in......If I went All In before him,
    then maybe it would have turned out different.....
    AK is not a slight fav your more than a 3/1 underdog on that flop

itriedsohard
    BIG PLAYS
    itriedsohard's Avatar Become A Pro!

easy fold. if your super short stacked, should have shoved preflop.