imgv94
    imgv94's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

POKER TIPS. Hold`em

Hey guys,Can you guys give me some Poker tips in
    Hold`em? I would consider myself an average player.
    Biggest lesson I learned was patience. Out of 20 hands
    how many would you guys say you stay in. Also
    how effective is bluffing for you. Any help from u
    guys is appreciated.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

dude my first tip would be to stop playing holdem.................lol and start playing omaha hilo.......thats where the very easy money is these day. The major reason for this is simple many players who play are holdem players and they over value their hands greatly. For emaple a queen high flush in holdem is going to win the pot majority of the times.........in omaha hilo queen high flush is nothing since players are dealt 4 cards..........alot of holdem players playing omahe hilo cant lay down a queen high flush and its making hilo just a ATM for anyone willing to play strict starting hands preflop...............

imgv94

How many hands out of 50 do u stay in? Pre-flop

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

IMGV, One method is only play pocket pairs,+ AK AQ ( I think it is the Helmuth method)

It gets kinda boring but your % will go up drastically, the drawback is it sucks folding 8 out of every ten hands.

Alot depends on what stakes you are playing, along with the way other players are playing.

If people are playing to loose or to tight you can find ways to exploit it. If you are serious about playing you may want to consider picking up a book( SUPERSYSTEM) for some general info/strategy.

Nothing beats experiance in poker.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

I try to follow this method, but always get bored and play hands I shouldn't.

scottyy11
    scottyy11's Avatar Become A Pro!

this is a complex question in any game.....it depends on alot of factors...number #1 is what level are you playing?.......#2 is how is the rest of the table playing? (these are the top 2 things to consider..others are your stack size, are you playing pl,nl or limit, what site are you on..tight site like full tilt or loosey goosey one?, how do the other players see you? what style of player are you can you play well after the flop?ect......

You have to consider your own skills......if your a good player after the flop and can read others well call more preflop...myself I preach super tight play .....

sorry not trying to give you a fluffy answer but in generally if i was playing 50/1 I would play super tight ( and as bluffing goes dont bother with it very often as players are bound to call at that level- if your gonna bluff go after the the solid players at the table but also consider how these players view you, make sure they see you as solid..biggest mistake I see is players trying to bluff the worst player at the table aka the call station.

If your under 15% preflop your probably to tight...if your over 30% your probably to lose..........I would play alot more if I was in a nice passive table with very little preflop raising, and if you can keep taking flops on the cheap do so with your medium starters......if you can get into nice big multi pots with your 76s or 79s one gappers go for it but try and stay away from 75 off and k5 suited type junk...avoid ace rag in multi pots and raised pots....play ace suited if you can limp for its nut flush value specially in med-late position.

Most of your money in these low limit type 50/1 games comes from flopping sets.....so I play every pocket pair myself (just about)and will call any preflop raise upto 5-10% of my stack. As far as books go most of them are junk but i do think Harrington on Holdem I II are two landmark books and are a great investment. These 2 books will improve your game! though they are written more for tourns, they are the only two poker books i ever bought that were not a let down.

GL

imgv94

Thanks. I know one thing, I prefer to play in higher limit games. I was playing
    .50/1.00 tables and was tired of everybody playing like jack offs. Now I play
    in 2/4 and 3/6 games and have been doing alot better. ALOT BETTER. I have
    won 3 times in a row. I heard theres people that make a living playing poker
    online. I wish I could be a better poker player.

Dead Money
    Dead Money's Avatar Become A Pro!

Try playing at no limit tables. start of with like 10 -25 no limit.

I like the style and type of players it brings. Just play semitight. If you see flops with suited connectors, or even unsuited you can get some solid hands.

I absolutley cannot play limit poker.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

imgv94,

Actually, you can think of the question in reverse. "How many hands do you feel like playing?"

For me, I fluctuate. Sometimes I feel like playing a lot of hands, sometimes I feel like sitting back and not playing so many. Shorthanded, you can play more hands, especially if the players are passive. Otherwise, at a full table you should only really be seeing the flop maybe 25% of the time, even less if the table is aggressive at all.

So, if you feel like seeing 40% of the flops, try finding a 5-way table with the players playing passively.

If you feel like seeing 10% of the flops, find a 9-way table with aggressive players.

imgv94

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Money
    Try playing at no limit tables. start of with like 10 -25 no limit.

I like the style and type of players it brings. Just play semitight. If you see flops with suited connectors, or even unsuited you can get some solid hands.

I absolutley cannot play limit poker.
    I've been fvcked so bad in NL poker it's sad. I
    understand the potential on those tables though
    cause at first I was doing good, 1st day playing NL
    I won $400. I have had some bad shit happen to me
    on those tables ever since.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

imgv94, If I were you, I'd just stick to sports betting, unless you're just blowing off steam or whatever. Playing poker well takes an investment of time and effort. It takes a lot of experience and study to really become a master at it. It takes a lot of time. In a lot of ways it is a waste of time, IMO. It's a bad habit. lol

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Spot on slacker, playing poker well to the point of making money takes a lot of time and effort. Patience is key, particularly when you seem to be getting no hands to play. Drives me penetrating nuts at times, excuse the language. Similarly if you find that things are going well and your up, STOP PLAYING. You can always come back later and play again. I don't now how many times i've either seen it or had it happen to me, staying there too long only to see things go backwards and thinking i/you should have left a long time ago.

QuickLearner
    QuickLearner's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mad
    Similarly if you find that things are going well and your up, STOP PLAYING. You can always come back later and play again.
    Stop/loss and stop/win strategies are controversial. If you're beating the game and still playing your best, why should your stack size matter? You have an advantage if you're rolling the table.

On the other hand, if you're stuck a bunch you need to consider more than your stack. Are you tilting? Are you fatigued and no longer able to play your best? Has your table image been damaged enough so you are perceived as a loser? I believe in changing tables if your image is shot and quitting the session entirely if you aren't playing your best. But I don't quit simply because I'm down.

LVHerbie
    LVHerbie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1973

Quote Originally Posted by QuickLearner
    Stop/loss and stop/win strategies are controversial. If you're beating the game and still playing your best, why should your stack size matter? You have an advantage if you're rolling the table.

On the other hand, if you're stuck a bunch you need to consider more than your stack. Are you tilting? Are you fatigued and no longer able to play your best? Has your table image been damaged enough so you are perceived as a loser? I believe in changing tables if your image is shot and quitting the session entirely if you aren't playing your best. But I don't quit simply because I'm down.

This is a very good reply... If you are in a good game (and the amount you are up or down doesn't matter to you) then the +EV, LONGTERM, is to keep playing.. For me personally, I find that when I get up big that I like to start gambling so usually if I get up like a buyin or two I start looking for the door... but this personal and if you are beginner, or can admit you are recrectional player (ie losing player), then it is would probably be good idea to quit when ever you get up alot...

BTW imgv, when do you play on Fulltilt? I've been playing there alot (clearing a bonus and trying to get 10,000 points for the WSOP freeroll) and looked for you a couple times and haven't found you... Your screen name is IMGV94 on there right?

McFly
    McFly's Avatar Become A Pro!

You have got to adjust to your table and play position. These are the 2 key ingrediants to a winning session.
    If your table is tight and folding a lot (say flop % is in the 20's) you need to be in there playing a few more hands than normal. And raising. If you get played back at, you can decide if you want to proceed.
    If your table is loose, tighten up a bit with your starting hands. Pocket pairs and AK, AQ would do ya.
    Position is everything...if you got it, flaunt it.