SorryImLate
    SorryImLate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 366

A poker tragedy

https://twitter.com/DanielColman_/status/1390796548368334848

Dan Colman started playing at a young age, mainly playing HU SNGs on stars. He would flood the lobby registering and waiting many more tables than the reg with the next highest volume. He befriended Olivier Busquet who was probably the only one who played nearly as many hours and tables. They agreed to never play each other, but was later caught playing vs OB under a new SN. They remained friends. OB has always been endearing towards DC and the community. One of a kind.

After DC's 2014 One Drop win, which had a $111,111 rake and was organized by one of online pokers -$ player, he would decline interviews from local Vegas reporters. In his only postgame with ESPN he would state

"I really don’t owe anyone an explanation but I’ll give one.First off, I don’t owe poker a single thing. I’ve been fortunate enough to benefit financially from this game, but I have played it long enough to see the ugly side of this world. It is not a game where the pros are always happy and living a fulfilling life. To have a job where you are at the mercy of variance can be insanely stressful and can lead to a lot of unhealthy habits. I would never in a million years recommend for someone to try and make it as a poker pro.
    It is also not a game where the amateurs are always happy to be losing their money for the sake of entertainment. The losers lose way more money at this game than winners are winning. A lot of this is money they can’t afford to lose. This is fine of course because if someone is dumb enough to gamble with money they cant afford to lose, that’s their problem. I’m not really buying that though. In a perfect world, markets are based on informed consumers making rational transactions. In reality, sadly, that’s not the case. Markets are based on advertising trying to play on peoples impulses and targeting their weaknesses in order for them to make irrational decisions. I get it if someone wants to go and play poker on their own free will, but I don’t agree with gambling being advertised just like I don’t agree with cigarettes and alcohol being advertised.
    It bothers me that people care so much about poker’s well-being. As poker is a game that has such a net negative effect on the people playing it. Both financially and emotionally.
    As for promoting myself, I feel that individual achievements should rarely be celebrated. I am not going to take part in it for others and I wouldn’t want it for myself. If you wonder why our society is so infatuated by individuals and their success, and being a baller, it is not that way for no reason. It is there because it serves a clear purpose. If you get people to look up to someone and adhere to the “gain wealth, forget all but self” motto, then you can get them to ignore the social contract which is very good for power systems. Also it serves as a means of distraction to get people to not pay attention to the things that do matter.
    These are just my personal views. And yes, I realize I am conflicted. I capitalize off this game that targets peoples weaknesses. I do enjoy it, I love the strategy part of it, but I do see it as a very dark game."

Months after at an EPT Barcelona FT with Olivier he would wear a "Free Palestine" shirt that prompted OB to wear a "Save Gaza" shirt. After complaints from fans the Pokerstars head of communications(??) Eric Hollreiser would state

In retrospect it was a mistake to allow them entry. Our tournaments are designed to promote poker and poker competition and not as a platform for political statements. Players have many channels to express their views on world politics, but our tournaments are not an appropriate place. We will refuse entry to any player displaying political statements of any kind.

In recent months DC was on the losing side of DFS bets and despite catching the con, was unable to collect or make the public aware of how he got scammed. Essentially he was staking someone who was dumping using bad lineups. Now no one can stand up for DC. Arbitrators have backed out and remained silent. $3-5 million in bitcoin paid. Someone has reached out to collect for him, but was ignored.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

bumer

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Colman got scammed by a prick. His fault he accepted to do ANYTHING with Sean Perry.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

SorryImLate

Sean Perry has had a longstanding debt with Sam Soverel. SS went to DC saying SP was looking for more action. TheMasterson being a good player and SS's friend was enough of an alibi for the entire public to after SP.

Someone has offered to collect from SS. I think DC is too scared of SS

What's sad about this is guys like Aaron Jones and Ryan Daut come in with a total lack of understanding of this basic chip dump. Most people would already know to stay away from SP
    Last edited by SorryImLate; 06-14-21 at 03:57 AM. Reason: True.

SorryImLate

One of the best, if not the best tournament and cash game player in the world slides under the radar after getting caught collecting $4 million off heist.
    Last edited by SorryImLate; 06-14-21 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Player

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

To have a job where you are at the mercy of variance can be insanely stressful and can lead to a lot of unhealthy habits. I would never in a million years recommend for someone to try and make it as a poker pro.
    It is also not a game where the amateurs are always happy to be losing their money for the sake of entertainment. The losers lose way more money at this game than winners are winning. A lot of this is money they can’t afford to lose.

Thanks for posting that. This DC guy brought up alot of good points. I had a good run at poker from 2004-07 as a semi-pro. I made $12,500 on Bodog/Bovada alone in May 2005.
    Gambling can be a rush, but in the end its not morally upstanding in any way. It doesn't produce goods or services that somebody would need. I still love to play and I bet alot of football every year, but as I get older it means less and less to me.

