hunterwrot
    hunterwrot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

heads up

why do people think the only play heads up is all in or fold? i was in a heads up shootout on pokerstars and i won the first 4 matches just waiting on a hand and limping. every time the other player went all in with junk and i won. on my 5th i have aq suited and i limp, dude goes all in, i call him, he has ace jack suited hearts. flop was all hearts. i got unlucky but still cashed 50 and if i won that hand i would have went to next level and probably had another donk doing the same thing. then i play an 18 player tourney get to heads up and blinds are only 300 600. dude goes all in every hand til i call him with ak and his jack 2 wins.

Czu81
    Czu81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5709

after reading this I'm thinking about trying HU on stars...

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

Eh, bigger advantage for you. Most people are simply scared to play a hand post-flop. You will only hit a pair on the flop a little less than 1/3 of the time.

Also, keep in mind, the all-in move actually helps newbies overcome most of the advantage of their more skilled adversaries. It puts the better player to a decision and, most of the time, they won't have a hand to call with and hands they will call with will only be between a 55-65% favorite. The better players much prefer slowly chipping away at your stack with superior post-flop play and keep the pots small unless they have a trappable hand.

Lincoln73
    Lincoln73's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

playing heads up on pokerstars, i will often dump the 1st few hands just to give the image of an extremely tight player. The other guy usually starts getting overaggressive with raises and if i get a premium hand i quickly reraise all in, which would induce a fold with decent players, but these jabronies seem unable to admit defeat and will often call with garbage hands. Have won good money playing in the $10.00 heads up games at PS.

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

need some actual hand histories to have any idea what is actually going on here....

whatsgood5
    Let's fuckin' do it
    whatsgood5's Avatar Become A Pro!

What the hell were you playing? A $2 tournament?

hunterwrot
    hunterwrot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

no a 10 dollar heads up shootout with six hundred or so players. i take pride in my heads up game but now it seems players either fold or all in and if they limp it means they have a monster ak aa kk qq or jj. Im not complaining at all i like money so i love playing with losing players. I agree with hot diggity. it is because they dont know how to play a hand post flop if they do not make their hand.

diamond
    diamond's Avatar Become A Pro!

I prefer headsup to anything.

kzee89
    kzee89's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Heads up is like a 50/50 shot at winning, literally anything goes. I have been bad beated so many times from playing head up and having the best possible hand at the flop.

Bswitz32
    Update your status
    Bswitz32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 364

I completely agree. All in or fold is just for the novice. They cant play post flop at all. Oh well more of an advantage to you'

BOL

JohnnyDr@ma
    JohnnyDr@ma's Avatar Become A Pro!

i can almost bet you OP is talking about the HU hyper turbo at 620 or 1120 with a 10.20 buy in. In that case its correct to shove almost every button with 10 bbs, limping is pretty much awful if this is the tourney your talking about b.c ur not going to get AK-AQ with such few blinds, what it seems like your waiting for

JohnnyDr@ma

Quote Originally Posted by Czu81 View Post
    after reading this I'm thinking about trying HU on stars...
    the low Hus on stars are not difficult to beat, just playing straight forward, moving to mediums is where it starts to get difficult

Phightin' Phils
    Phightin' Phils's Avatar Become A Pro!

agreed, the hu's dont start to get tough till the $50+ range

JohnnyDr@ma

Quote Originally Posted by Phightin' Phils View Post
    agreed, the hu's dont start to get tough till the $50+ range
    yea then you hope for the random fish here and there

framboise
    framboise's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdiggity11 View Post
    Eh, bigger advantage for you. Most people are simply scared to play a hand post-flop. You will only hit a pair on the flop a little less than 1/3 of the time.

Also, keep in mind, the all-in move actually helps newbies overcome most of the advantage of their more skilled adversaries. It puts the better player to a decision and, most of the time, they won't have a hand to call with and hands they will call with will only be between a 55-65% favorite. The better players much prefer slowly chipping away at your stack with superior post-flop play and keep the pots small unless they have a trappable hand.
    excellent post

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

its common for all in-fold in turbos blinds r too big ehads up

Phightin' Phils

speaking of hu, i believe annie duke won the hu tourny this year. shocker.

mrmarket
    Update your status
    mrmarket's Avatar Become A Pro!

If you're limping in HU play you should not be proud of your HU game. Shoving preflop over a limp could be a perfectly fine play. The problem is we don't know stack sizes in relation to blinds.

Margin Walker
    Margin Walker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1255

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln73 View Post
    playing heads up on pokerstars, i will often dump the 1st few hands just to give the image of an extremely tight player. The other guy usually starts getting overaggressive with raises and if i get a premium hand i quickly reraise all in, which would induce a fold with decent players, but these jabronies seem unable to admit defeat and will often call with garbage hands. Have won good money playing in the $10.00 heads up games at PS.

You're a smart man. This is my strategy as well.

B1GER1C828
    Bostoneric
    B1GER1C828's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 318

I consider myself a good heads up player and what lincoln said is generally the strategy u'll find nowadays. Though i dont do tons of just heads up games, but when i do thats wat i see.

sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

this is something i never did
    i will have to start trying

JohnnyDr@ma

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarket View Post
    If you're limping in HU play you should not be proud of your HU game. Shoving preflop over a limp could be a perfectly fine play. The problem is we don't know stack sizes in relation to blinds.
    was a hyper turbo lol so shove anytime is fine

Phightin' Phils

haha hyper turbos are like flipping a coin, theyre only good for a quick hit, if possible.

Gunpher
    Gunpher's Avatar Become A Pro!

I love to play heads up, haven't done it in a while!