Kingctb27
    Kingctb27's Avatar Become A Pro!

Hold em advice?

Any sites that can really help you out in holdem? I seem to be getting some really bad beats and I am wondering if my approach is wrong or if I am really with the odds. It's gotten so bad I am about to quit altogether.

IE, Earlier today, I get pocket aces, bet 5 pre-flop which is called by a guy, then after the flop, which is 3, 2, 6 (all off suit) I bet another ten. One calls. Then, 4th street comes and it's like a 9 or some other low card. I go all-in ($25) and end up losing to trip 3's. Was it the wrong move to go so fast?

Disgusting.

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Sometimes A's lose. I would have slowed down on the turn, but that's tough to see coming.

Cappy
    Cappy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

If you want good poker advice you should go to http://www.twoplustwo.com the poker discussion there is the best in the industry to my knowledge.

EdwardA
    EdwardA's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's not that you did something wrong, it's just probability. Aces are the best hand BEFORE the flop. I stopped counting how often I lost with pocket aces.

jolub
    jolub's Avatar Become A Pro!

There's a reason this game's called gambling.

MonkeyF0cker
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

You should always be wary of facing a set when you hold AA, especially with low to mid card flops. What you don't want to do is overplay the hand, which is essentially what you did. I'm not sure what stakes you were playing, but with any raise, you should always stick to the same amount (generally 3x the big blind) so as not to telegraph your hand. It also affords you the ability to not commit yourself to that hand and either slow down and check the turn or let go of the hand completely. For instance, if you had only raised to $3 preflop, you would have only had to led out with $6 on the flop and then if you check the turn, the damage is minimal even if you decide to call a pot-sized bet on the river. Although the call was marginally bad preflop (assuming he was the only other caller) since he would have needed you to have $50 behind for +EV implied odds, its not entirely considered a bad beat since he flopped the set. Remember, often times, the only way I commit my entire stack with AA is almost always only preflop or else if I've made a monster with it. (i.e. aces full, nut flush, nut straight, etc.). The hand is often overvalued and can certainly get you into trouble if you aren't careful with it.

VegasDave
    Philosophy Frog
    VegasDave's Avatar Become A Pro!

A phrase I've heard a lot around the poker table is "AA is only good for winning small pots and losing big ones".

Its an excellent hand to have in tournament play when people are going all in left and right, and it is great when the flop comes along the lines of K 7 2 because people with KQ, KJ think they have this hand won. Keep in mind though it will lose, don't think it is an invincible hand.

On the flip side, don't ever be afraid of them. I've seen some people get so embittered by them that they raise way too much preflop to try to avoid playing with them. It is the best starting hand in the game, no more, no less.

Panic
    Panic's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kingctb, there isnt a poker player alive who hasnt run into a stretch of bad beats and indecision. Just hang in there.

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 277

Pure luck game, play like a lunatic and get lucky you'll be rich, play perfect mathematics and get bad luck/cards and you'll go broke, don't let any of these barrelled in fuks tell ya different, I've seen guys that are jealous of down's syndrome patients break entire tables full of Ganch's

MonkeyF0cker
    MonkeyF0cker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Ugh. Horrible advice. Poker is a long term positive expected growth game. One session means relatively nothing to your long run expectation. Beats happen. It's part of the game. Getting your money in good is all that matters. If you do that consistently, you WILL be a profitable player in the long term. It's a marathon. Not a race.

donjuan
    donjuan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6195

Pure luck game, play like a lunatic and get lucky you'll be rich, play perfect mathematics and get bad luck/cards and you'll go broke, don't let any of these barrelled in fuks tell ya different, I've seen guys that are jealous of down's syndrome patients break entire tables full of Ganch's
    My advice is to seek out fish like the quoted poster.

element1286
    element1286's Avatar Become A Pro!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, it is tough not to get stacked in that situation, especially in a cash game. In the long run you want guys calling your pre-flop raises with pocket 3's, especially when you have them crushed with an over pair.

Bullajami
    Bullajami's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

www.internettexasholdem.com is also a good site, and quite a bit less of the silliness that happens at 2+2.

If you like silliness, though, =4 may be your ticket!

SBR Founder Join Date: 12/23/2005