Colonist
    Colonist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3470

Nitrogen reduces freeroll opportunities for 2nd time in a month

Effective today, the total prize fund for the Daily freeroll and the weekly freerolls on Nitrogen were reduced significantly for the 2nd time since May 1. The total reduction is 72% as compared to before May 1. They are now giving out only .525BTC vs 1.875BTC each week. With their insanely high rake, the freerolls were the only think keeping players afloat. Not any longer.

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13815

Quote Originally Posted by Colonist View Post
    Effective today, the total prize fund for the Daily freeroll and the weekly freerolls on Nitrogen were reduced significantly for the 2nd time since May 1. The total reduction is 72% as compared to before May 1. They are now giving out only .525BTC vs 1.875BTC each week. With their insanely high rake, the freerolls were the only think keeping players afloat. Not any longer.
    It's been a while since I've played them. But for years, I'd play almost daily because of these. Yes, the rake was high because when btc price went up, they never adjusted anything.

I will say- there is constant abuse. Most players just swap back chips playing LHE games and then chop the freeroll winnings (off site). It was a good way to make a lot of money doing this. But I'm not shocked, they were losing money from these, without question. I'm not shocked they did this.

Colonist
    Colonist's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3470

Quote Originally Posted by Crusherrr View Post
    It's been a while since I've played them. But for years, I'd play almost daily because of these. Yes, the rake was high because when btc price went up, they never adjusted anything.

I will say- there is constant abuse. Most players just swap back chips playing LHE games and then chop the freeroll winnings (off site). It was a good way to make a lot of money doing this. But I'm not shocked, they were losing money from these, without question. I'm not shocked they did this.
    I played LHE extensively at Nitrogen during this period to qualify for these freerolls and made an astonishing amount of money over the past 10 months. You are correct, Nitro had to be losing money on their poker product and are either just now identifying this or have given up on investing in their poker platform. What a shame because this was amongst the better cash grabs that I've ever seen in online gaming history. I wasn't aware of the abuse that you mention. I was certainly not sharing or working in tandem with anyone else.

Crusherrr
    Please don't feed the trolls
    Crusherrr's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13815

Quote Originally Posted by Colonist View Post
    I played LHE extensively at Nitrogen during this period to qualify for these freerolls and made an astonishing amount of money over the past 10 months. You are correct, Nitro had to be losing money on their poker product and are either just now identifying this or have given up on investing in their poker platform. What a shame because this was amongst the better cash grabs that I've ever seen in online gaming history. I wasn't aware of the abuse that you mention. I was certainly not sharing or working in tandem with anyone else.
    Yeah they were giving a fortune away. I wasn't accusing you of any wrongdoing, but that doesnt mean it wasn't happening. Players were swapping chips back and forth in LHE and then chopping up freeroll equity and/or playing essentially using a joint bankroll in the games.

But yeah, I can't say I blame them for getting rid of the bulk of the value on these. I think they are still giving back more than they take it. The only nice thing is instead of 7.5 points for the bottom tier, its now just 5.