My God, it was unhealthy too. I'd drink 2-3 liters a night of soda to stay up and play tournaments all night. I had jowls. I don't even like to look at pictures from back then. I'm 54 now and feel 100x better.
    Last edited by Fred The Hammer; 06-14-21 at 04:17 AM.

SorryImLate

Always felt the merits of winning money from dead end players was to prevent scumbags from getting it. He was a child who just wanted the respect of adults and was likely playing for a small %. At any given time everyone has some chance of being +EV

Fred The Hammer
    Fred The Hammer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8395

Quote Originally Posted by Sato View Post
    Colman got scammed by a prick. His fault he accepted to do ANYTHING with Sean Perry.
    Bottom line in this instance is that Mr. Colman was greedy and didn't do his homework. Sounds like Mr Perry was obviously shady and optimal lineups for daily fantasy are all computerized. Its been that way for years. Stupid to lose enough to complain about with daily fantasy?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I always said poker players are the biggest scums in the world

Will steal from their own families every one of them to play poker
    Points Awarded:

gauchojake gave jjgold 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

SorryImLate

I think you're projecting. A donkey can't see its own tail

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

So. Is Colman tapped out?

Colman won $15Mill on the One Drop. That's supposed to be life-changing $$.

Losing significant $$ on DFS doesn't make sense to me. Of course, it's tied to personnel information. SOMEBODY out there invariably has a better info source.

ChuckyTheGoat

ChuckyTheGoat

It's interesting to me to discuss poker players and their results. Colman was (largely) viewed as a significant winner that you didn't want to fk with.

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25522

The word is he has BTC from the early days Chucky.

If that is true he has major F-you money.
    Points Awarded:

ChuckyTheGoat gave pablo222 3 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by pablo222 View Post
    The word is he has BTC from the early days Chucky.

If that is true he has major F-you money.

Wow, very true. Any substantial investment would be sitting on a return of 1,000x (or even more).

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    So. Is Colman tapped out?

Colman won $15Mill on the One Drop. That's supposed to be life-changing $$.

Losing significant $$ on DFS doesn't make sense to me. Of course, it's tied to personnel information. SOMEBODY out there invariably has a better info source.
    i thought he had backers for that didn't get the full amount

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13188

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

I never met so many scammers, cheats, angle shooters, and otherwise unsavory characters than in poker. Burt Rapp was an amateur compared to these guys. Good work jj

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

why did colman keep betting with him, he was losing losing losing losing, hello

If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47501

I'm not sure this is a "tragedy" if Colman didn't do his due diligence before bankrolling someone. It's his own fault if that's the case.

jjgold

It’s not a tragedy these people are all clowns and deserve what they get

SorryImLate

Imagine sitting 30 different regs heads up online when you wake up and they all say No Thx

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Hammer View Post

I'd drink 2-3 liters a night of soda to stay up and play tournaments all night.
    20 milligrams of Adderall is a much better option.

SorryImLate

At least 2 of them would pay $100+ an hour for coaching and another 8 would be too ashamed to admit it

stevenash

Ivey at the top of the list.
    Lederer is squirrelly too, I don’t trust his skank sister all that much either.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Ivey at the top of the list.
    Lederer is squirrelly too, I don’t trust his skank sister all that much either.
    all scum

ChuckyTheGoat

all scum
    Gee. Generalize much?

There ARE guys who use poker to make their living. They work hard at it. It's just a coincidence that they DON'T have 365,000 posts on a msg board.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 235

Only a few good ones

most poker pros jerks

ChuckyTheGoat

What was Colman's ROI the year he won the One Drop? Massive.

That's right when he was on a heater. Similar to the Fedor Holz-type heater. Even if u throw out the One Drop, his ROI that year had to be huge.

And I'd imagine his ROI in the years around there were good, too. I seem to recall that he stopped playing much after the big win.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero

makes u wonder about about colmans iq

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    Only a few good ones

most poker pros jerks
    Mike Sexton was a very good one.
    His partner VVP always struck me as a stand up guy.
    There's a few good ones.

SorryImLate

I've heard Mike Sexton was a cheat in home games

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 235

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Mike Sexton was a very good one.
    His partner VVP always struck me as a stand up guy.
    There's a few good ones.
    Yes sexton is a good one

but he from ur generation ...

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    Yes sexton is a good one

but he from ur generation ...
    How old do you think I am?
    I'm not older than dirt you know.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by SorryImLate View Post
    I've heard Mike Sexton was a cheat in home games
    Who spread that rumor?
    Pros tell me he was honest as the day is long.

12 Last