Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Question

What's the deal with all the online poker rooms? I don't get it. Isn't poker about reading the other players?

The only way I would find this interesting is to have two or three players at the same -high stakes - table, who tell each other over the phone what cards they have. Ooops. I guess nobody must have thought of that...

PokerRoomReview.com
    PokerRoomReview.com's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse
    The only way I would find this interesting is to have two or three players at the same -high stakes - table, who tell each other over the phone what cards they have. Ooops. I guess nobody must have thought of that...
    That my friend is a recipe for disaster.

You should try a poker room and give a free roll a try, you never know, you may end up liking it.

GL

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

That would be a recipe for disaster. But the question is for who... lol

Thanks for the invitation, but no thanks. Too time consuming (even if you put in your time and get any good, you still have to sit for days at a table), and too many people doing it. Good luck with it.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Dark Horse,

You're right that being able to stare a guy in the face can be very important when playing poker. But, poker is also about mathematics and strategy, which can be done with or without seeing your opponent. I agree that online poker misses a major dimension of live poker, but it still has enough to draw people to the virtual table.

Online poker also has a lot of benefits that live poker cannot. Games are available 24/7, as long as you have a computer and internet access, you can find a game. Game selection is exponential compared to live poker. Virtually every poker flavor and limit is available from tournaments to shorthanded ring games, Omaha, Hold Em, Stud, or anything else. Plus, table selection is substantial, with so many people playing online. Plus, hands can take seconds rather than minutes. Live, 40 hands per hour is a very fast pace. Online, it's not unusual for a shorthanded table to go 100 hands per hour. Multitable, and you could be doing 300 hands an hour or more. Although, I wouldn't advice doing that without a lot of experience!

I've played both, and the difference between live poker and online poker is like night and day. Online, forget about getting much of a read on a player, because even if you can figure a guy out, poof, he's gone and another stranger takes his seat. Live, you might see the same guys day after day at the local card room. Both online and live have their own characteristics, but both are viable forms of poker.

mad
    mad's Avatar Become A Pro!

Boys what's the deal with freerolls? I'm always hearing about them but have never bothered to check them out at all.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina

Good info, Slacker. But how do you know those players across you from the table aren't one the phone with each other? I mean, how easy would it be to set up a high roller in this way? And he would never know... If he's bluffing, but your 'team' has the card he needs... that type of stuff.

biggs
    biggs's Avatar Become A Pro!

mad

free rolls are just that, they are free tournaments, free entry with cash prizes.......not a bad deal, im about to play one at doyles room, played a coulpe of at stars, their fun.

dark

the poker rooms have systems of detection against collusion and verious forms of cheating......you do it. you get caught. you lose your balance.

not a good thing to be involved in

GL guys, may the poker gods be upon you