scorbles
    scorbles's Avatar Become A Pro!

Simple poker strategy for the girlfriend in vegas...

Headed to Vegas with the girlfriend. She is up for playing some poker (and I'm sure will be tons of fun at the table) but has no poker skills. It doesn't stress me out if she loses a few buyins but whats the max value I can get for her out of a really simple strategy. Here is what I am thinking... (we will be playing low limit no limit):
    - minimum buyin for the table
    - just play pairs
    - AA or KK bet 1/2 stack pre flop and the rest on the flops
    - QQ - 22, limp, fold to any raise more than a couple BBs, if the set hits bet 1/2 her stack on flop and 1/2 on turn
    She will be there mostly to drink and socialize so she won't mind the boredom of playing so few hands. I think she would do alright with this strategy (bleed slowly and maybe get the odd double-up which she would be pumped about).
    Opinions?

BeerDog99
    BeerDog99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 177

I would add suited AK and AQ to that range. Also, depending on the stack sizes, (if she has dbled up). I would start out with open pushes at the min buyin. until you get a healthy stack. The key thing to make this effective is to make the people to her right scared that they will be playing for most of their chips if she catches a hand.

Also, make sure to tell her to not look at her cards until the action is to her. If she is going to play this way and also be more about social, it is fine as long as she has not looked at her cards to give away how interested she will be to play.

Enjoy and good luck. I found Planet Hollywood had a pretty good room where this type of strategy will pay off. Alot of people will call off with A-10 and above.

Cheers.

Kaabee
    Kaabee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 113

QQ limp and fold to raise?

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

whats min buy in for 1/2 at most places 40? that strategy honestly is terrible. just play your 10-15 hands Aces-like 7s and aj, aq, AK. open for a raise and then if u want to 3 bet just like 3 bet ship. can never ever fold queens in any spot. i wouldn't honestly fold any of those hands when i am shortstacking the table

rdo37
    rdo37's Avatar Become A Pro!

Give her $100 and have her buy in min at a full table (usually $50 at the 1/2 table). Have her play the yellow hands only. Tell her to raise $8 preflop and shove all-in on the flop. Except don't go all-in on a flop with an A or K when she doesn't have one in her hand (have her check/fold). If there's a raise in front of her, tell her to only play AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AKs, AKo and to raise it all-in preflop. If she loses an all-in, have her buy-in again and that will be her stop-loss. She will probably come out +money with this strategy, getting a lot of folds on the flop.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

She could hold up longer and have just as good of a time in a tournament. Shove the hands in the graph above, loosen up with limpers/dead money in the pot, and tighten up when against a raise. Sklansky wrote something about this in one of his books, but I can't remember which one.

mvp123
    mvp123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5039

she be better off playin craps or bj maybe. thats fun too

eastvan09
    eastvan09's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1728

buy in for atleast a hundred

Conan
    Conan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 818

min buyin is the correct play for a shove fold stratagy and as mentioned above i would include QQ and JJ in your bet pre hands and i would adjust to 1/3 pre/on flop then 2/3 flop/turn insted of the 1/2 then 1/2. and tourni would be a good idea playing tight like that workes well in tournis and also as mentioned sklansky does outline a similar stratagy in one of his books if she will be playing in a tourni i would recomend you getting this book it is a good book other than just that stratagy and it may be the best beginer way to play a tourni

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

RDO's advice is solid; I would add two things to this

1) dont look at her cards until it her time to act
    2) Clearly state her bet before touching her chips

rki999
    rki999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

Ace anything Call.AA,KK,QQ All in

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Just give her twenty dollars and send to the slots. She will not stick to the plan..she will have favorite hands and pretty cards

hunterwrot
    hunterwrot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Haha she will lose your money. I agree with mighty.